NEED HELP: American rules about flying.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi friends.

In 2 weeks I´ll be in New York City for tourism. I have some doubts about boarding with a flashlight in my pocket.

I´m brazilian and I´m a federal agent. I know it means nothing in other country´s jurisdiction, but at least it shows I´m not the bad guy. My flight will depart from Brasilia to Atlanta, then from Atlanta to NYC.

Can I go with my Surefire E1L inside my hand luggage? Are you REALLY certain about that?

I don´t want to have my beloved light apprehended in Atlanta airport, before departure for NYC.

So... can someone explain me about american boarding rules?

I intend to carry only a flashlight. Not guns, not knives.

Thanks!

Imon

Enlightened
There's usually a recent "flying with flashlights" thread going on either in the General Flashlight discussion forum or in the LED Flashlight forum.
If you search for one of these threads you'll get pages of results.

I did a bit of flying earlier this year - just make sure if you're going to carry lithium batteries that you take them on with your carry-on and keep them compartmentalized. The E1L should be able to pass without a second look. I've carried far bigger and "scarier looking" flashlights onto airplanes. In fact, on my last flight I think I carried 2x17670s, 8x16340s, two Li-ion chargers and 5 flashlights.

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
You must not fly much. Atlanta won't be a place you would have anything confiscated. That's a layover. If something will be taken it'll be taken when you first pass security. That's in Brasil and the return is NYC.

Also. I've flown with lights tons of times. Never a second glance.

arek98

Enlightened
You must not fly much. Atlanta won't be a place you would have anything confiscated. That's a layover. If something will be taken it'll be taken when you first pass security. That's in Brasil and the return is NYC.

Hmm, I guess it is you who is not flying much.

For at least couple of past years, if you coming from abroad, you luggage is checked at point of entry to USA. You also must pick your checked in luggage and check it in again before going to connection flight.

That being said I believe (not 100% sure as you asked but you will never be 100% sure I think) you will not have any problems with that. I traveled back to USA on many occasions with light or multiple lights. Usually Surefire LX2 in my pocket that I had to put on tray for security scan, coming from vacations may be more, additional JetBeam BA10 in backpack (also thru security), 1-2 diving lights also in backpack. The only problem I had once was with one diving light when leaving Mexico. Never any trouble entering USA. Surefire E1L looks pretty much like LX2 and is shorter. Nobody ever questioned my LX2. Of course you may always meat this guy that hates E1L and you will have some troubles but I really don't think they have any grounds to confiscate light.

Bigpal

Enlightened
You shouldn't have a problem. TSA has a "Can I bring my _____ through the security checkpoint"? tool.

"Flashlights" results:

You may transport this item in carry-on baggage or in checked baggage.
For items you wish to carry-on, you should check with the airline to ensure that the item
will fit in the overhead bin or underneath the seat of the airplane.

Please be sure to wrap cords tightly around electronics items and pack your bag in neat layers
(layer of clothes, layer of electronics, layer of clothes, layer of shoes, etc.) to help officers get a clear look at your bag.

"Flashlight" results:

Tools longer than 7 inches (measured from end to end when assembled)
are prohibited in carry-on baggage; these items must be packed in your checked baggage.
Sharp objects placed in checked baggage should be properly sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and Transportation Security Officers.