Is the JetBeam RRT01 beam really that bad?

ridnovir

Newly Enlightened
I like the Jeatbeam RRT-01 but a lot here complain of ringy beam because of the smooth reflector.
Can somebody who owes the light post a beam pattern picture.
Is the rrt-01's beam really that bad in real life use?

fishndad

Enlightened
I like the Jeatbeam RRT-01 but a lot here complain of ringy beam because of the smooth reflector.
Can somebody who owes the light post a beam pattern picture.
Is the rrt-01's beam really that bad in real life use?

No i cant post a beam shot.
However its my faborite EDC and i dont have a problem with the rings becouse i dont sit in my house and stare at the beam patterns of my lights.
This will **** some guys off but to me those guys need to get a life anyway.
I have seen lights with horible rings i mean those cheap aspheric $15. lights.
The RRT01 is not one of those lights.
And while im at it, i would love to take up the debate over ringy beam patterns with some of the guys who go ON and ON and ON about the rings on the RRT and ask what do you actually buy a light for.
My RRT01 is a WORK light for searching cielings and finding cable pathways and it is AWESOME.
Unfortunately however there is talk that Jetbeam may soon be no longer and waranty no good.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
The rings are more like a corona or... perhaps a lens flare type look rather than ill designed reflector artifacts. This is my humble opinion.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a JetBeam RRT01 and have not noticed rings. I almost never go white wall hunting... My lights are used for work, camping, and hunting. I have had budget lights with bad rings. Some of the very early LED lights had horrible rings. That having being said, if the rings bother you now is the time to look for another light.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Niteye Eye10 and a Jetbeam RRT-01. These lights are almost identical.

Yes the beam in the RRT-01 is quite noticeable. It's a large contrast to the orange peel reflector in the Eye10 which gives a perfect beam pattern and is slightly brighter due to using a U2 v. T6.

On the other hand, the RRT-01 is much better than the Eye10 in casing design. The RRT-01 has better knurling and is much gripper. And with only 2 detentes the RRT-01 gives true infinite variability. In contrast, the Eye10 has loud clicky detentes throughout the ring travel and feels more like a light with 11 preset settings. The detentes make the Eye10's ring very noisy to operate, and it's much harder to turn due to only being knurled on one side.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
No i cant post a beam shot.
However its my faborite EDC and i dont have a problem with the rings becouse i dont sit in my house and stare at the beam patterns of my lights.
This will **** some guys off but to me those guys need to get a life anyway.
I have seen lights with horible rings i mean those cheap aspheric $15. lights.
The RRT01 is not one of those lights.
And while im at it, i would love to take up the debate over ringy beam patterns with some of the guys who go ON and ON and ON about the rings on the RRT and ask what do you actually buy a light for.
My RRT01 is a WORK light for searching cielings and finding cable pathways and it is AWESOME.
Unfortunately however there is talk that Jetbeam may soon be no longer and waranty no good.

I have heard the same thing about Jetbeam closing down from my light dealers lately.

I think it is very dodgy at the moment to buy Jetbeam because we don't know if the warranties will be honoured even if it is taken over by another company.

The Jetbeam M1X was quite a thrower in it's time and I bet Jetbeam sold millions of them as no other light matched that throw using only a reasonably small lumens output but great optics.

I nearly bought an M1X years ago but I bought the Olight SR50 with 2 x 18650 battery holder and also the SR51, M30, M3X and the SR90.

I am lucky in that I do not own a single Jetbeam, I mainly buy Olight, Sunwayman and Klarus lights or even better Varapower lights that outdo the big guns with the modded LEDs and other heatsinking methods.

I am not a wall beam watcher because outside you don't really notice any imperfections like rings or artifacts in the dark of night especially in the bush.

You just want plenty of light to suit the current need at that time.

My TK70 is the best out of all the big guns for heavy construction and four levels of brightness plus hidden SOS and Strobe modes running on 4 x D size Imedion NIMH LSD 9500mah batteries.

Imedion NIMh batteries let my TK70 run at full Turbo (2200 ANSI lumens) for 1hr and 20mins before it steps down to high and then the lower levels as the batteries are being depleted.

What a terrific output and beam spread and hotspot that TK70 has even though it could be more streamlined, maybe in the TK70 V2 if there ever is one.

My current Varapower using a de-domed SST90 puts out 200k CD and is very reliable with light level adjustment via the switch having a combined on/off button and twist turning knob.

I am sure it will beat or at least keep up with the latest Olight SR95UT throwing flashlight.

I got off topic just then.

Sorry about that.

Cheers

IMSabbel

Enlightened
Well, the beam is not unusable.

But from all the lights I own, it has the honor of having the ringiest beam.
It could be that this is not true for all lights - but if i looks at the reflector of mine at an angle I could actually see that there are sinuos deformations, i.e. it was not a perfect parabola. As if it got too hot at some point in the production procress, or something.

fyrstormer

Banned
Here is a comparison beamshot I made a while ago. The beam on the left is from the stock reflector, and the beam on the right is from a retrofitted Arc6 reflector.

CIMG5197.jpg

Last edited:

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
JetBeam ever "Honored" their warranty? That's news to me. My experience with JetBeam was any problems got corrected in the manual. They would change the manual to indicate the design flaw was normal. Then quietly fix it in succeeding versions so it worked the way the original manual indicated it should. An un-ethical company in my opinion. I also found some really poor design when I had to go digging inside to fix things. They were cutting edge in looks at that time, but that was all.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have owned several Jetbeams, and I prefer the smooth reflector. The rings are there, but it is not an issue for me. As far as warranties go I have never had any issues with my Jetbeams, and I don't care if a company offers a 10 year warranty. To me if a product is good, then you don't have to worry, but if a product keeps breaking even with a 10 year warranty it does me no good to own it.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL.

Bad Jetbeam customer service, is an understatement.

I also agree that I'm really sold to some of their designs, they do look awesome. IMO, minus the B & P series however.

JetBeam ever "Honored" their warranty? That's news to me. My experience with JetBeam was any problems got corrected in the manual. They would change the manual to indicate the design flaw was normal. Then quietly fix it in succeeding versions so it worked the way the original manual indicated it should. An un-ethical company in my opinion. I also found some really poor design when I had to go digging inside to fix things. They were cutting edge in looks at that time, but that was all.