Body Diameter: Fenix LD12 vs. Fenix PD22

appliancejunk

Enlightened
A couple days ago I received my first Fenix flashlight, the LD12 S2 and I love it.
It's the perfect size in my hand. Love the length and diameter of the LD12 along with everything else the flashlight offers.

Here are the specs I see on these two flashlights.

Fenix LD12
measures 4.2" long x 0.85" head diameter

Fenix PD22
measures 3.5" long x 0.85" head diameter

I see the heads are the same diameter and from looking at photos it look like the bodies of these two flashlights would also be the same diameter.

Guess this maybe a questions for those who own both the Fenix LD12 and PD22.

How can the bodies of these two flashlights be the same diameter when the LD12 uses 1xAA battery and the PD22 uses 1xCR123 battery?

Is the body wall on the Fenix PD22 thinner then it is on the Fenix LD12 or just how does this work?

I have been looking over the photos and holding up a CR123 cell next to my Fenix LD12 trying to figure out how they could have the same diameter bodies.

Would be great if someone could post some photos of the LD12 and PD22 bodies next to each other with the batteries in the body and the heads off so I could see the difference.

Thanks,

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple days ago I received my first Fenix flashlight, the LD12 S2 and I love it.
It's the perfect size in my hand. Love the length and diameter of the LD12 along with everything else the flashlight offers.

Here are the specs I see on these two flashlights.

Fenix LD12
measures 4.2" long x 0.85" head diameter

Fenix PD22
measures 3.5" long x 0.85" head diameter

I see the heads are the same diameter and from looking at photos it look like the bodies of these two flashlights would also be the same diameter.

Guess this maybe a questions for those who own both the Fenix LD12 and PD22.

How can the bodies of these two flashlights be the same diameter when the LD12 uses 1xAA battery and the PD22 uses 1xCR123 battery?

Is the body wall on the Fenix PD22 thinner then it is on the Fenix LD12 or just how does this work?

I have been looking over the photos and holding up a CR123 cell next to my Fenix LD12 trying to figure out how they could have the same diameter bodies.

Would be great if someone could post some photos of the LD12 and PD22 bodies next to each other with the batteries in the body and the heads off so I could see the difference.

Thanks,

Sorry no input on those in particular, but it is irritating when manufacturers make aa & cr123a the same diameter, especially when in the same series. .85" is thin for a cr123a though.

appliancejunk

Enlightened
but it is irritating when manufacturers make aa & cr123a the same diameter, especially when in the same series. .85" is thin for a cr123a though.

I agree that .85 diameter seems small for a CR123.

I have owned some other 1xCR123 flashlights in the past and always thought they felt short and fat in my hand, lol...

I keep holding my Fenix LD12 in my hand thinking the 1xCR123 version is the same diameter and .7 inches shorter, perfect!

But I'm not sure if the body is the same diameter with paper thin walls or what.

Edited to add: Found this video that shows them both.
I'm thinking the body wall on the PD22 is thinner then the LD12, but not to thin. Maybe I should look at it as the body wall on the LD12 body is really thick and the body wall on the PD22 is normal thickness, lol...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp2NR5kOGCk

Last edited: