Fall in love with your Crelant 7G5 V2 again.

Tiresius

Enlightened
So I got tired today and decided that I'm getting fed up with the cold white colors in some of my XML lights. Today, I was thinking about modding my Eagletac D25LC2 but had second thoughts. I want to ditch the U2 bin on my Crelant 7G5 V2 first so here we go...

The mod is fairly simple and does require that you be very delicate with the alignment housing and the emitter itself. On a scale of difficulty from 1 (newly started on flashlight with no knowledge) to 10 (very knowledgeable with circuit and electrical engineering), I'd give it a 4. Primarily because you need some soldering skills and patience. If done with haste, the plastic housing will crack and it won't align properly or look nice. Enough said, here's some photos

Here, we start with the light engine of the flashlight. Gentle must be applied when removing the plastic housing. It comes of with some resistant.

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww77/zeron18/IMAG0355_zpsca21ecc3.jpg

Here's a side view of the whole unit.

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww77/zeron18/IMAG0356_zpsbd1df139.jpg

After some soldering to remove the old one, I had to solder the newer one. It's a T4 XML (3,000K) temperature.

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww77/zeron18/IMAG0357_zps173d9622.jpg

Now a mod is nothing without beamshots. Here it is compared to my Eagletac D25LC2 NW on a whitewall shot. Noticed how much warmer it is? That's the actual color I see.
http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww77/zeron18/IMAG0361_zps50546556.jpg

Your images are too large and have been replaced with links Please resize and repost.
See Rule #3 If you post an image in your post, please downsize the image to no larger than 800 x 800 pixels. - Thanks Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

chenko

Enlightened
Hey, nice! We don't get to see many real warm-tinted powerful lights, it's nice for a change to see one :) Good job!

Tiresius

Enlightened
Hey, nice! We don't get to see many real warm-tinted powerful lights, it's nice for a change to see one :) Good job!

It's true. I hardly see anything other than cool white for lights pushing at 2.8a or above. It's primarily because of efficiency. But I love my warm thrower :D

Tiresius

Enlightened
NOTE: Due to the change in color temperature, the lumens and throw has dropped significantly (by eye sight). I do not have any measuring equipment but can tell that they have dropped just by looking. However, it does pay off to have a warm tint that is welcoming to the eye. People will think it's an incan but it really is a LED behind it.

The collimator head is no different. The throw intensity has dropped.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is Warm also similar to Neutral? Coz I know Crelant also sells the Neutral version of their Cool White 7G5 V2. I was able to acquire the driver portion of the flashlight with the Neutral tint so I swap it out with the cool white when i dont need the extra throw.

This is an option for those who are not so keen on taking their lights apart.

Tiresius

Enlightened
Is Warm also similar to Neutral? Coz I know Crelant also sells the Neutral version of their Cool White 7G5 V2. I was able to acquire the driver portion of the flashlight with the Neutral tint so I swap it out with the cool white when i dont need the extra throw.

This is an option for those who are not so keen on taking their lights apart.

I was reluctant in the mod but after I saw that I can easily align the led, I went ahead and change the tints. Also, I've been working on custom lights lately and figured this was an easy task compared to what I've been doing.

The photo of the white wall shot is exactly the color differences you see between the colors. Neutral white has a very whitish color with a small hint of yellow. The warm I got is yellow but not entirely ****-yellow because of the higher amperage. It is a lot different compared to neutral in terms of color. Just don't expect better performances with warm white.

Just for fun, here's the light under the collimator accessory:
IMAG0364_zpsc6f77dab.jpg

Next step: A custom light engine with an XRC emitter at 1.4a for this body. I'll have to start from scratch and build my way up with the screw-in.

Last edited: