Mini Maglite 2AAA LED penlight

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I added a new Mini Maglite 2AAA LED penlight to my penlight connection recently. It is a new model and I didn't know it existed until I saw one in a sporting goods store.

It's not a bad light for about $18 and is possibly my thinnest penlight. It is rated for 84 lumens and out throws my other 2AAA lights when the focus is adjusted for a tight hotspot.

The furnished pocket clip is the same one used on the Solitaire and it slides along the somewhat slippery battery tube. Perhaps the black colored Mini Maglite 2AAA LED light is grippier, but this was the last Mini Mag in the store.

The tint is fairly white, though the hot spot looks yellow when focused against a white wall indoors. "Candle stand" operation is possible, as with other Mini Maglites, by removing the head and standing the remainder of the flashlight inside the head.

The Pelican 1920 remains my favorite penlight, though it is thicker and heavier.

Photo of 2AAA lights below shows (left to right): Inova Bolt, Mini Maglite 2AAA LED, Streamlight Stylus Pro C4, Pelican 1920, and Icon Solo

penlights6.jpg

El Camino

Newly Enlightened
I ordered one this afternoon from Amazon. It was a PITA to find. Maglite just released this along with the LED Solitaire (finally!) so I guess stores - both online an B&M - haven't gotten them in yet.

One thing I like about the AAA Mini is that it fits in my tool bag in one of the pen slots. Imagine that. My old one incan version just doesn't cut it anymore, so I'm looking forward to the LED version. I do wish Mag would offer a tail cap switch for their Minis and Solitaire models. There's obviously a market for them.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
... I do wish Mag would offer a tail cap switch for their Minis and Solitaire models. There's obviously a market for them.

Two brightness levels, as found in the larger brother 2AA Mini Maglite LED would be useful on the 2AAA and 1AAA Solitaire models, as well.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
is there any chance of you posting a picture of the emitter and or the light without its bezel?

I use a flatbed scanner, not a camera, and I cannot capture the image of the LED. The LED emitter in the new 2AAA Mini Maglite looks different than those used in my C4 Streamlight Stylus Pro and Pelican 1920 penlights.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a flatbed scanner, not a camera, and I cannot capture the image of the LED. The LED emitter in the new 2AAA Mini Maglite looks different than those used in my C4 Streamlight Stylus Pro and Pelican 1920 penlights.

Can you remove the bezel and scan the 'candle mode' LED end of the light? Thank you kindly,

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first flatbed scanner image is that of the LED used in the new Mini Maglite 2AAA. Though it was lubricated at the factory, I added Nyogel grease to the threads and O-ring.

The second image is a comparision of the new Mini Maglite 2AAA penlight to the 2AA Mini Maglite LED flashlight. The size difference is striking.

mini-maglite-2AAA-led.jpg

mini-maglites-led-2AAvs2AAA.jpg

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
The description of the Mini Maglite 2AAA LED on Brightguy's web page claims:

"Maglite recommends using only alkaline batteries in the Maglite LED flashlight. The use of lithium, NiMH, NiCad, etc is not recommended."

There are no restrictions against NiMH or Energizer Lithium primaries mentioned the instructions furnished with my light.

BTW, Maglite warrants this light to the original purchaser for only 10 years from date of retail purchase -- no lifetime warranty.

El Camino

Newly Enlightened
Mine arrived today. It's great! It's nearly as bright (to my eyes) as the Terralux 140 lumen Mag AA drop-in. It looks and feels just like the incandescent one, but it's way brighter. I can see easily across my yard, and into the neighbor's yard, and easily lights of tree tops. The light will focus with about a half turn of the head; which turns very easily and can be done with one hand. The spot is nice, with a smooth bit of spill. The color is slightly peachy, but pleasant. No noticeable rings when focused.

It doesn't have a low mode (or any strobe modes etc), but when it first turns on, the flood diffuses the light enough that it can be used close range. Like the classic AAA Mini, I can hold it cigarette-style or with my mouth if I need both hands to work. This came in handy when I needed to reconnect some wires on my stereo/theater system. As stated before it easily fits into one of the pen pouches in my tool bag, and doesn't snag. It came with the pocket clip, but no pouch, though I don't need one anyway. It's a good little work light, and its bright enough to easily see while walking at night.

Cons: Same as the incan AAA Mini - no tail-cap switch, and the head is a little loose/wobbly when focused, but these are not really a big deal, considering the light is $15-$18. There is a bit of dust on the inside of the lens, and on the reflector, but I should be able to remove that with some compressed air or or one of those sqeeze-blow-brush things used to clean electronics.

BTW, It does fit in the AA incan Mini's pouch, but it is small enough that it can fit bezel-down as well, which is cool, though bezel-up would make more sense as your hand is in the natural operation position for this light.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine arrived today. It's great! It's nearly as bright (to my eyes) as the Terralux 140 lumen Mag AA drop-in. .....

Glad you like the Mini Maglite 2AAA LED penlight, El Camino. Thanks for the comments.

It is so slender and bright. My penlight is powered by Energizer Ultimate Lithium primary batteries so it is light weight. I am carrying and using it daily despite having several other penlights.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does this light have the same regulation as other modern maglites. Where you have full brightness for 10 minutes then it drops to 25 percent brightness?

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does this light have the same regulation as other modern maglites. Where you have full brightness for 10 minutes then it drops to 25 percent brightness?

I would like to know, too. My light is still on its first set of Energizer Ultimate Lithium AAA (primary) batteries.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's the runtime graph for it (NiMH test is still in progress, I'll update the graph when it's complete):

MM2AAA_Runtime.png

I would estimate that output is almost 100 lumens, which would explain the shorter runtime. I'm going to check with Maglite and see what they say.

Slazmo

Enlightened
I had the old incan 2AAA Maglite and some douché stole it along with everything else in my car while I was at Uni (good old brick through the window trick)... God how do I miss that little torch!

God how I now want a AAA Led Maglite now - but just purchased a Nite Ize X1DM-GT - yes this was a compulsion buy!

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's the runtime graph for it (NiMH test is still in progress, I'll update the graph when it's complete): ....

I would estimate that output is almost 100 lumens, which would explain the shorter runtime. I'm going to check with Maglite and see what they say.

Thanks! :goodjob: