Feniz TK41 vs TK60

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm trying to figure out which of these lights I should get. I know that, with the exception of the batteries, the two lights are fairly similar. However, the TK41 is somewhat brighter than the TK60. But, on the other hand, I like that the TK60 has a long runtime due to the fact that it uses D batteries. Specifically, I should probably get about twice the runtime using four Tenergy Centura D cells in a TK60 vs eight Duraloops in a TK41. But is 860 lumens going to be ALOT brighter than 800 lumens? Is this difference (and maybe the fact that it is smaller and lighter) worth sacrificing runtime to get?

Last edited:

Samy

Enlightened
Fenix seems a bit reluctant to give specific runtimes on modes for the TK60. However the TK41 (which i have) has a max runtime listed as 240 hrs (10 days). The TK60's only listed runtime is 15 days which is 50% more than the TK41's max runtime. Obviously this is only for the lowest output however all is not equal here as the TK60 has 6 brightness levels vs the TK41's 4 brightness levels. The TK41 only goes down the 15 lumens and i would hazard a guess that the TK60's lowest mode is lower than the TK41's lowest mode thus negating the fact that it gets an 5 extra days runtime. It's possible that the TK60 gets worse runtimes than the TK41 on the same/similar outputs.

I get phenomenal runtime from my TK41 and although it gets used for a few mins everynight on max output, i get 2-3 months between having to swap out my eneloops. However i am considering getting a TK60 for my dad for christmas as i get the feeling that he likes the oldschool big maglight type of light that runs big D cells.

cheers

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
But is 860 lumens going to be ALOT brighter than 800 lumens?

No: not a lot brighter at all. In fact, nearly impossible for a human eye to notice, in any practical use.

Furthermore, those figures are averages for each product-line, because the emitters and circuits in one TK41 will differ from those in another, and the variation will certainly amount to tens of lumens in either direction.

So it is very likely that some percentage of the TK60s coming off the production line will be brighter than some percentage of the TK41s (though of course the *average* TK41 will be brighter than the *average* TK60).

So the difference in brightness here should play *no* role in your decision, whatsoever. There just *is* no significant difference here.

There are lots of other factors to base your choice on: battery size, number of modes, ergonomics, looks, anything. Beam profile, for instance--I seem to recall that the TK41 is a very throwy beam, and maybe you want that, or maybe not.

There are lots of important things to consider in this choice, but not the lumens.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, as far as runtime, it looks like the TK41 gives 2 hours and 19 minutes on turbo, while the TK60 gives 4 hours and 16 minutes on turbo. That's quite a bit of difference. I guess the thing that gets to me about the TK41 is that it only lasts as long on turbo as my 6D ROP light. But, of course, it's quite a bit smaller.

Steel head

Newly Enlightened
I had the same dilemma two weeks ago.
I wanted a modern version of my 4D mag so size was only a minor consideration.
The battery carrier was not something I wanted-KISS.
Runtime and a few brightness levels were a big factor for me.
I picked the TK60 and am very happy with it, great runtime(even on alkalines) and a good beam.
From what I read here the 860 to 800 lumens was a non issue.

CyberCT

Enlightened
I have the TK41 and love it, but after going with some good D rechargeables because of the TK70, I kind of wish I bought the TK60 now instead of the TK41. It's just a tad longer with better runtime and more simplicity (no battery carrier, just load the D batteries).

When the XML2 comes out, and Fenix updates their line, I'm going with a revamped TK60 instead (or whatever D variant they come out with).

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
Just to throw this out there for consideration, one of the advantages of the TK60 is the ability to slap in a 5 1/2 D Cell battery pack from a MagCharger. This allows you to get a lot of the benefits of running a 4 D Cell set up with the size and weight of the 3 D Cell package. You can buy the NiMH battery sticks for the MagCharger with a charger from batteryjunction. If I remember correctly, one battery and charger costs 50$ out the door and you can awlays buy a second battery later for hot swaps. Also, don't quote me on this, but I believe I read some reports a while back that the 6v NiMH battery stick made the TK60 ever so slightly brighter.

Just putting that little tid bit out there as food for thought.