Will I see the difference with ZL H502?

jbrett14

Enlightened
I have been using the ZebraLight H501 for a year or two now, and LOVE IT!, with the only exception being the indents it puts in my forehead. :)

However, like any crazy flashaholic, I continue to be wondering, would I like the H502 even more?

For those who have used both, can you offer some input regarding how much better the H502 is over the H501, if at all. Is the difference good enough, in your opinion, to upgrade?

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
It depends on your usage and preferences.

I have both, and my H502s have replaced the H501s for pretty well all of my current usages, the main reason being the different illumination levels that the H502 has. It is brighter on max, and I can get the level of illumination I prefer (I mostly use M1 for close work, with the H501 I often had to use Hi because Medium wasn't quite enough light). The low levels of the H502 are also good for night time wandering around the house without disturbing others).

If you are into high CRI the H502d or H502c may also provide further excuse/justification/rationalisation to upgrade.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like Greg, I find the new-and-improved mid levels on the H502 the most compelling reason to upgrade. Also I purchased the H502c for high CRI, which is nice, but the better quality of light is a subtle improvement over the H501w, IMO.

However, if you have an H501w, you already have (in my estimation) about 85 percent of the functionality of the new H502. AND, with the H501w, you have a somewhat narrower 80 degree beam, which a lot of people like better than the wider 120 beam on the H502.

I would "buy to have a spare" rather than "buy to replace."

Last edited:

jbrett14

Enlightened
Thanks guys.

My current version is just the standard H501. I have not had any complaints about the color or type of light that it puts out, but then again, I have never had a "W" or "C" version of any light to compare it to.

I know there have been many comments about how the standard versions do not allow the user to see things in their natural color, when doing electrical work for example, but this has never seemed to be a problem for me, as red looks red, white looks white, and so on. But again, I have never had any of the other versions so maybe I am missing out on something that I am unaware of.

Regarding the beam angle: So is my version 80 degrees, or is that only for the "W" version?

Nearly 100% of the time I use my light, for work, it is in High mode, and therefore I was thinking that maybe I could get away with a lower mode with the H502 and perhaps get more run time.

jbrett14

Enlightened
By the way, Bolster, you were instrumental in getting me hooked on a "floody" headlamp in the first place. And for that, I owe you a big THANK YOU!

Prior to my H501, I had been using lights like Princeton Tec, Petzl, and mostly my Streamlight (Argo?) which was certainly more throw than flood. I had kept my handheld flashlight mindset while buying all those headlights and therefore I was missing out on what I really NEEDED - a pure flood of light for close up work. So, I bought that H501, much in part to your posts, and never looked back. WHAT A DIFFERENCE.

I thank you for all the posts that you have taken the time to write. VERY helpful.

jbrett14

Enlightened
As for the dents in your forehead, this almost caused me to sell mine and never try ZL again. But you have to check this out, it works great:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-bouncy-quot&p=3954252&viewfull=1#post3954252

Problem solved!

I just did this and it sure seems to be the problem-solver. Thanks a bunch for the link. I will put it to actual use my next day at work. I'm just not that creative when it comes to stuff like this.

Not that this pertains to me and my H501 light, but the one thing that didn't make sense to me is how looping it further through the rubber piece again would be of any help for a heavier light, since it adjustable in length anyway. For a heavier light, why not just adjust the strap smaller for a tighter grip around the forehead?

jbrett14

Enlightened
I decided I am going to make the purchase tonight for the H502. However, I would like to know if there have been any updates to the light since they first came out, and if so, what are those updates that I should expect in my new light.

I would hate to think that I got a first-run model that had issues. Were there issues with any of the first ones shipped?

Last edited:

Pretbek

Newly Enlightened
I decided I am going to make the purchase tonight for the H502. However, I would like to know if there have been any updates to the light since they first came out, and if so, what are those updates that I should expect in my new light.

I would hate to think that I got a first-run model that had issues. Were there issues with any of the first ones shipped?

As far as I know there have been no updates to the H502 since it came out.