Gifts for the wife

markr6

Flashaholic
Only married for 6 months now and I'm already out of gift ideas!Unfortunatley she's not into any of my hobbies (backpacking, kayaking, cycling) so that makes it tough. She'll kill me if I get another flashlight...well, actually I just ordered a Nitecore EA4...oops!So besides flashlights, what kinds of things do you guys give as gifts? She doesn't really have any specific hobbies. I'm stumped.

Quest4fire

Enlightened
Man, I've been married over 25 years and I'm still haven't figured that one out. Talk to one of her girlfriends and have her casually bring up the subject to your wife. I have transcended such subtleties (I've given up on figuring it out on my own) and simply ask my wife what she wants. I wish she would do the same but she insists on trying, year after year, to figure out guy gifts with a girl brain. Just doesn't work. I still have hope though. Last couple of years she has begun to ask our son for advice on what to get. That's progress!

Lucciola

Enlightened
Two presents which my wife liked most in the recent years:

1.) A polartec fleece jacket with a nice feminine cut and good looking enough to wear it everyday. Nice warm and cosy in winter.

2.) An evening out in the opera, dressed to the nines followed by a dinner in a small Italian restaurant. The tickets were the cheapest category but the evening was still great.

For my sister I plan to make an audible book read by me. All you need is a good book, a PC, a microphone and plenty of time. The latter is the biggest problem. I think my sister will rather get it for her birthday.

Dadof6

Enlightened
Jewelry. Buy it at a reputable place where it can be exchanged for what she really wants.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
She probably does have interests, but has suppressed/obfuscated them.

Does she read magazines or watch shows on any particular topic?

Did she ever mention that she always wanted to.....?

and so forth.

baexmeyer

Newly Enlightened
Only married for 6 months now and I'm already out of gift ideas!Unfortunatley she's not into any of my hobbies (backpacking, kayaking, cycling) so that makes it tough. She'll kill me if I get another flashlight...well, actually I just ordered a Nitecore EA4...oops!So besides flashlights, what kinds of things do you guys give as gifts? She doesn't really have any specific hobbies. I'm stumped.

If she has friends around, My wife enjoyed a day trip to the Spa to get pampered. It always helps for them to go with friends, so they can do the girl thing.

markr6

Flashaholic
All good info, thanks! I really liked the fleece jacket idea. I actually got her one last year for her birthday since all the stuff she had was very girly and not something you would want to wear doing outdoor activities. Maybe a nice rain jacket this year to go with it.

And that nasty green XP-G S2 on the new LD12 I just got...I'm swapping the head with a second LD22, so I can gift that to her LOL

Norm

Retired Administrator
How about a Pink Malkoff MD2

8226072432_8798cf7594_m.jpg

Norm

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Ah, the eternal dilemma. Take Quest4fire's advice and just ask her. Maybe have her make a list of possibilities. It's worked for me pretty well. Still married after forty years.

Geoff

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Here's the secret: Go to your local spa and ask for a gift certificate for a one hour massage. They already have a dozen guys coming in a week who also have absolutely no idea what the spa offers, so you won't look dumb, and you don't have to know anything going in. It'll be roughly $50, and the certificate usually comes in a nice envelope or box, so there's no wrapping involved. In and out in a few minutes for a gift she'll remember all year, it doesn't get any more bang-for-the-buck than that..

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh my your asking flashlight guys for gift suggestions?

The best I can offer :)

Norm

Sure why not Mr. Norm?

I'll give it a shot! Mr. Mark, I think a nice dinner at a romantic restaurant, may be one with a table next to a fire place would be a great idea.

Deliver a dozen white roses before hand, so it'll be on the table when you arrive! Trust me on this one, women will notice that there is only one table with roses on it. They absolutely melt when they find out that table is theirs!

Don't forget to grease the maitre'd when you make the reservations and for his trouble setting up the table as well! Depending on the restaurant, a Fifty Spot should be good, if a high demand restaurant may be a "C" note just to be safe!

Sometime during dinner, take out your gift which could be either ....

... a box containing a Rolex Ladies Datejust in SS or White Gold. A datejust with applied roman numerals on the dial is a nice touch imo! Oh and I always was partial to Rolex's jubilee bracelet!

or,

... a Solitaire diamond necklace.

IMHO, Would be romantic gift to end an extremely romantic, memorable dinner!

Like Pops' friend Mr. C.G. mentioned this should get you a whole lot of ... :kiss: ... ALLLLLL NIIIIIGHT LOOOOOOOOONG, ... and I'll bet one of Pops' "C" note's, you won't have any problems with future flashligh purchases! .... :naughty:

One of ur CPF friends,

ff079779.jpg

Calvin ...
4591600f.jpg

PS Mr. Mark, just a heads up! …. If I was you, I wouldn't ask Pops for his advise! Because his definition of a romantic dinning experience is fur you take your Mrs. out for a Filet-O-Fish/Big Mac "Surf n' Tuff", a large order of fries, a large Coke, and a Parfait for desert.

The last time a gurl asked Pops fur a ring. He looked in his tool box, took out (I think it was) a copper washer, gave it to her, then ask if it fit?

That one landed Pops in the hospital fur a week that time! ... :crackup:

Last edited:

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL, time to develop and learn more about your life partner. ;) I'm sure you can find areas which make her smile and work from those.

My thoughts:

Jewelry though a marketing dream for those types of stores is not a thoughtful gift. A lady we know at 45 years of marriage had been given jewelry by her husband for each occasion, she literally wore a ring on each finger or two, 2-4 necklaces and 2-4 bracelets on each wrist. When she walked, you can hear all of it clanging-chiming together. In my situation, I paid $ for her wedding rings and I'm not going add distractions by cluttering them up with cheaper stuff. I gave her a German mechanical watch from a smaller producer and I feel same that I don't want to distract from a nice mechanical watch. She doesn't care much for necklaces. The earrings she wears daily I gave her while on our honeymoon. She has some pearl earrings from a family member and about the only other earring she could use to round it out would be diamond. We aren't formal types so that level of attire gift is not practical and would be there for the sake of having. If it cannot be used, why buy it? Some do wear diamond earrings with very casual attire but that's not her style so she has said don't buy them.

A practical gift is a nice purse and/or wallet. Buy her a nice one so that she will not be on the fashion trend hunt each season and she'll carry them proudly. Just a warning, nice leather bags and wallets can easily be $1K+. LV is so played out but I'll admit that the nice ones are well made. I am not impressed when I see LV because that logo is being carried in such numbers, it is mind numbing whether genuine of fake. There are gals who do have a genuine LV as their extravagant show-off item, if the general attire doesn't match, many will say, "it's probably fake." That is a terrible association and I hear it with frequency so best to find a different brand than LV. All of the nice bags can be faked but there are nice deals on modest ones that will suit her and not have such a negative connotation with them. There are plenty of smaller designer name bags-wallets from France, Italy and other Euro countries to hunt down. You can have one made stateside as well.

We've simplified, these days, we buy a bottle of wine or champagne, have a nice meal and this avoids the accumulating clutter of gifts. Small memorable trips if even for the day work well and for big events an appropriate vacation. If I bought her one, it isn't likely I'll buy her another of the same type of gift. Some exclusions but I generally stay away from duplicates.

Bottom line buy an item that is useful and the enjoyment comes with it. If the potential gift is just going to sit, think twice about buying.

Doc Nonverbal

Newly Enlightened
..........married only six months, you had better start thinking about something romantic, if you want this :kiss: instead of this :mecry:

Married 27 years,

~ Chance

Wiser words were never spoken. I've been with my wife 20 years.

My $0.02: Buy a diamond at Bluenile.com. I've had very good luck with their diamonds and had them appraise 20% higher in value locally. If you can't afford a diamond, some other symbolic piece of jewelry. Utilitarian gifts like flashlights are fine for Christmas stocking stuffers, but romantic gifts will definitely score you more brownie points.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I've heard that Diamonds are a girl's best friend. ;)

Okay, how about a nice ladies watch. Perhaps something from Macy's or Bloomingdale's watch departments.