I really want an M6...I think

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone live in south florida and have an M6. I'd really like to see one in action before getting one.

kalengkong

Newly Enlightened
Stingray, how about just wait for The Beast comes out?

its 2000+ lumens
(i saw it at 2002 SF catalog)

i just cancel to buy M6 since i saw this one.

just info for you...
smile.gif

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by kalengkong:
Stingray, how about just wait for The Beast comes out?

its 2000+ lumens
(i saw it at 2002 SF catalog)

i just cancel to buy M6 since i saw this one.

just info for you...
smile.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yea right! IF it comes out it will cost a lot more than the M6.
frown.gif
Oh, it will be a lot brighter but it will not be cheap!
smile.gif

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember reading a post that said you could run the M6 with 3 batteries and a 9 volt lamp. Does that just involve using 3 dummy batteries, or do you have to alter the battery cartridge at all?

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Stingray:
I remember reading a post that said you could run the M6 with 3 batteries and a 9 volt lamp. Does that just involve using 3 dummy batteries, or do you have to alter the battery cartridge at all?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">DON'T use dummy batteries in the M6! It will cause a dead short!

To use the M6 w/ 3 cells just use a voltmeter and test both ends (+ and -) of the battery cartridge. You should read about 9v.

Now, remove 2 cells from one end and one cell from the other end. Keep trying different combinations until the volt meter reads the same output with 3 cells as it did with all 6 (about 9 volts). This process should only take about 30-60 seconds. Once you find the correct arrangement you can mark the positions for future reference.

With 3 cells in place you can use the N2, MN15 or MN16 LA's. I like the N2 the best. It has a nice tight & round hotspot with 1 hour run time.

I used to have pictures of this procedure but I lost them.
frown.gif

Hope this helps.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Listen carefully!

You don't want an M6..........

YOU NEED an M6..... LOL!
grin.gif

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not tried this yet but you should be able to run the M6 with 6 batteries and 9V MN15 and MN16 lamps (or MN10 and MN11 with M3 bezel). These lamps should pump out more light with the M6 than their rated lumens. The MN11 with M3 bezel should definately work. Ken Good from Strategos reported in another thread that the M3 lamp assembly with MN11 worked fine with the M4 body (4 batteries). The M6 does not overdrive the lamps as much as the M4 does.

Cheers.

SurefireM6

Enlightened
Amps and Volts are two different things. There is enough voltage drop with the 4 cells and not enough amps to blow the MN11 (M4 with M3 bezel + MN11).

I've fried an MN16 with the M6 using 6 cells, I turned it off quick enough and it did not blow. It just crinkled and fizzed out. There went $25 just for my curiosity. I figured the Parallel configuration provided too much juice for the MN16 designed for 3 cells. Could have just been a fluke, if anyone wants to risk an MN16 please try this and report back. I'm still curious if it was a fluke, I don't want to risk blowing the bulb and ruining the reflector.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Brock:
Running the N2 on 6 cells will likely blow the lamp in a quick hurry. The M6 with 6 cells under load from the MN20 is 7.2v A very similar output lamp being run from the M3 is the MN11, but it has dropped the 3 cells to 6.5v, but pulls more amperage to compensate. So if you try to push 7.2v through that same lamp, that is 110% (actually a bit more in total wattage) more power or like running a 120v lamp at 132v. Does that make since?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Also, you cannot run a 3 cell LA's in the M4 with 4 cells. You can do it if you use 3 cells and a dummy cell though. In the case you mention it didn't blow the lamp and I am surprised. It will definatley shorten the lamp life to maybe 5-10 hours. Battery type will be a factor too.

I've tried to run an N2 on 4 cells and it blew in 2 seconds!
shocked.gif

SurefireM6

Enlightened
It has the power to give it a significantly whiter light. The M6 is truly amazing, it has the whitest beam produced by a handheld flashlight that I've seen (incandescent). It runs 2 sets of 3 cells providing 9 Volts to provide 250 lumens. (or 500)

The M4 can run a 500lm lamp (N62 I think), 350 and 225. The M6 produces more light and a much whiter light as well.

123a

Newly Enlightened
I would get the M6 and run the lamps that come with it. The light is awesome, and if you only want to run three batteries to save on cash I would opt for an M3. Once you see the 500 lumens you'll be hooked
grin.gif

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
SFM6,

The fear of damaging the reflector is what has kept me from trying the 9V lamps. I did check expected current draw for the M6 vs. the M4 before posting.

The M6 should draw roughly 1.4-A (1.4- means just under 1.4) whereas the M4 should draw 1.6-A with an MN10 (the M3 draws 1.2A). For the MN11 the M3 draws 2.3A, the M6 should draw 2.7+A, and the M4 2.7-A. I used Brock's data to estimate battery and lamp resistances. Of course anything can go wrong with such a simple calculation but it is enough to justify trying out the MN10 and MN11. Of course now that I have your feedback I am less inclined to try the MN15 or MN16.

Then again this entire experiment is low on my list of priorities or desirables. I am much more interested in a regulator for the various 9V lamps.

Cheers.

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really want an M6 now. I wonder if there will be a regulated one coming out this year.

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
So...the M6 is actually a 9 volt light with 2 sets of 3 batteries in parallel. I didn't know that. I thought it was an 18 volt light.

How does the M6 with 6 batteries and the 1 hour 250 lumen lamp compare with the M4 with 4 batteries and the 1 hour 225 lumen lamp. 2 more batteries for only 25 lumens and the same runtime? Why is that?

Size15's

Flashaholic
The M6 produces brighter, whiter light then the M4, and the M6 maintains the intense white light for longer then the M4 can.

These high-powered SureFires shine better for longer on SF123As compared to Ultras in my experience of direct continuous runtime comparisions.

As to what's in the pipe for the M6... I wouldn't like to say.

Al