Olight i3S (1xAAA, XP-G2)

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
i3ss

has anyone tested it on 10440's and how is the tint?

Last edited:

moozooh

Enlightened
Re: *NEW* Olight i3S (1xAAA, XP-G2)

Decent specs, and I like the design. That strobe though, is it really needed on a keychain twisty?

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast

I see it as basically keeping up with the modern emitter, and the light is similar to what it has been.
It's a popular low cost keychain light.

I agree with Moozoh that 80 lumens is out of place on a keychain light, but some people may like it.
For my keychain use, simple and floody is best, so I use an E05 with Energizer lithium primary in it for 5 hrs run time.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast

huh? what happened to the 2.5L mode??? 2.5 is a great USABLE low mode for a lot of tasks. 0.5L is too low to be useful and too bright to be a nightlight. then the next stop is at 20 lumens???

maybe david chow wanted the olights to be a bit differentiated from the quark minis...

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast

huh? what happened to the 2.5L mode??? 2.5 is a great USABLE low mode for a lot of tasks. 0.5L is too low to be useful and too bright to be a nightlight. then the next stop is at 20 lumens???

maybe david chow wanted the olights to be a bit differentiated from the quark minis...

I agree with the 2.5 lumens being more useful, but there are a lot of ultra-low fanatics out there who want lower and lower until it barely even glows.
The "lumens race" seems to go in both directions, the highest AND the lowest!

Last edited:

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast

would this baby take 10440's? I could imagine it could bust over 400 lumens in a tiny package! Talk about a tiny pocket rocket! I still rock my old iTP A3 Upgraded with a 10440! :)

awyeah

Enlightened

I like this too, I have been getting people the iTP A3 EOS Upgraded version as gifts. I kind of wish they had matched those specs, although I doubt the difference between 80 and 96 lumens is noticeable. I'm one of those that likes a nice moonlight mode... :) I'll certainly be picking one of these up the next time I need a little light.

Lithium466

Enlightened

It looks like they designed their light to run with Alcaleak, isn't it ? Pretty decent regulation on high, etc... At least 20 lumens during 8h seem a bit more possible with alcaline than with Eneloop (even the new XX 950mAh, which I look forward to test !) :confused:

Last edited:

Racer

Enlightened

No more PWM? That was the only deal breaker for me with the original I3.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Olight should have used the xp-e2, not xp-g2.

LG&M

Enlightened

I have the first gen i3. It has been a good light. Not sure I want this upgrade. I use the 2.5Lm mode a lot. Nutral tint would be nice.

Jimbo75

Newly Enlightened

I put in an order for one of these but just found out that the mode order is L-H-Moon (20L-80L-0.5L)...! Don't see the point of a Moonlight mode if you have to go through high to use it :thumbsdow; order cancelled.

Everything else seems spot on though and I assume it could be legoed with Preon's body and clicky....oh well the search continues for a useful AAA with moon mode and clicky :shrug:.

netprince

Enlightened

I put in an order for one of these but just found out that the mode order is L-H-Moon (20L-80L-0.5L)...! Don't see the point of a Moonlight mode if you have to go through high to use it :thumbsdow; order cancelled.

Aw man, seriously? That is terrible...

ZRXBILL

Enlightened

Going through 2 higher modes to get to moonlight mode kills the night vision so what's the point of having a moonlight?

hotlavaaaa

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for pointing this out. What possible reason would there be to place the lowest output at the end of the mode sequence. I ordered an S10 on black Friday and cancelled it after all the reports of green tint and now I'm probably going to cancel this order too.

JulianP

Enlightened
I also put in an order, before realizing the M-H-L sequence. I guess I won't be as sad if it blows up with a 10440.if it doesn't blow up, I'll use the old finger-blocking technique to cycle through to the low mode.

Last edited:

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Terrible design: Wrong LED
Bad output choices: Should have been 1-10-100 lumens. Alkalines can't do the 80 lumen mode, so push it even further/harder. That is the Energizer L92 / Eneloops mode. 10 lumens would be nice and flat regulation with a cold AAA alkaline.
The reason that Moon mode doesn't come first, is that it may turn on, and the operator might not see that it is on, and the next time the operator goes to use the light, the battery is dead. Gets mad, curses product/company!

Doesn't 4Sevens have anything to say about Olight's offerings?

Last edited:

hotlavaaaa

Newly Enlightened

The reason that Moon mode doesn't come first, is that is may turn on, and the operator might not see that is on, and the next time the operator goes to use the light, the battery is dead.

This makes sense I guess, but it seems like a precaution that doesn't take into account how the user will actually want the light to operate. Cancelled my order and got a pretty good deal on an original i3 on ebay instead.