VIDEO REVIEW: Surefire EB1 Backup --Tactical--

Snareman

Enlightened
Surefire FINALLY released their new EB1 tactical light. I've been waiting for this for several months and finally got a hold of one. The UI is much improved over the original E1B that it updates. Its not cheap with a street price around $154, but it is quite a nice light. Here's a video review I did of it:

Last edited:

Snareman

Enlightened
Thanks. :) but that light is way to expensive no matter how good it is.

Its often hard to stomach the price of Surefire lights. I won't argue with you there. But it does have the UI that I've been looking for for a long time so I picked it up.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its often hard to stomach the price of Surefire lights. I won't argue with you there. But it does have the UI that I've been looking for for a long time so I picked it up.
That interface has been on several Surefire models in the past, maybe not on a 1 cell light, but the interface is standard Surefire L series. This light is not exactly small so I don't get your excitement for the interface.

I like both the original E1B and the LX2 lights not to mention the C2 and others, but this light is a bit strange for a Surefire and seems like a poor update to the E1B which was so well regarded they quickly increased the price after it was released (those b$$$$$$s).

A good initial review, but could have used a bit more editing and less repetition to reduce the play time.

Snareman

Enlightened
That interface has been on several Surefire models in the past, maybe not on a 1 cell light, but the interface is standard Surefire L series. This light is not exactly small so I don't get your excitement for the interface.

I like both the original E1B and the LX2 lights not to mention the C2 and others, but this light is a bit strange for a Surefire and seems like a poor update to the E1B which was so well regarded they quickly increased the price after it was released (those b$$$$$$s).

A good initial review, but could have used a bit more editing and less repetition to reduce the play time.

Right. I know about the other models and should have mentioned that, but I have been looking for a single cell version.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not planning to buy this light for several reasons, but it does bring a very good amount of throw(11k lux) to the party.
That's excellent for a single CR123 pocket light.

Thanks for the video review.

drew78

Newly Enlightened
I'm not planning to buy this light for several reasons, but it does bring a very good amount of throw(11k lux) to the party.
That's excellent for a single CR123 pocket light.

Thanks for the video review.

TWL- can you comment on your reasons for not perferring this light? I'm on the fence with this light and would like to hear your thoughts. PM is fine if you'd rather take it off line.

Thx- Drew

Snareman

Enlightened
I'd like to hear it in the open if you don't mind. A few detractors after awhile of carrying it - its not a very small light and I never carry it when I'm wearing tightish jeans. The head is kind of large and its not that short. The pocket clip needs to flare out more to fit over thicker fabric, but I'm going to take a pair of pliers to it. Other than that I love the UI and the throw. I'm still happy I have it. Its just not a small Fenix PD20.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
TWL- can you comment on your reasons for not perferring this light? I'm on the fence with this light and would like to hear your thoughts. PM is fine if you'd rather take it off line.

Thx- Drew

I'd like to hear it in the open if you don't mind. A few detractors after awhile of carrying it - its not a very small light and I never carry it when I'm wearing tightish jeans. The head is kind of large and its not that short. The pocket clip needs to flare out more to fit over thicker fabric, but I'm going to take a pair of pliers to it. Other than that I love the UI and the throw. I'm still happy I have it. Its just not a small Fenix PD20.

Hi guys,
These are my personal reasons, and others may not agree.

First, I'm not really a big SureFire fan. I think they have very high prices for what they offer, and being rugged isn't enough to justify it when there are other American manufacturers in lower production numbers who are at least as rugged and probably even more rugged, better performing in many cases, and sell at lower prices.

Second, this light isn't that small. It's about as long as many 2-cell lights, so the compactness of it is not very competitive.

Third, while the main strong point of this light is throw, the output rolls off fairly quickly, and this reduces the throw distance as the output drops. It might not be so noticeable in normal terms of brightness in general viewing to the eye, because much of the drop occurs within the -3db area that is not so easily noticed.
But at the outer limits of the throw distance, the reach of the beam will creep in to shorter and shorter reach as the output slides down.
This is a by-product of the style of regulation that they used, and I know why they used it. Because they correctly realize that most people won't notice a slow-slide down to the -3db output point(50%), and they can save the battery time by doing this, while the beam looks much the same for general viewing.
BUT, unfortunately this same behavior cuts into one of the best aspects that this light has,which is the good throw for the relatively small size package.
I don't have to own this light to know that throw reduces with output, when discussing the same light as it uses up the battery. And the output curve has been shown on several threads to have this characteristic, and it's no secret that the throw will be affected as this light's output slowly slides down after turn-on.
This may not be any big deal to some people, but I'm simply pointing out my observations which affect my purchasing criteria.

I can't comment on the UI, because I don't know what that is like to use.

I think that the light is okay, and I like American made products, and I basically ONLY buy American made flashlights anymore. So, when SureFire makes a light that I feel meets my performance and price criteria, then I'll have no reservations about buying it.

Regarding my criteria, they are fairly stringent, and I would have no hesitation to criticize the lights that I own and are my favorites. There are numerous things in my favorite lights which I think aren't perfect. But the lights that I own have sufficient good points in my view to outweigh their deficiencies and make them worthwhile purchases, in my opinion.

Last edited:

drew78

Newly Enlightened
Thanks twl. I have seen the graphs and agree with you. I didn't realize it was as big as it appears. Anyone have a side by side of an e1b and an eb1?

I carry my e1b every day, not sure if I'd like the size increase for a 1 cell light.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, I'm not really a big SureFire fan. I think they have very high prices for what they offer, and being rugged isn't enough to justify it when there are other American manufacturers in lower production numbers who are at least as rugged and probably even more rugged, better performing in many cases, and sell at lower prices.

But none makes a competitor to the EB1. Surefire makes some low priced lights with reflectors that are as good as other lights in the same categories.

Second, this light isn't that small. It's about as long as many 2-cell lights, so the compactness of it is not very competitive.
The two features that sets it apart from other lights, the TIR and the two stage push tail cap both add to the length. Of course it will be longer than a light with a small reflector and one stage clickie.

Come to think of it, the EB1 is shorter than the L1 Cree, which was considered to be very ergonomically friendly. I have two L1 Crees and thay are significantly bulkier than the EB1.

Third, while the main strong point of this light is throw, the output rolls off fairly quickly, and this reduces the throw distance as the output drops. It might not be so noticeable in normal terms of brightness in general viewing to the eye, because much of the drop occurs within the -3db area that is not so easily noticed.
But at the outer limits of the throw distance, the reach of the beam will creep in to shorter and shorter reach as the output slides down.
This is a by-product of the style of regulation that they used, and I know why they used it. Because they correctly realize that most people won't notice a slow-slide down to the -3db output point(50%), and they can save the battery time by doing this, while the beam looks much the same for general viewing.
BUT, unfortunately this same behavior cuts into one of the best aspects that this light has,which is the good throw for the relatively small size package.
I don't have to own this light to know that throw reduces with output, when discussing the same light as it uses up the battery. And the output curve has been shown on several threads to have this characteristic, and it's no secret that the throw will be affected as this light's output slowly slides down after turn-on.
This may not be any big deal to some people, but I'm simply pointing out my observations which affect my purchasing criteria.

In my actual usage the diminishing output is not as dramatically as some would make it out to be. Those who decry it has "cliff dive" output or "poor regulation" are the same people who haven't used one.

I can't comment on the UI, because I don't know what that is like to use.

I have had 6 Surefires with this type of UI, 3 A2s, 2L1's, and an LX2. It's great. I do however wish McE2S could have lived on.

Regarding my criteria, they are fairly stringent, and I would have no hesitation to criticize the lights that I own and are my favorites. There are numerous things in my favorite lights which I think aren't perfect. But the lights that I own have sufficient good points in my view to outweigh their deficiencies and make them worthwhile purchases, in my opinion.

What is your criteria?

Last edited:

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast

It has, on multiple generations of the L1. The EB1 is smaller than any of them. It is a very good interface, and L series has never been known to be compact yet they are very popular here and has a big following.