The Lumen Wars

LED19

Newly Enlightened
When I think how far handheld flashlights have come from the first Nichia "whites" to my current Thrunite TN30 it is hard to believe the quest for higher lumen numbers can go much further. But I know it will. Is there a practical limit to output based on portability of power supply, heat production, size etc? What will the next beachhead be in the "lumen wars"? I wonder what the technically endowed (as opposed to guys like me who just like and collect lights) think about the LED future?

Thanks, as always.

moozooh

Enlightened
Well, here's a compact flashlight doing 6000 lm on 12 XP-G2s powered by 60 watts. With 12 XM-L2s it can probably do 8000 or so. LED efficiency and battery capacity are important limiting factors, but engineering has a say, too.

TweakMDS

Enlightened
I think a lot of people are now starting to realize that it's not JUST about raw lumen output. The right beam profile for each use, and higher CRI and the right color temperature come into play more and more often.
I think this is a realization that comes when you handle and work with flashlights a lot. Personally, I find myself looking more and more into the 150-200lumen range of high CRI lights, and less at squeezing as much lumens as possible out of a single CR123 (or 18650 for many people).

Still, it's nice to have a few lights with a ridiculous output.

A bit similar to the megapixel race in cameras. Which then became the high ISO race, and now is leaning towards dynamic range race.

maxrep12

Newly Enlightened
The useful advancement in lighting comes from the necessary shift in focus from throwers to more flood oriented lighting. This is where increased lumen capacity truly shines.

When I build a light in my minds eye, it looks like the one Moozooh provided a link to. Using ten or more emitters boosts efficiency while reducing heat. This also provides for the option of mixing in amber leds along with cool white leds for improved color (CRI) reproduction.

Our peripheral vision provides us with balance and motion detection. The majority of or visual information comes from what we observe outside our focal points. With a thrower, we concede a tremendous amount of vision without realizing it.

maxrep12

Newly Enlightened
The other day while watching Drugs Inc, I am treated to true lighting comedy. This Guy with a DEA t-shirt shines his anemic tactical thrower into the cavernous body of a cheaply constructed submarine used for drug trafficking. Just like the movies that feature "paper towel" tube flashlight hot spot, the camera clearly captured this agents attempt to use his laser pointer/thrower light to check for drugs. I wanted to yell at the TV, "Hey dude, the drugs were in the sub, but your stupid light only lit up 3% of the interior of the vessel, and you missed it all".

Ive got an s6330 arriving tomorrow, but I am more interested in the s6330b. In two years time, we will see several top shelf multiple bare emitter lights.

cerbie

Enlightened
What will the next beachhead be in the "lumen wars"?
Stopping that being the most pressing concern, at least from makers of handheld illumination tools? Once we got past 100lmh per cell, I really stopped caring about how bright it could go. Better colors and balanced optics are still hard to find, and practically nobody is using the best LEDs in production lights (limited edition high-CRI runs don't count: they need to be an every day option, leaving mostly HDS and a couple customs/drop-ins makers, notably Malkoff). A higher high is always welcomed, but reflector/lens and color rendition became higher priorities.

Our peripheral vision provides us with balance and motion detection. The majority of or visual information comes from what we observe outside our focal points. With a thrower, we concede a tremendous amount of vision without realizing it.
I really like available TIR lenses for this reason. In a small diameter, you can get decent throw, and plenty of spill, out to 150 degrees or more, at the cost of an ugly white-wall beam. Near-battery-diameter reflectors generally have to be so deep for a good throwy spot that the whole beam is generally 90 degrees or less, which is really annoying, if I actually want to see around my feet while not aiming there.

KarstGhost

Enlightened
Lumen output will keep increasing; it's the over heating that seems to be a big barrier right now. Most of our high lumen monsters on the market currently have to step down to prevent damage.

dusty99

Newly Enlightened
Good points. I'd sacrifice a few lumens for the right beam/hotspot and good color. It makes lights a lot more enjoyable to use, whether they are toys or tools.