Updated Fenix E11 Style

markr6

Flashaholic
I just noticed that REI is using a product image of the new E11 as shown in Fenix's 2013 catalog. I wonder if this is what one would actually recieve if ordered right now? I guess I could ask them. I've been burned in the past getting old stock even though a new image was used.

I'm also a bit surprised they are the only seller I can find showing the new style. I really want to see one of these in person, however I'm not looking forward to being disappointed in Fenix yet again by a tail switch just BARELY too to prevent let it tail standing. I'm not 100% convinced it will not tail stand, but in the photo it sems to look just like the LD12/22/32 etc.

And finally, the specs are mixed up on the REI site listing both 105lumens and 115lumens. I've also noticed several other sites using the specs from the older XP-E.

georgedaniels771

Newly Enlightened
That's kind of par for the course with the Chinese language translation problems and product specs and manuals. I think their products are OK but probably not as good as some others out there. But I know some people who carry two flashlights and use this one more since the batteries are cheaper.

markr6

Flashaholic
If tail standing is so important for your AA size Fenix, then get a LD15 ?

Good recommendation, but I don't like twist switches. Plus, momentary on is usually top on my list of must haves.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I usually tail stand a Fenix E05 and for other actions i use my old model E11. I walk around with both (actualy more then those two but i am a bit weird in that way).
Of course this light is a totally different price class but it got the clicky and a flat bottom: http://www.eagletac.com/html/d25arc/features/details.html

We are talking about the Fenix E11,if we start on other lights like the Eagletac as in your link the post goes off what the op started and becomes a tedious task to keep up with.

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
I saw the updated E11 on the shelf inside a local REI. I could identify it as the updated model both by the specs printed on the package and the appearance of the flashlight.

N_N_R

Enlightened
I think the specs are barely noticeable? *scratch* 5 lumens more for each mode? But the new appearance really appeals to me. I wish it were sold in more shops / our local, for example :D or even on eBay.... I've seen on eBay they say Fenix E11 with 115 lumens or so, but then it's again the old design. The new design makes it a lot more Fenix-y, according to me.

appliancejunk

Enlightened
output 105lumens up to 115 lumens; 32 lumens to 35 lumens. just tiny update with output, main update is the UI.

From old post that I have read about the E11 there seems to have been some confusion for sometime now as to if the E11 is 105 or 115 lumens max.
The changes in max lumens seems to have taken place in a LED upgrade at some point in time with the old style body. So going by the specs I have seen in the 2013 Fenix catalog for the new style E11 only the body has changed, not the max brightness, low setting output or UI.

__philippe

Enlightened
In the photo in the catalog, you can see the protruding tailcap

201324924426262.jpg

Momentary-on switch function YES, but definitely NOT tail-standing...

__philippe

Last edited:

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
How are the specs different then the older E11?

I have a saved copy of the listing at fenixlight.com of the E11 version 1. The specs I saw on the box at REI of the black E11 v2 agree with the specs at fenix-store.com and fenixlight.com

version 1
distance 72m [~236ft]
intensity 1279cd
low 32 lumens 8h 23min
high 105 lumens 1h 50min

version 2 black
distance 85m [~279ft]
intensity 1807cd
low 35 lumens 8h 45min
high 115 lumens 1h 50min

Curiously, maybe there might be two versions of version 2 of the E11 ? fenixlighting.com briefly had specs which contradicted the specs at fenixlight.com and on the box inside a brick and mortar REI. Initially I thought that fenixlighting.com made a few typos, but they are the same specs that are printed on the packaging for a silver version 2 of the E11 at brightguy.com

http://www.brightguy.com/images/products/large/FENE11BK_4.jpg

version 2 silver
distance 74m / 243ft
intensity 1375cd
low 38 lumens 8h 23min
high 115 lumens 1h 50min

Last edited:

N_N_R

Enlightened
I have a question.

Today I received the "new" Fenix E11 I'd ordered. However, I received the OLD design. I'm literally mad. I wanted the NEW body, the eBay seller had uploaded the new pictures with the new body. Noooo, I get the OLD one, which I have. The specs, though are different. What the hell, can I get the new, "improved", specs in the OLD body ?! ?!

It reads 38l on low and 115 on high, that's supposed to be the new, right? But in the old f**** "tube".

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently received an E11 silver. It's the new knurled design. Feels pretty good in the hand and the momentary on is fast, not slow like with LD22, which was included in the same order. The optics is not perfect, the hotspot is uncentered. This is clearly noticable close to a wall but not an issue in practical use outdoors, however.
About the beam character E11 provides a wider hotspot than Malkoff M60s and Surefire TIR optics, which is better for shorter distance, and I understand that's the main purpose for this light.
Personally I would prefer something like 5/50lm instead of 35/115lm. Or maybe the high level should be 35lm and a low of 1lm? That had been more useful than a high of 115lm. Apart from that I find this light a very good EDC alternative.

Last edited: