Dorcy 3 LED vs PT Attitude

bluewater

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone with both of these lights offer some comparisons for me. Relative size, beam quality/brightness etc. I'm looking for a light that can use NiMH's, is cheap and fits into a winter coat pocket. I'm looking for a cheap light that I won't miss if it gets stolen. I don't want to risk my Arc's or Micro Illuminator when my coat hangs at work!

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
bluewater...I have both the Dorcy 1AA/3LED and a PT Attitude. As far as brightness is concerned, they are relatively close in intensity as far as the hotspot is concerned, with the Dorcy having considerably more of a blue tint than the Attitude. As far as peripheral/sidespill light is concerned, the Attitude is brighter due to the fact that the Dorcy's LEDs are recessed in a flat reflector with only the tips of the LEDs exposed. The Attitude's LEDs are fully exposed in a regular dome shaped reflector that gathers the side light more effectively, and results in better sidespill. The Attitude will fit in a hip pocket better because of it's flat shape, and the Dorcy will fit in a front pants pocket a little better. In that regard, neither one is uncomfortable or cumbersome as far as pocket carry is concerned. As far as coat pocket carry goes, my nod would have to go with the Dorcy due to it being shorter...but that's sorta "splitting hairs", because they both carry well in a coat pocket, virtually unnoticed until you need them. Overall, I'd hafta say that the Attitude's output is more pleasing, due to the better color/quality of the LEDs. Of the two, however, I prefer the Dorcy for a couple of reasons: 1 AA cell instead of 4 AAA cells, and it handles a lithium AA cell with no problems so it's better suited for cold weather use and vehicle storage; DC/DC step-up converter in the Dorcy, so it is "semi-regulated" resulting in more consistent output; tail cap switch on the Dorcy vs. twist-on for the Attitude...one handed operation for the Attitude is virtually impossible and is a snap for the Dorcy. They're both very good lights for the $$, but my preference leans towards the Dorcy! Hope this helps...

PJD

bluewater

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info, the tail switch and semi regulation seal it for me. Ultimate beam quality in a light in this price range isn't a big deal. Now off to Home Hardware to see if I can find one.