Surefire E1L Question??

hcd615

Enlightened
I posted a while back that I bought a SF E1L from REI and it had a KX1B head. Today I looked on the SF website and they are not listed? Do they still make it? Isn't it the head for the E2L-AA and the newer E1L's like I purchased? Was anyone able to buy the SF E1L with the KX1B head setup?

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I posted a while back that I bought a SF E1L from REI and it had a KX1B head. Today I looked on the SF website and they are not listed? Do they still make it? Isn't it the head for the E2L-AA and the newer E1L's like I purchased? Was anyone able to buy the SF E1L with the KX1B head setup?

My E1L has KX head while E2L AA has KX1B head. These heads provide exactly the same brightness so I doubt that it really matters.

hcd615

Enlightened
When I posted about getting the KX1B head on my E1L I called SF. The rep checked and then double checked and called me back the next day and said the KX1B does put out 80 lumens on the E1L and it is more powerful then the KX1. Has anyone tested these two heads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevieo

Newly Enlightened
my e1L ordered in october 2012 at b&h & received in December 2012 has the kx1b head. to my eyes, high output is close to that of my e1b advertised on SF at 110 lm. SF site shows e1L advertised as 45 lm on high. I do not have an e2L with kx1b head to compare it to.

Last edited:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just checked the SF website, it still has the E1L and lists it as 45 lumens on high. I ordered what I thought was the 45 lumen model from LA Policegear. It shipped with a KX1B head and a battery with an expiration date of 2022 so it definitely looks like new stock to me. The box it shipped in still has the high listed as 45 lumens. It is the same perceived output as my wife's E2L AA.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just checked the SF website, it still has the E1L and lists it as 45 lumens on high. I ordered what I thought was the 45 lumen model from LA Policegear. It shipped with a KX1B head and a battery with an expiration date of 2022 so it definitely looks like new stock to me. The box it shipped in still has the high listed as 45 lumens. It is the same perceived output as my wife's E2L AA.

Surefires's claimed brightnesses are sometimes confusing. My E2L(KX2 head) is claimed as 60lm at the technical specification. On the package it stood 45lm. But the true brightness is around 100lm.

It's ~35% brighter than my E1L and E2L AA and almost half the brightness of my E2DL.

Last edited:

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
My E1L has KX head while E2L AA has KX1B head. These heads provide exactly the same brightness so I doubt that it really matters.

Hi Patric, my friend. How are you?

I just got another E1L (old model) because Surefire stopped produce them, and it´s the best light ever, IMHO.

I EDC a E1L with the "old" KX1 head. In the package it says 45 lumens on high, and I bought it in 2009.
After that I got one E2L-AA, with the KX1B head. It has 80 lumens on high, according to Surefire.
Last week I got a brand new E1L, with the "new" KX1B head. In the package it says 45 lumens on high, like the previous model.

For my eye, all of them have exactly the same output in high mode. The only difference I can see it´s the last E1L (with KX1B) has a little greenish tint in low mode, but just a little.

I think all have 80 lumens in high mode. Surefire just underrated the previous E1L with the "45 lumens" thing. Or maybe it´s an effect of the TIR lens, I don´t know...

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Patric, my friend. How are you?

I just got another E1L (old model) because Surefire stopped produce them, and it´s the best light ever, IMHO.

I EDC a E1L with the "old" KX1 head. In the package it says 45 lumens on high, and I bought it in 2009.
After that I got one E2L-AA, with the KX1B head. It has 80 lumens on high, according to Surefire.
Last week I got a brand new E1L, with the "new" KX1B head. In the package it says 45 lumens on high, like the previous model.

For my eye, all of them have exactly the same output in high mode. The only difference I can see it´s the last E1L (with KX1B) has a little greenish tint in low mode, but just a little.

I think all have 80 lumens in high mode. Surefire just underrated the previous E1L with the "45 lumens" thing. Or maybe it´s an effect of the TIR lens, I don´t know...

Hi Federal LG!

Yes, I am fine thanks! I still love and use the Outdoorsmans! :thumbsup:

Chadder

Enlightened
I stopped into my favorite local gun store and they had all the Surefire's at discontinued pricing. I picked up the E1L with the KX1 head for $85. He said they had 6 left. I thought about getting them all. On a side note I almost bought a Titan for $140.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I stopped into my favorite local gun store and they had all the Surefire's at discontinued pricing. I picked up the E1L with the KX1 head for $85. He said they had 6 left. I thought about getting them all. On a side note I almost bought a Titan for $140.

Lucky you over there to have such an opportunity!