My XP-G2 on copper, running at 3A in a P60 host

netprince

Enlightened
This was a fun project. This light is built on one of Cree's new XP-G2 LEDs. I used a 3C tint, which turned out to be a very nice, neutral tint. I reflowed the LED to a solid copper star, then mounted the star to a solid chunk of copper. All the copper allows me to run the XP-G2 at 2X its rated power output. (I measured it at 3.02 Amps).

The optic is a 26.5mm carclo 10048 TIR from illuminationsupply. The host is a gray solarforce L2N.
(NOTE: the tail cap boot and o-ring are orange, for some reason my ancient camera made them red)

I'm very happy with the end result. The light has a searing bright hotspot. The XP-G2 seems to handle 3A no problem. I dont see any kind of tint shift at all. The neutral tint is very nice.

IMG_20130321_190251.jpg

IMG_6901.JPG

IMG_6877.JPG

IMG_6891.JPG

IMG_6886.JPG

IMG_6897.JPG

Last edited:

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow great job!

I'm a big optics fan and its always great to see mods with them.

How is the beam pattern is it pretty throwy with minimal spill?

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great mod... I had the same optics for a year now and was thinking about giving it a run in P60 size... but your idea of overdriven XPG2 is very inspiring... I might be a little more conservative with amperage, maybe 1.8A or max 2.1A...

nofearek9

Newly Enlightened
yeap great mod,i will try to make a biger flashlight with 4 amps XPG2,i think will handle it fine.

jkpq45

Newly Enlightened
Vinhnguyen54 has done testing of the XP-G2 on solid copper at up to 5 A or so. I bet your setup could handle at least another 33% (up it to 4 A).

So, the optic helps to focus the hotspot? Any problems melting it yet?

netprince

Enlightened
Thanks everyone. The optic's beam pattern is not bad in my opinion. There is a square spill shape around the hotspot. There is also a ring around the square, but both of those are dim compared to the hotspot. There is no donut in the hotspot, which I like.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
nicely done, netprince!

You know this question was coming: got any whitewall shots?

Also, is the optic being held on the LED using the solarforce's head?

I've wanted to source a khatod optic, but the fit of the carclo to the P60 dimensions makes it hard to ignore.

Nice work, I may have to pick up one of the newer generation solarforce hosts someday. I have an old skool L2 gunmetal gray, beat-up looking, works great.

netprince

Enlightened
The optic fits under the bezel, basically a drop in replacement for the glass lens. The optic has a tab on it that has to be filed down in order to fit correctly, and that is tricky seeing how sensitive the plastic is to being scratched. I also turned around the rubber gasket that holds the glass lens so that the optic isn't loose.

Here are some quick beamshots, the wall isn't white though:

[h=2]Some beamshots:[/h] -2 stops:
IMG_6904.JPG

0 stops:
IMG_6903.JPG

+2 stops:
IMG_6905.JPG

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to ask a few questions if you don't mind?

Do have a photo of how your star is sitting on the piece of solid copper?
Do you still use the normal P60 reflector & pill?

Thank you!

JonK

Sent from my Awesome phone from somewhere in the mountains

las3r

Enlightened
Nice build, how do u like the sinkpad ? I'm doing a 10-14-16mm group buy

Itinifni

Newly Enlightened
Nice build!

I did a similar one a few months back. 3/4" copper with an XM-L at 4.2a and TIR. I used a Carlco TIR optic holder to properly position the TIR above the star. I found it gave a better beam than having the optic down on the star. It takes a little trimming to get the holder into the head though.

This picture is with an elliptical optic but I bought 4 different TIRs and can swap them easily, the elliptical make for a nice bike light.

DSC_0004.JPG

netprince

Enlightened
That is an interesting optic! Do you have any beamshots of the elliptical optic?

Itinifni

Newly Enlightened
Netprince,

Sorry, no beamshots at this time. If I have the time I'll take some comparing the various TIRs I have for this light.

The elliptical gives a wide, flat beam with a clean cut off on top and bottom. I like using it on my bike because it lights the sides of the road an doesn't blind oncoming cars.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got a neutral xm-l2 and xp-g2 on 16mm copper some days ago. Used the xm-l2 in a standard p6o pill with a 8xAMC (3.04A) diver and a solarforce smooth parabolic xm-l refletcor.
Have tested the driver/pill/reflector on a regular xp-g on alu, but that one shifted to blue after 10-20 sek in max mode. After reading this thread i had to try the xp-g2 copper in this setup, had my doubts, but it worked like a charm. The xp-g2 will stay in this setup. This thing is a little beast with the xp-g2. Eyeballing it against others lights, it's in the same ballpark as my hound dog-xm-l on 2x18650. But neutral tinted, and a lot smaller :)

Tiresius

Enlightened
I'm trying an aluminum build attempt on this stuff at 3A rating. Instead of copper, I'm using a massive aluminum slug that extends all the way down to the tube. The drive is pending on arrival for the complete build to happen.