Olight X6 - Throw video + weird noises at high temps

BelgianEvo

Newly Enlightened
Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
When I saw the title, I was thinking, "thermal expansion" noises. After watching the video, that thing is boiling glues, adhesives, resins or oils somewhere within the light. Sounds just like an egg frying.

Ragnar66

Enlightened
Mine makes similar noises. never had an issue with the light though.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be real worried too if I hear that noise. As what patriot said, glues, adhesive and plastic boiling in there was the initial impression I had when I hear that noise. Why don't you send Olight this video and see what they say?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am real curious to hear what their reply would be. I was quite close to getting this light actually.

Ragnar66

Enlightened
so i have nothing to worry about then? :)

Mine are similar but not the same for sure. Mine is similar to what I hear in many bigger lights but a little louder. From what I gather from the video after a few listens (very hard to judge) I again say similar but not the same as far as I can tell. What I can say is if the sound is well represented in the video I would call or send it in.

BelgianEvo

Newly Enlightened
Yep, the sound is exactly the same in the video as it is in ral life.
I allready mailed Olight Belgium with this issue and also attached the videolink.

I'll keep you guys posted !

BelgianEvo

Newly Enlightened
They allready replied ( 30minutes after i send my mail at 9pm)

This is their reply (translated with google)

First and foremost, I would ask you not to use the X6 and no longer to recharge.
This could potentially be a dangerous situation, we have not yet experienced but I can imagine that for some possible options.

Then I want you to answer the following questions:
-How long did you hear boiling sounds?
-Where did you get the X-6 purchased?
-Serial?
-was also warm the battery itself?

RTJ

Newly Enlightened
They allready replied ( 30minutes after i send my mail at 9pm)

This is their reply (translated with google)

First and foremost, I would ask you not to use the X6 and no longer to recharge.
This could potentially be a dangerous situation, we have not yet experienced but I can imagine that for some possible options.

Then I want you to answer the following questions:
-How long did you hear boiling sounds?
-Where did you get the X-6 purchased?
-Serial?
-was also warm the battery itself?

Hi Ben,

Due to your email last night, I also opened a topic on CPF to find out what the problem could be. Once I started a topic, I found out you started one yourself. I've closed mine already, as we should continue this thread.

I have contacted a few people personally, to see if they know what the problem could be. I'll keep you posted in this thread and your email.

Regards,
RTJ
Ledscherp

kj2

Flashaholic
Going to follow this thread closely. Really want to know what precisely the problem is- how this happens and if it can be solved.

RTJ

Newly Enlightened
Going to follow this thread closely. Really want to know what precisely the problem is- how this happens and if it can be solved.

We also want to know exactly what this sound is. We will post any updates once we know more.

RTJ

kj2

Flashaholic
We also want to know exactly what this sound is. We will post any updates once we know more.

RTJ
Don't hope it's going to turn-out on a major flaw. Would be a real pity if Olight has to do a call-back on all their X6 lights. (assuming the problem is really dangerous)

Olight Belgium

Newly Enlightened
Dear everyone, this is Vito from Olight Belgium.

While working late, I have been contacted by the member EvoBelgium earlier concerning his issue with the X6. I fell on this thread while looking for resources on similar issues.
I found this to be taken seriously as the noise obviously is more than just a simple metallic expansion noise, so I decided to stay even later, to try to replicate the issue using a brand new X6 light. :thumbsup:

My suspicions fell on Ben's way of testing the light, ie placing the head down for runtime testing. Given the heat of the X6's beam, I suspected that this could create a serious overheat situation. I decided to test this theory.

My theory is based on visual evidence presented in the video, so it could be flawed or wrong.

So I unwrapped a brand new X6 and switched it on in a horizontal position and left it on.
The charge indicated near-full (green), which is what I needed.

After 20 minutes, I started hearing regular light clicking noises every now and then. This is from the expansion of the aluminum parts. Aluminum makes this distinct clicking noise, the same one you hear after you switch your hot car's engine off. Nothing unusual.
After 30-35 minutes, the clicking noise stabilized at a constant frequency of once every 4 seconds.
The output had visibly stepped down from its max output of 5000 lumens, in a perceptible way.
The X6 was warm and at some parts (front firewall) hot to the touch, but nothing unusual.

So I decided to replicate the exact test conditions as seen in Ben's video.
Still burning on its high setting, I put the light head-down on a flat wood table, put my head next to it and listened. The light's hot beam would be shining directly onto the table at around 10 milimeters from the source.
In a matter of seconds, the clicking noise's frequency started increasing very fast and the heat around the light started to become perceptible around the light.
After about 2 minutes, the light was starting to click very fast.
After 6 minutes the clicks were starting to become simultaneous and to become similar to EvoBelgium's "leaking sound", a light burning smell was perceptible.
At that point I placed the X6 back in a normal horizontal position. For several minutes, the clicking sounds continued to increase in frequency but at a much smaller rate, probably continuing on the momentum built-up during the head-down phase.

I decided to stop the test, to avoid damage to the X6 and switched it off.
The clicking noises continued for several minutes until the light cooled down.

Conclusions:

I can't ascertain it with 100% certainty without testing the light myself, but this is my conclusion based on the evidence I have:

1. The light overheated due to the position in which it was placed, ie head down. Head down,the 5000 lumens light was accumulating heat very very fast, and the circuitry couldn't step down enough in the high mode, to compensate for this accumulating heat.
Probable causes:

-head-down on a flat surface, the light's hot beam is reflected on the shiny surface, causing the beam's heat to reflect and radiate back onto the light.

-Possibly, a light-coloured surface combined with the lens and the conic reflectors, could result in a magnifying glass effect of the reflected beam.

-The heat released is very much trapped between the light and the table surface, with only small amounts being able to escape through the small gaps and through absorption by the table surface, causing the light to absorb a significant amount of that rising heat.

-Hot air rises. This X6's fins are placed vertically along the length of the light in order to create a cooling airflow that flows upwards, in order to cool the core and the fins. This rising airflow effect is very noticeable in a dusty room. When the X6 is placed head down, the fins are no longer vertical but horizontal. The colling effect is thus strongly impaired as there is no airflow going through the fins and around the core.

2. What worries me the most in Ben's video is that it isn't the light that shut itself off (although it looked that way) but the battery. That's why neither the battery nor the light would come back on.
-I can't say for sure whether it's protection kicking in or permanent damage to the battery by a short in the light/battery, caused by the overheat melting some components in the light.

You all know what Li-polymer batteries can do when damaged, and I don't want Ben to take the risk of operating or charging a damaged battery or light.
In my test, after 6 minutes head down, the light was already very hot even though it wasn't clicking as much as in Ben's video, so I can't say what 20 minutes in that position would do to it, but it couldn't be good.

To Ben: I strongly suggest that you contact your reseller to have the light checked as a precaution, and repaired if necessary, so that you don't have to take the risk of operating/checking a potentially damaged li-polymer battery. Do mention to them how it all happened and that the battery/light could be damaged, so that they can take their safety precautions.

If regardless of this suggestion, youpossess the technical know-how, are pretty sure that nothing is damaged and intend to check the light/battery for serviceability by yourself, I suggest that you take the necessary precautions and handle the battery/light as if it was damaged. A damaged li-polymer battery presents a fire and explosion risk during charging or discharging.

But of course, without seeing and testing the light physically, I could be wrong.
If you or other posters disagree with this assessment, please do not hesitate to post your assessment.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Great Response from Olight Belgium! Very Helpful!!! :twothumbs

I would definitely have the light inspected, repaired or replaced but I wouldn't be too concerned with the battery pack. There's no link between the head of the light overheating and the battery. It's separated from the light body and in its own "cool" case. At least you know that you can't run the light in the reflector down position from now on. Olight might have to update their user manual to reflect that as well.

kj2

Flashaholic
After reading the response of Olight Belgium, I say; ship that baby back to Olight for a check-up :)
Think parts (inside the light) have melted. And when I saw the video, I strongly think the problem is at the light and not at the battery-side.