XR-E: Still the best for throw?

MrNaz

Enlightened
Hi everyone,
I've been out for a bit and I was wonderingif the XR-E emitter package is still the best for throw? I have been using the Skyray 1jc8 flashlights for some time now, as the best thrower for the money. However, it's been a few years now since I started using that model and I was hoping that there have been some developments in the throw department since.
So, is the XR-E R2 still the emitter of choice or have we managed to up the game?
- Naz.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Luminus SBT-70 might have it beat for throw. Anybody know for sure?

The Deft-X has 900,000 candela. Candela relates to throw distance, like lux.
The SBT-70 in the Olight, which is highly regarded as a thrower, has only about 250,000 cd.
Deft-X has almost 4 times the candela intensity.

The SBT 70 is not even beginning to get into the same galaxy with the Deft-X.
The Deft-X is in a whole other universe.

Fresh Light

Enlightened
The Luminus SBT-70 might have it beat for throw. Anybody know for sure?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the SBT70 just a SBT90 with a phosphor circle and a masking over the rest of the blue LED? The only advantage right now is it is available in 1 higher flux bin than the SBT90. But it's going to be a more blue color.

The XR-E is the classic thrower LED, and still quite capable, but it's output limited to 3-400 Lumens with perfect thermal path and overdrive. It is especially good with the EZ900 .9mm sq. The XP-G2 can be overdriven to over 800 lumens and the die is still small at 3.45, I believe. The tiny die of the XP-C may be the best thrower of them all if it could be pushed hard enough, but I don't know if can be pushed too much over 100 lumens or so.

I think it depends on how many lumens you're looking for then go from there. My best LED throwers use the XP-G2 driven to 3.3A and SBT90 at 13A. They have very different outputs but both will light up things far away. If you are using an aspheric like on the DEFT, don't use anything bigger than the XP-G2. With a much bigger lens the bigger dies would work but the light would be huge.

KarstGhost

Enlightened
Yep the SBT-70 is a "cut down" version of the SBT-90 for improved ability to focus. Not sure what method is used to change it from an SBT-90. If I remember correctly Self-Built explores the topic in his review of the Olight SR95SUT. The Deft uses an XPG2, right? But the XPG2 is not necessarily a better emitter for throw than the SBT-70 or an XR-E if you had them in the same host or reflector.

For the OP if you are just looking for say a P60 drop in for max throw, I think the XR-E is still one of, if not the best choice for throw.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep the SBT-70 is a "cut down" version of the SBT-90 for improved ability to focus. Not sure what method is used to change it from an SBT-90. If I remember correctly Self-Built explores the topic in his review of the Olight SR95SUT. The Deft uses an XPG2, right? But the XPG2 is not necessarily a better emitter for throw than the SBT-70 or an XR-E if you had them in the same host or reflector.

For the OP if you are just looking for say a P60 drop in for max throw, I think the XR-E is still one of, if not the best choice for throw.

Actually the XR-E is not that good anymore. You wont get more than around 200-250 otf Lumens.

The newer leds like the XP-E2 and the XP-G2 are way better when de-domed, mounted on copper and overdriven. It's not even close.

The difference in intensity between the Xp-E2 and XP-G2 when overdriven by same percentage is very small. The XP-G2 is just twice as large and produces twice as many lumens.

At the same drive current as an XR-E and everythuing else being the same (mounted on copper, same lens etc.) a de-domed XP-E will triple the lux. I have a light were this is the case.

BTW: there is already a thread on this topic: Is the XR-E still the King-Of-Throw?

Here you can see what can be done with the DEFT host these days. And thats with a big XM-L led. For comparison: the original DEFT did 150-200k lux.

Last edited:

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out XP-E2. In P60 it gives a similar beam profile to XR-E and noticeably more output from what I can see with mine (a 2.0A XP-E2 neutral white).

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a dedomed 2.5A copper-mounted XP-E2 in my Deerelight Xsearcher and it significantly out throws the 2.1A XR-E EZ900 it replaced. Get's hot pretty quick though...

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the SBT70 just a SBT90 with a phosphor circle and a masking over the rest of the blue LED? The only advantage right now is it is available in 1 higher flux bin than the SBT90. But it's going to be a more blue color.

The XR-E is the classic thrower LED, and still quite capable, but it's output limited to 3-400 Lumens with perfect thermal path and overdrive. It is especially good with the EZ900 .9mm sq. The XP-G2 can be overdriven to over 800 lumens and the die is still small at 3.45, I believe. The tiny die of the XP-C may be the best thrower of them all if it could be pushed hard enough, but I don't know if can be pushed too much over 100 lumens or so.

I think it depends on how many lumens you're looking for then go from there. My best LED throwers use the XP-G2 driven to 3.3A and SBT90 at 13A. They have very different outputs but both will light up things far away. If you are using an aspheric like on the DEFT, don't use anything bigger than the XP-G2. With a much bigger lens the bigger dies would work but the light would be huge.

As long as drive over a watt, I haven't bought an xp-c that I didn't like. Maybe the coleman xpc headlamp, I hated because it was underdriven and supershallow refector which was bare respectable enough to be called a reflector. The color and throw of the xpc are wonderful.

The down side on most xpc lights is the poor driver and power supply. The Rayvac indestructible xpc 2 aa light has a good driver, and 4 hour of near flat runtime with 9000 lux, if I remember--with a killer price. In many ways (like wristlighting dry wall repair), I like it better than my 18650 regulated xpg2, which has 1/4th the throw.

Though overall, I would rather a larger battery pack, good reflector, and an xpg2. [XML's can throw at lower current, but need a large reflector (often xml heads come so heavy (for heat dissipation at the possible high drive levels) that many occupations with heavy xml light housing are not practical--wristlight and headlamp.]