Zebralight H502c: What color is yours?

williaty

Newly Enlightened
Based on this forum's recommendation, I bought a H51Fc a couple of years ago and I love it. Based on my love of that headlamp, I bought two H502c's hoping for a similar love but with even more flood. The H502c got here and it's basically unusable for me, it's going back one way or another. The problem was the color of the light. Both the H51Fc and H502c are listed as being the same emitter, same CRI, same CCT. However, the older H51Fc that I have produces a fairly neutral seeming light, perhaps with a touch of pink/blue to it, which obviously means a slight deficiency of yellow (I worked for years as a copy photographer and a photographic printer, so I tend to see the color of light rather than auto-white-balancing my head to it). Sadly, the 502c is a disgusting sickly yellow-green color! I contacted ZL about the issue and they took over a week to give me a reply that basically said "Meh, bins." To me, this is worse than the tint lotto we all used to play. You can use my H51Fc and get decent perception of color with it, then turn it out, wait around in the dark outside for 15 minutes, and finally turn the H502c on and it's immediately obvious that something is wrong with the color. I freely admit to being super-sensitive to color, but it's far enough off that I can't use it for the purpose I bought it (work light).

So my question is "What tint does your H502c have?" If most of the ones they're shipping are a sickly yellow green (which might be the case since I have 2 that look the same), I'm just going to return it. If it's random and people are getting all kinds of tints, I'll ask to exchange it and see what happens.

It also makes me afraid to buy another H51Fc since it has the same emitter. It's sad, because I would like another one.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have also noticed this problem. Mine is pink in the middle and green on the outside.

Have you tried the Nichia 219 high-cri led with 4500K? It's a bit cooler, but has a perfectly even tint across the beam.

williaty

Newly Enlightened
I have also noticed this problem. Mine is pink in the middle and green on the outside.

Have you tried the Nichia 219 high-cri led with 4500K? It's a bit cooler, but has a perfectly even tint across the beam.

Zebralight now lists a 5000K Phillips Rebel high CRI as the "cool" 502c, not something based off the 219.