My first Maglite mod

pyro1son

Newly Enlightened
Slowly over the years I've become more and more fond of higher end/output torch's. The first torch I brought for my self was a 4D cell Maglite, which served me well in for many years in the Scouts. Unfortunately due to its size and the fact it needed 4 D-cells every time it was used because the battery life was quite poor, the Maglite got relegated to the bottom of the wardrobe for several years. Until I stumbled across the British Blades forum, as I've always had a fascination with knives, and from there I found CPF, which lead to me buying my first Fenix, the LD20. After reading numerous threads here at CPF I decided that it was time to breath new life into my old Maglite. It was time to start collecting the necessary parts.
Host: As I already had a 4D Maglite that would do nicely.
Emitter: After reading many different threads I decided to go with a DX drop-in.
Power: Now this was the tricky part. The maglite was too long for Li-ion cells and not long enough to reach the 8.4v with Alkaline or Ni-MH batteries. So I snagged me a bargain 2D cell Maglite from the bay, and using 2x 3AA Series to D cell adapter and my problems were solved.

First I cut the tower on the switch down and soldered on a connecter.
IMG_0001-1.jpg

I then went to fit the emitter into the Mag head. This didn't go to plan. The drop-in was just too wide at both ends, so I attempted to dremel down emitter to make it fit, which wasn't successful.
BUT due to the amazing people on such forums I was saved, packrat over at British Blades gladly helped me out by reducing the size of the drop-in and increasing the room in the Mag head, I can't thank packrat enough.
The images below show what needed to be removed and the difference inside the Mag head.
IMG_0004cut.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

After that I soldered on the other half of the connecting lead.
IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

And it was almost ready, just needed to charge the batteries and assemble the light.
IMG_0006.jpg

And here is the final product.
IMG_0007.jpg

Definatly not the 1200 lumens advertised but works brilliantly and I'm extremely happy with the way it turned out. :D

I shall try and get some beam shots later in the week after my exams and probably some run times.

Feel free to ask any questions and thanks to looking :D

Last edited:

Hugo7

Newly Enlightened
Power: Now this was the tricky part. The maglite was too long for Li-ion cells and not long enough to reach the 8.4v with Alkaline or Ni-MH batteries. So I snagged me a bargain 2D cell Maglite from the bay, and using 2x 3AA Series to D cell adapter and my problems were solved.

Interesting, I'd like to try and do something similar. Where abouts did you get the d cell adapter (the link's broken) and what was the rough cost of the overall mod?

pyro1son

Newly Enlightened
Fixed the link! I got them from Kaidomain.
Total cost was around £25 as I already had the Maglite but they can be had cheap anywhere!

Last edited:

Hugo7

Newly Enlightened
Cheers for that.

I've just picked up a 4D... and so it begins :)