Weird problem with Maglite XL50

Martin80

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I recently got an XL50 139 lumens (#107 written on the LED) that i use with 3 AAA rechargeable Duracel 1000 Mah NiMH (brand new). After a couple of minutes (maybe 5-10), I almost can't see the difference between high and low mode. After couple more minutes, I can only use the low mode. I see a real quick high flash and it goes to low mode. Should i use another brand of NiMH? Is 1000 Mah too much for this flashlight? I also have a 77 lumen mini maglite that i use with energizer 2300Mah NiMH and never had this problem.

Thanks in advance,

Martin

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suspect that you have a charger that charges in pairs, and one of your AAAs is weaker than the others. This is one of my pet peeves with the 3xAAA configuration - the common chargers don't work nicely with the third cell. You can correct this by rotating six cells, getting a smarter charger, and making sure that your AAAs are in decent shape.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
These paired chargers do not work well when a given pair has mismatched charge. The open-circuit voltage of these AAAs should be over 1.35v. If not, the cell is probably not fully charged.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have found that the XL50 uses batteries faster than any light I have ever owned.
I like the form and size of them and the light and interface is not too bad but the only real compelling feature anymore to me of this light is that I can get a new one whenever they crap out at Home Depot in exchange.
I have already done this maybe a dozen times and always due to the crappy battery carrier.

I have 2 and want to like it still but I just can not.

Ed

Martin80

Newly Enlightened
Well i tested again after charging 4 1000mAh batteries and so far it seems fine. Thanks for the help!

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ... the XL50 ....t the only real compelling feature anymore to me of this light is that I can get a new one whenever they crap out at Home Depot in exchange.
I have already done this maybe a dozen times and always due to the crappy battery carrier.

How do you get Home Depot to do the exchange? Did you purchase an extended warranty on your flashlight through Home Depot?

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do you get Home Depot to do the exchange? Did you purchase an extended warranty on your flashlight through Home Depot?

I just walk in and tell them I got it there and that it shot craps and they exchange it.

Slazmo

Enlightened
My next purchase should be a Nitecore EA4. Way better than maglite.

Ha ha - who are you kidding lol...

I have found that the XL50 uses batteries faster than any light I have ever owned.
Agreed - within a week and 2 pairs of fresh good quality batteries "gione"...

I have 2 and want to like it still but I just can not.
I had my XL50 was on its way back within a minute from prying the light from its plastic blister pack - this after suffering severe packaging rage...

I tried and tried to like the torch, I carried it like a EDC, took it to work, used it in a dark room with no lights and even went fishing with it... I pried the lense out and tried to replace it with a OEM Mag 2AA lense and that went up the wazoo... So in the end after only 5 days it went back to its store. Even with a complete B/S story about how the torch is faulty, I just couldn't look the lady in the eye's and say that "the XL50 Maglite is crap thats why I am returning it".

I'm sticking to my Inova X1's - nowhere near as much light however just better thought out!

RubiconSS

Newly Enlightened
I have had one here in my workshop for months (bought it early summer) still on the same set of batteries, use it almost every day.
Great little light for the $$ IMO.

Phry

Banned
I have had one here in my workshop for months (bought it early summer) still on the same set of batteries, use it almost every day.
Great little light for the $$ IMO.

Wasn't really what the topic was about.

Light Sabre

Enlightened
Hello,

I recently got an XL50 139 lumens (#107 written on the LED) that i use with 3 AAA rechargeable Duracel 1000 Mah NiMH (brand new). After a couple of minutes (maybe 5-10), I almost can't see the difference between high and low mode. After couple more minutes, I can only use the low mode. I see a real quick high flash and it goes to low mode. Should i use another brand of NiMH? Is 1000 Mah too much for this flashlight? I also have a 77 lumen mini maglite that i use with energizer 2300Mah NiMH and never had this problem.

Thanks in advance,

Martin

I am having the same problem with my mini mag 2AA LED that I just bought. Put NMH rechargeables in it, it worked a few times, dropped from hi to low on its own pretty quick, then would only come on in low. I knew that my rechargeables were good because I used a BC-900 battery charger and knew that they were fully charged. I put alkalines in the flashlight and the problems went away. I think that you will have the same results. I don't like the idea of alkaleaks in my flashlight one bit, but if that is what it takes to get it to work properly.

In my opinion this is what you will probably find:

NMH: voltage is too low for the light to operate properly. Your NMHs are more than likely fine.
Alkaline: voltage is just right and what Maglite designed it for.
L91 lithium: voltage is too high and may kill the light.

I have discovered that when a widgets documentation says "only use alkaline batteries" they mean it. Using NMH can cause undesirable/flaky operation (maybe not at first) because the voltage is too low. Using L91 lithiums is a crap shoot. It may work fine. It may go:poof:.