ROP mod with a 6D cell

FresnelMag4

Newly Enlightened
Hi CPF, it's been a while!
Anyway, I'm starting a modification to my 6D maglite. My plan was to do the ROP mod, allowing the 6 cells to do the work. I'm waiting for the lamps and SMO reflector to arrive in the mail, and I think I'll cut the lens myself from 1/8'' plate glass. ( I know borofloat/UCL lens' are cheap, but so am I :p) Now for the $64K question(s): I'm gonna use alkalines until I can find reasonably-priced NiMh D-cells, so how much runtime can I expect, and will I blow the lamp at 9VDC as opposed to the 7.2 VDC of rechargeables?

Also, if alkys are feasible (at least for now), should I add a series resistor to lower the lamp's voltage, or will it (the Pelican 3854) do alright on 9 volts?

Thanks!

EDIT: Another option: I have a 2C mag, if you could suggest cheaper rechargeables.

Last edited:

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's been a while for me too.
But isn't ROP around 4AMPs?

Alkalines won't do that.
ROP L is about 2 amps, even that's too much for alks

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
untill you get rechargables, leave original bulb in there, there is no point to use rop bulb if you can't supply needed current. not to mention it may flash from 9+v.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 protected cells wont fit in 2c, he would need an extention, but 2 unprotected imr (panasonic ncr) will fit just fine.

Turk.919

Newly Enlightened
So can the ROP High run on a 6D with stock (Alk) batts?

Not asking if it's cost efficient, curious of it can be done without popping a bulb

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I first did my 6D ROP light, I had no NiMH D cells. So I had to use alkalines. My finding was that, with alkalines, there was no difference whatsoever in brightness between the 6D Mag Xenon, ROP Lo, and ROP Hi. In other words, there's no advantage to using either ROP bulb compared to the Magnum Star Xenon bulb.

As far as flashing the bulb because alkalines provide 'more voltage', dream on. With the ROP Hi bulb in there, you're lucky to be getting 6V from six alkaline D cells.

As far as batteries, I HIGHLY recommend Tenergy batteries. Mine have been really good to me. And they are pretty inexpensive (about $18 for two D cells). They are available in either 10000 mAH Premium cells or 8000 mAH LSD Centuras. The price per cell is about the same between the two. But for whatever reason, Centuras are available only in two packs. And Premiums are available only in multiples of four.

Last edited: