Old Surefire M6 Guardian....what to do with it?

Pleiades

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys.....Im a newbie, so please be gentle!

I bought an M6 Guardian back in 2007 and is still in pristine condition.
Back in the day it was awesome, but right now with the new LED lights and rechargeable batteries, I know there are better and cheaper options.

Is there anything I can do with it?
Does it have any value at all, or should I just forget about it and move on?
(I'm reticent to do that cause it cost me heaps)

If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great advice on getting the PhD pack. Once you go rechargeable it is much easier to grab the M6 and use it as much as you want without having to worry about going through batteries.

My M6 uses a PhD-M6 battery pack with a MN20 lamp. It throws better than every LED light I own, although I mostly use P60 format lights.

As far as I know, there aren't really any good throwing, high CRI options to convert your M6 to an LED. You could always buy a Malkoff MD60 LED drop in, but the tint on mine was awful.

scout24

Flashaholic
Keep it! Use it! :) there are 2x18650 adapters out there that will run the MN20 and MN15 bulbs. Both will also happily run on the stock 6x123 primary setup. And the MN21 is awesome, if a bit of a battery hog with regular primary batteries. I speak from experience, I owned and sold a couple M6 in my early days here, and always seemed to buy them again. Currently own two...

archimedes

Flashaholic
Yep ... nice torch :D

Lots of options - collectible in vintage/stock condition, upgradeable in either incandescent or LED format(s) :twothumbs

:welcome:

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep it. Despite the advent of more "efficient" LED lights, the incandescent M6 is still one heck of a light. I've kept my M6 stock, and even if it's been about ten years, the M6 puts a smile on my face every time I light it up. There's just something about an original M6...

Oh, and if you really don't want to keep the light, check the CPF Marketplace and ebaY to get an idea of current pricing. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good call on the 18650 adapters. They are an inexpensive alternative to the PhD-M6, and while they don't regulate the voltage, it certainly is a quick, easy, cheap way to get a rechargeable M6.

carrot

Flashaholic
If you wish to upgrade it to an LED, the Lumens Factory Seraph XM-L Turbohead would be a nice possibility!

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Absolutely keep it. It is a classic, and will remain valuable through the years. All the suggestions are great, but with the bounty of other affordable LED lights, I would recommend keeping it stock, and pick up an extra couple of bulbs for longevity, since they won't always be available. The drop-in LED options are completely reversable, so that is another good option. The rechargeable options mentioned above are wonderful.

What a great first post! Welcome to CPF.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a great light - keep it

Mine is running a 2x18650 adapter, and a Lumens Factory IMR M3T bulb, HO-M3T and Seraph P7 head (depending on mood, and runtime needed)

I have an M4 as well so I am planning on buying a single Malkoff dropin to use in both of them, when the mood strikes.

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep it and spend hundreds of dollars on parts for it orrrrr......give me 10.00 and the light and you save hundreds of danaros. End of problem. :hahaha::hahaha:

Welcome to cpf!!!

GrizzlyAdams

Enlightened
sell it for 1/3 the current value in the marketplace like another chap who asked almost this same question a few days ago

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I kept mine, and put the Malkoff drop in it MD-60 XML, and it is now an LED at around 500 lumens with flawless Surefire and Malkoff reliability and style. Plus you get more run time with your batteries with the LED.

The drop in is like $90.

I have the new SF M6LT which I control the neighborhood with, and the older M6 Malkoff serves many different new duties now Like a second light to hand some one, or kept in the truck sometimes, things like that. The LED Drop in's give so many lights another life.

These are some of the best lights ever made and I know this is the Incan forum, however this is what I did to mine and is worked out perfect.

Best,

NR

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe just keep it stock like others have said. Consider buying some bulbs for it...and wrap the bulbs in tissue...place them in the batt tube. Then find a nice display place for it to rest. Pass it on to your kids/loved ones when you pass away. They will get a good laugh remembering the days of old. And my guess is the value will only go up from here as a collectable.

For $90 just buy some new led light that you can scratch up without caring. My thoughts anyway...

jamesavery22

Newly Enlightened
Are there any good threads that have photos of the head dismantled? Would like to do a led conversion on the head and curious how much space is in it. After seeing some of the folks cramming 7 led's in the head I'm curious on a multi XM-L2 setup in that thing.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Are there any good threads that have photos of the head dismantled? Would like to do a led conversion on the head and curious how much space is in it. After seeing some of the folks cramming 7 led's in the head I'm curious on a multi XM-L2 setup in that thing.

I suggest searching for threads by LED Zeppelin to start....

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
As archimedes suggested, searching CPF for M6 mods from LED Zeppelin will lead you to the MZXR-7, which is a 7 x Cree XR-E mod of a SureFire M6. The heat sink is specifically machined for the Cree XR-E and matching McR19XR reflector, so you'd probably have to make some additional mods for proper fit using XM-Ls and whatever reflector you pick.

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
As archimedes suggested, searching CPF for M6 mods from LED Zeppelin will lead you to the MZXR-7, which is a 7 x Cree XR-E mod of a SureFire M6. The heat sink is specifically machined for the Cree XR-E and matching McR19XR reflector, so you'd probably have to make some additional mods for proper fit using XM-Ls and whatever reflector you pick.

Like mine? :nana:

surefirem6trip7.jpg

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, I thought you were referencing Led Zep's M6 mods in general.

Justin Case, are you running a Remora or something like that? I run mine in double D.