ever break a Maratac AAA?

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
my son dropped his...

maratac-broken.jpg

and this was my fix...

the head is just small enough to be able to fit in a copper pipe. just cut to length, file, add epoxy and insert broken head. be sure to protect lens from overspill epoxy when inserting head.

I tried to put the "new" head on a spare copper body, but forgot that the AL threading is different from the Cu & SS threading....

maratac-fixed-1.jpg

maratac-fixed-2.jpg

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great fix!

I actually prefer the copper headed look to the old.

I hope your son is happy now. Lovely useful little light.

My son didn't like 2 tone, so he's now got a SS Maratac AAA on his keychain, and he took the AA Maratac Black for pocket carry.

bla2000

Enlightened
I like your fix.

Mine broke in exactly the same place as yours when I dropped it from 1 m high onto aggregate stone. I had it clipped on my pocket but when I pulled something else out of my pocket I pushed the clip off and it fell to the ground.

Tesla

Enlightened
Makes me glad I got the Stainless Steel model. I've dropped it numerous times now onto hard surfaces (concrete, mostly) and it literally hasn't been scratched...maybe I'm lucky.....

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know a piece of plumbers tape on the body threads will likely "fix," however, not satisfied with that idea considering the product is flawed. My Maratac AAA Al rev3 is stripped, and I don't think it was my error, but the battery spring which is far too powerful. I've seen more than a few posts talking about losing the head off a keychain because the spring just ripped up the threads and launched it off somewhere. The head still twists onto my copper body, and works fine. The Maratac Cu has a different spring with less tension. So I've boxed it up, and will attempt a warranty repair with Maratac (less than a year old), which I'm not looking forward to... :/