UV Sealant Curing Light 365-420 nM

EvilBlackDog

Newly Enlightened
I would like to create a UV curing light to trial some UV sealants. Like the thread title says, the spec for the sealant says they cure in the 365-420 nm wave length range. I was thinking that it would be neat to build it into a flashlight housing but isn't totaly necessary. I need something powerful to do the job, sure the standard 5mm led's will cure it but it will take a long time. Does anyone have experience building something like this or could point me in the right direction?

I read another thread that talked about using a Cree 7090 UVV which is in the correct wave length range but I couldn't even find a place to buy them. Plus they don't seem to come in the standard configuration that I see most of the LED's used for flashlights come in.

I'm just looking to get pointed in the right direction, thank you all in advance.

LilKevin715

Enlightened
Hi there EvilBlackDog :welcome:

A emitter such as the Nichia NCSU033A / NCSU033B or a LedEngin LZ1-00U605 would do the job. However finding a emitter at a reasonable price might be a challenge.

EvilBlackDog

Newly Enlightened
Hi there EvilBlackDog :welcome:

A emitter such as the Nichia NCSU033A / NCSU033B or a LedEngin LZ1-00U605 would do the job. However finding a emitter at a reasonable price might be a challenge.

Thanks for the welcome and the input.
Mousers site had the LED Engin listed as obsolete but I found a similar one http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...=sGAEpiMZZMu4Prknbu83y1kHJl487QqnKl2RitEyO3c= and $33 bucks isn't too much to handle. This is a work project so they'll foot the bill and I'll get to learn how to make a flashlight so I can do it for myself. (I love double purpose work projects!) besides, professional UV curing lights are expensive and I just need something for a proof of concept.

The one I linked looked more like what I've seen used in a regular flashlight. Is there any special considerations when building this project that wouldn't apply to a normal flashlight?

LilKevin715

Enlightened
What kind of light setup (batteries, form factor, etc.) would this project have? The only special considerations I can think of at the moment are dependant on the power source. Once the power source is determined then a appropriate driver can then be recommended. Other than that there is the obvious safety precautions (safety glasses).

EvilBlackDog

Newly Enlightened
I would like to use some sort of rechargeable battery to power it and I would like to fit it into a standard sized flashlight. The parts I'm curing are only .75" in diamer so it doesn't need to be huge. Is there a go to store that torch enthusits use that pretty much has everything? For some reason I'm struggling to find one.

LilKevin715

Enlightened
For a flashlight body I'd recommend a P60 host (e.g. Solarforce L2, see the list here) that accepts 18650 li-ion batteries. For the LED you would probably end up building your own P60 bulb/module. The LED needs to be reflowed and mounted (if not already) onto a pcb of around 14-16mm in diameter. Ideally you would need a boost circuit (with the appropriate drive current) to power the LED from a single li-ion due to the relatively high Vf (4v+) of UV LED's. Lastly a blank P60 module to mount the LED and driver to complete your module.

Some good stores to buy stuff from include fasttech, intl-outdoor, and illuminationsupply.

If you don't want to go the DIY route You can purchase a Eagletac T20C2 MKII (~$85) with a LedEngin 365nm module ($70) at illuminationgear.