Just received my new TX25C2 XM-L2. But looks like I got the older XM-L model?

Backpacker

Newly Enlightened
The LED looks like this:
287060-Cree_XLamp_XM_L_LEDs.jpg

I think the XM-L2 is supposed to look like this: (pic from selfbuilt's TX25C2 review)
TX25C2028.jpg

Can anyone confirm? Do I need to send this back for exchange? :mad:

TIA!

Last edited:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes the top picture is the old XM-L, send it back as soon as possible.

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a Preon P2 with an XP-G, but when I look at it it looks like an XP-G2. Are the 2nd gen. LEDs spotted and not striped?

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how many customers would have noticed this?

I also wonder if it is an error or intentional misinterpretation to sell the older as a newer model.

We may never know...

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the same thing recently. Box was marked XM-L2, but it was the older model. Vendor told me Eagletac is bad at mis-marking.

Last edited:

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should email the vendor you bought it from first, not Eagletac. It is likely they have no idea what happened and will happily and quickly send you the right one. Also, vendors are still selling the original XML, did you order the XML2, does the box say XML2?

Backpacker

Newly Enlightened
You should email the vendor you bought it from first, not Eagletac. It is likely they have no idea what happened and will happily and quickly send you the right one. Also, vendors are still selling the original XML, did you order the XML2, does the box say XML2?
I emailed both the vendor and EagleTac. I ordered the XML2, and the box had the XML2 "Free Upgrade" sticker on it,
but the flashlight was an XML. (Luckily, its easy to tell the difference between the XML and XML2)

The replacement (from a different vendor) should be here today. I'll post an update after I receive it. <fingers crossed>

Last edited:

Backpacker

Newly Enlightened
Replacement TX25C2 XLM2 arrived. This one *is* an XML2

I purchased this replacement from a different vendor, and this unit has the XML2 LED. (can't tell if its CW or NW?)
The on/off switch on this unit has a subtle *click*, you can both feel and hear,:twothumbs
The first unit I received (the XML) did not have *any* tactile feedback.
The underside of the head was a bit gritty/dirty. I cleaned it up with a couple q-tips.
There were subtle "grooves" on the tube face, where the two switches make contact.
I can see this creating a problem with more use.
TX25C2020.jpg

Initial impression of the turbo beam is so-so.
It doesn't have the pure white ringless beam of the Streamlight ProTac HL.
I'll have to wait until dark to really check it out.

I really like the UI.
Press-n-hold for instant turbo.
Doubleclick-n-hold for instant strobe.
The low is a nice moonbeam.
Med is too bright.

That's all for now. I'll go play after dark.

Last edited:

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Replacement TX25C2 XLM2 arrived. This one *is* an XML2

The on/off switch on this unit has a subtle *click*, you can both feel and hear,:twothumbs
The first unit I received (the XML) did not have *any* tactile feedback.
The underside of the head was a bit gritty/dirty. I cleaned it up with a couple q-tips.
There were subtle "grooves" on the tube face, where the two switches make contact.
I can see this creating a problem with more use.

I can confirm that there is now a *click* and i noted it explicitly in my review under most recent builds review section.

You can wipe away the subtle "grooves" by polishing the surface with a Q-tip. It's nothing. And if there is a real problem in distant future, you're backed up by the 10 years Eagletac warranty. Eagtac applies Deoxit on this surface and on the pins afaik, it's some sort of conductive lube.

Backpacker

Newly Enlightened

I can confirm that there is now a *click* and i noted it explicitly in my review under most recent builds review section.

You can wipe away the subtle "grooves" by polishing the surface with a Q-tip. It's nothing. And if there is a real problem in distant future, you're backed up by the 10 years Eagletac warranty. Eagtac applies Deoxit on this surface and on the pins afaik, it's some sort of conductive lube.
I like this switch much better. The older switch had the tactile feedback of a balloon.
DeoxIT is expensive! Luckily, I found a small 2ml tube locally.

Capolini

Banned

I ALMOST had a similar problem. However, before the light was sent to me I questioned his[Ebay] contradictory box that he used to sell his product and what he actually wrote in his description!

This was for a Fenix TK-35. When I wrote back to the guy after he said it is an XM-L LED, I replied,,,I know[!!] They have different bins like T-6, U2 ect!! The New version is the U2 version. I have NOT heard back from him which absolutely confirms to me that it was an attempt of misrepresentation!

You would not think a dealer would intentionally send a person the OLD version, but I would not put it past some of the sellers on Ebay/Amazon,even though they would want a reputation to with hold. I think some of them think MOST people are not knowledgeable enough to determine the difference of LED'S.

I personally know what several of them are suppose to look like. For confirmation and certainty I refer to my "Bookmarked" "Cree" website where they inform you of the functions of the LED'S and have pictures so you can identify them!

Ciao,,,Roberto,,,"Capo di Capo" "KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS"