Still enjoying my SL-20X! Any others? Anyone running or want to run glass UCL lens?

County

Newly Enlightened
Howdy!

So .. You know why you love incans. I like LEDs also but I find myself reaching for the SL-20X like I do the trusty old hammer in the toolbox. In fact, I think the SL-20X could function as a hammer in a jam. Nothing like the color rendering of an incan which also can double as an impact weapon!

I'm running a couple slide-switch SL-20s, an SL-20X, an SL-20XP, and an SL-35X. I use one of JS' SL-60 kits in an SL-20, and SL-35X bulbs in most of the rest. The newer smooth reflector SL bulbs (in grey package) are much improved over the older "fogged" reflector. Throwier, whiter, brighter. The new SL-35X bulb is about as bright as the SL-60!

On a couple of my lights I'm running a glass UCL lens from FlashlightLens.com. They were discontinued last year (known as "shock isolated 55mm UCL"). I thought they were a great product. Anyone else using these or something similar? If anyone is interested in acquiring this lens I've started an interest thread here to try to convince FlashlightLens.com another run would be worth it. I'd appreciate your support in that thread. That lens is a big improvement over the stock lexan as the stocker will melt even with OEM bulbs. Not to mention the improved light transmittal for incan and LED drop ins alike.

Otherwise I look forward to hearing from fellow SL-20/SL-35(X) fans right here!!

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fellow SL-20/SL-20X fan here.

I too still regularly use my large rechargeable Streamlights. I have an older SL-20 I have used for over 30 years and have three SL-20X's.

The SL-20 was the first expensive quality light I purchased. I think it was around $70 in the early 1980's when I purchased it. I was hooked on the output of this light especially with the SL-35 lamp assembly. The SL-20 has seen numerous battery packs over the years and one switch replacement. I also used the SL-35X lamp assembly in it for most of its life. This light was used every night for 20 years. I am currently using a fairly new Streamlight SL-20X lamp in it now.

One of my SL-20X's has JS's SL-60 bulb/reflector setup in it. In Incan Geek Talk that is a WelchAllyn 1160 ring-potted lamp installed in modified Carley 1940 MOP reflector. That is currently the light I have installed a shock isolated 55mm UCL lens in that I bought from FlashlightLens.com to handle the heat from the bulb. One of my other SL-20X's is in factory stock condition. Another SL-20X has a Malkoff MD20X LED drop-in installed.

I do like the stock plastic lens because they don't break when you drop the light onto a hard surface. However, they do melt with the JS SL60 setup, the SL-35X bulb and even with the SL-20X bulb left on for an extended runtime. The UCL lens has been fantastic with the bulb heat and the shock isolation has helped keep the glass from breaking for smaller impacts.

I posted on the interest thread that I would be in for several more of these lens if produced again.

Last edited:

County

Newly Enlightened
Appreciate your reply, NotRegulated, in this thread and in the interest thread (link is in my 1st post for anyone else interested).

How's the anodizing holding up on your SL-20? The ones that look almost silver from wear with plenty of war injuries I think are almost a status symbol!

I especially like the SL-20 because it is overall shorter than the SL-20X. And, the slide switch on the SL-20 can be fully disassembled for cleaning (unlike the X pushbutton switch). Nothing like some pro-gold magic to the conductive materials in the SL-20 switch assembly. Over time, I've noticed my 20Xs getting dim due to increased resistance in the switch. . not much to be done there but a switch-swap for $10 shipping to SL or similar cost for a new switch if swapping out yourself.

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too have an SL20X with Malkoff Devices MD20X led drop-in and use it often, it has a nice incandescent warm color to it. I also have one of the new SL20L led versions use the both at home and work.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not run UCL lenses on anything, because they are not very durable. But they are okay for shelf toys.

All of my lights have pyrex/borofloat or hardened mineral glass. The few that have plastic lenses only have them because I can't replace it.

Conte

Enlightened
The SL-20 came with a plastic lens ?

Hmm, I was always fascinated with the SL series lights when I was a teen.

Few years back I picked up and old used beat up SL-20 off ebay. It had a burnt bulb and a dead battery.
It did however come with a glass lens. I wonder if it got replaces at some point. Makes sense, It was pretty rough when I got it, well used, and needed some repair so I can see it not having an original lens.

I don't really use it, more of a collector.
I was able to carefully remove the bulb out of the reflector assembly and fit a new 6v 10w bulb of the same shape into it.
I made an adapter to run it off either a set of 26650 Lifepo4's, or 18650 Li-ions.

Not worth it to me to get an original battery as the lifepo4's will do the same job but better.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember using an SL-20 at work years ago and the lense was melted. So they must have come with a plastic lens at some point.

County

Newly Enlightened
So far I've only seen plastic lenses in the 'stock' SL-20/35 series. The clear lexan lens SL uses today is a definite improvement over the lenses of yesteryear. While I can't quantify the light transmittance difference, I can tell you subjectively today's product is visibly clearer. However, after prolonged use esp. with the higher wattage SL-35 bulb, even the stock lexan will show signs of heat stress with concentric rings.

I have had good luck with the UCLs. No failures yet, knock on wood. Admittedly, I'm not subjecting my lights to heavy rough use, but they aren't shelf queens. I have used them as an in-car cradle mounted light, camping, and countless projects around the house and garage. I've even dropped one a couple of times, and no issues. To me, a lens breakage will not create a catastrophic failure. . aside from possibly a mess. The bulb will still burn if the lens fails (unless dropped hard enough for the filament to get hosed of course). I'd rather have the additional output with possibly less durable lens than less output with a more durable lens. It's probably splitting hairs, and it's all about personal preference. . no right or wrong way, that's what makes the hobby fun!

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Scratch that, it may have been an SL-35, it was car mounted and I associate lexan with plastic. All I know is, it wasn't glass.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Nice to see members enjoying their incans. I still have several Streamlight, SL35, SL 35X, and an SL15X.

Bill

Admiralgrey

Newly Enlightened
I was lucky to receive a cop's old Sl-20 a few months back which I have fallen in love with as my duty light. The flasher/dimmer tailcap is a really cool option too and adds close range utility to the light in lieu to focusing. I also admire the 'tactical' suitability of the switch, being easy to find and use with gloved hands, as well as momentary and constant on being different motions.

I've been running the assembly intended for the light with 3 x 5mm led's- this reflector has an OP center for a nice smooth corona.

Also does anyone know where to find SL-35 lamps?

And of course, I would be interested if such a lens came to existence!

County

Newly Enlightened
Cool - nothing like an older SL-20X with some 'character.' Oh the stories that light could probably tell!

Am I understanding correctly you have been also running an LED drop-in?

SL-35 bulbs are available at Brightguy. They have the newly designed SL-35 which is a smooth mirror finish reflector. It is MUCH more throwy than the old design which was kind of a 'fogged' mirror reflector.

I know you said you like the dimmer tailcap, but just for fun, you might try a standard tailcap to observe the brightness gain. I loved the utility of the dimmer tailcap, but found the voltage and brightness drop to annoy me too much!

ClickClickBoom

Newly Enlightened
Well,
My old SL20 was gathering dust but thanks to the wonder of the interwebs, I discovered a battery source at a reasonable price point. The other problem was an intermittent bulb. Some searching allowed me to determine the bulb assembly from a SL20X would drop right in. Been using that ols skool fashlight around the home and on camping trips for the last 10 years or so, while not pretty its still a brute. I decided to source a used SL20X, to increase my flashlight options, found one on ebay for the right price. Found this forum, and thats where the problems began, so many options, choices and things of interest! I went over to the Malkoff site and promptly bought a MD20X for the SL20X, wow! What an improvement!

County

Newly Enlightened
Glad to hear it. Thanks for taking the time to post. That UCL lens sure is a nice complement to the SL-20/35 series.

Lately I've been reaching for my SL-20 (older slide switch style) instead of my SL-20X as the switch resistance is lower on my SL-20, thus it is brighter. I like that the slide switch can be disassembled and cleaned. Of course, am running UCLs in both! Well, actually running the UCLs in all of my SL incans:

SL-20 with newer style shiny mirror reflector SL-35 bulb
SL-20 with SL-60 kit (WA-1160 kit designed by CPF member JS)
SL-35X with older style SL35 bulb
SL-35
SL-20X with newer style SL35 bulb
SL-20XP with stock bulb

ClickClickBoom

Newly Enlightened
The Old Skool Sl20 was an issue duty light, carried it in my sap pocket for years, came out quicker than the baton and coupled with the baton was a kendo style combo that was a formidable combo. Throw in the blinding brightness and it was a very nice option, in the day when Mace was the the only other option for less than lethal force. I took the OS SL20 completely apart, cleaned and scotchbrited all connecting electrical surfaces added a few dabs of diaelectric grease to promote connectivity in the right places. Now I am waiting for the Malkoff MD20X to arrive so I can have it up and running with the LED and NiMh 3500 battery. Might go out and machine an adapter heat sink for grins!

County

Newly Enlightened
The Old Skool Sl20 was an issue duty light, carried it in my sap pocket for years, came out quicker than the baton and coupled with the baton was a kendo style combo that was a formidable combo. Throw in the blinding brightness and it was a very nice option, in the day when Mace was the the only other option for less than lethal force. I took the OS SL20 completely apart, cleaned and scotchbrited all connecting electrical surfaces added a few dabs of diaelectric grease to promote connectivity in the right places. Now I am waiting for the Malkoff MD20X to arrive so I can have it up and running with the LED and NiMh 3500 battery. Might go out and machine an adapter heat sink for grins!

Nice! Let us know how you like the new setup.

Yes, the smaller LED lights of today aren't quite as good of an impact weapon as the SL-20!

ClickClickBoom

Newly Enlightened
Well the Malkoff drop in arrived, got it installed and works great, lots more light, kinda wish the reflectors were similar in appearance, but its still an awesome upgrade.