200 Lumen LED Upgrade for Maglite on ebay?

rasmasyean

Newly Enlightened
I found this:

CREE MAGLITE LED UPGRADE BULB for 2/3 D/C cell Torch Metal Flashlights 3 watt
New Cree XP-G 200 lumen LED! Fits Krypton & Xenon Mags.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CREE-MAGLIT...-Torch-Metal-Flashlights-3-watt-/221267366170

Has anyone tried this? Is this good?

What's the difference between that and this 140 lumen brand name one:

TerraLUX TLE-6EXB TerraLUX MiniStar5 LED upgrade for 2-3 C/D cell Maglites
http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-6exb.html

Would you actually notice the difference during normal use?

Thanks!

stienke

Enlightened
Weird! , it's UK based!! and he doesn't ship to 80% of the European country's , I would say buy a Malkoff drop in for 15 bucks more and you have a much better product!

rasmasyean

Newly Enlightened
I think that's just the specific listing. He has listings that doesn't ship to US too. It prolly has a different equivalent price with free shipping.

I have really old mag lights and I'm not sure I want to spend like $60 total to upgrade and adapt them. :p

Last edited:

stienke

Enlightened
I think that's just the specific listing. He has listings that doesn't ship to US too. It prolly has a different equivalent price with free shipping.

I have really old mag lights and I'm not sure I want to spend like $60 total to upgrade and adapt them. :p

Yes you're right but if you have a Mag for a long time it's nice to keep it and give it a second life with todays technology , I have still my first Mag 4D from the end of the eighties and I never sell it! , it was my first 'real' flashlight!

rasmasyean

Newly Enlightened
Yes you're right but if you have a Mag for a long time it's nice to keep it and give it a second life with todays technology , I have still my first Mag 4D from the end of the eighties and I never sell it! , it was my first 'real' flashlight!

lol I know what you mean. Though my first "real" (i.e. Mag 3D) was taken across the country and back in my first road trip, the switch actually broke and I waranteed it. The replacement and the second were taken splelunking and has the battle scars to prove it from when I was younger and has memories of some good times! :) They do take a beating and stay with you for a long time usually.

rasmasyean

Newly Enlightened
Search for
TTS-3WCR45
That is what other sellers call it.

Here is a thread with comparison beamshots both the 180 and 200 lumen TTS vs other lights.
Note the TLE is in a minimag with a much smaller reflector resulting in a much softer spot.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?333274-CD-s-beamshot-comparison-Feb-2012

The TLE-6EXB? That's for a big mag. Or are you talking about another bulb? What does a smaller reflector do? Spread out the beam more?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TLE-6EXB? That's for a big mag. Or are you talking about another bulb? What does a smaller reflector do? Spread out the beam more?
Sorry got the name wrong. If you look at the captions in the photographs its 'Mini Maglite Ministar 2 Ex 140 lumen'. Same output as the TLE-6EXB.

The smaller reflector has less area to concentrate the light. So there is less light in the hotspot, more in the spill.

rasmasyean

Newly Enlightened
Sorry got the name wrong. If you look at the captions in the photographs its 'Mini Maglite Ministar 2 Ex 140 lumen'. Same output as the TLE-6EXB.

The smaller reflector has less area to concentrate the light. So there is less light in the hotspot, more in the spill.

Is that always the case with all flashlights? Or does it depend on the shape of the bulb/dish?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is that always the case with all flashlights? Or does it depend on the shape of the bulb/dish?
The shape of the LED affects throw. The XM-L is 4 times bigger than the XR-E/XP-E so can produce more light but it usually means 4X area of hotspot but not reaching out further.

The shape of the dish affects throw distance. But it needs to be a minimum size to do its job properly if throw is needed.

I have 2 180 lumen flashlights. If I bounce them off the ceiling both will light up the room the same. Left Quark MiNi AA2, right Dorcy.
MiNi-AA2-Dorcy-180-lumen-size.jpg

You can see how much difference the Dorcy's big reflector makes here.
MiNi-AA2-vs-Dorcy-180-lumen.jpg

rasmasyean

Newly Enlightened
Wow thanks! It looks like the Quark MiNi AA2 doesn't even have a reflector to focus it!

Anyone have experience with those "side emitter" LED's? I'm guessing that might help a "small" reflector throw better?