Mag serial number question

mattz357

Newly Enlightened
On Mag's website, in the D cell parts breakdown there is a reference to lights with a "D" serial number prefix. I have a 2D that I got about 8 years ago, my first flashlight ever, and it has a D prefix. Is there any difference in these lights??? I have also heard mention of a "new body style." Does anyone have a link, pics or info? Thanks!!!

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it has something to do with a slight (dare I say) design improvement involving the internals and the switch mechanism.

mattz357

Newly Enlightened
Do you know if the "improvements" affect all models or just the D models? Thanks again!

turbodog

Flashaholic
D or no D, I can say that through the years Mag has changed the outside diameter of their D cell lights. I have 2 lights from the early 80s and they are noticably thicker than the new things.

I will say this about Mag... through the years (1980ish to now) the price has actually decreased for them. Given the annual average inflation and the tendency for mfgs to raise prices that is quite a rare find.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me clarify that... The improvement has something to do with making it easier to access/replace the switch. The change was only on the D designated lights.

mattz357

Newly Enlightened
Back to the original question, does anyone know what the difference is between the "D" prefix or non D prefix lights? Thanks in advance!

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the ones without the "D" prefix are the slightly older models. I also think this is the case with the c-cells, as I have older ones without the "C" prefix, and a newer one with it. I heard somewhere (here on CPF?) that the newer ones have a slightly different switch. This is all based on what I THINK I remember hearing, so I could be wrong.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
The old C and D mag lights have a different switch design and a different tube design. The tube of the old lights are thin walled where the head screws onto the body. The old D lights have a larger diameter body tube than the new ones. The old C lights have the head-body O-ring captured in the head, instead of on the body. The switch for both old style lights loads from the front, and sits on a machined ridge, and have a ring-nut the screws into the body from the front that holds the switch in (along with the switch set screw).

The new style lights have a switch that loads from the rear. There is a compression ring in the light body at the front of the switch that keeps it from moving forward, and the set screw through the switch that keeps the switch assembly in place.

Old style lights simply have a serial number. New style lights have a serial number prefixed with XY, where X=C,D indicating the battery type, and Y=2,3,4,5,6 indicating the number of cells the light takes.