Runners - Recommend a running jacket

markr6

Flashaholic
I run outside all year and I want to try something different this winter. My current Sugoi jacket is really nice, but it's basically like wrapping myself with a plastic trash bag. They call it breathable, which is a joke, plus it doesn't have pit zips.

I wear a long sleeve shirt down to 35°F or so, then out comes the jacket. I think breathability is #1 for me. #2 is wind blocking. I could care less about getting wet from rain, who doesn't sweat when running anyway? Besides, I'm just going straight home to get a shower afterwards.

Let me know if you have something you love running in when it's cold.

carrot

Flashaholic
I don't run, but I commute by bike so I have a general idea of what works in high exertion in cold weather.

For me, there are a few jackets I really like for this: the Patagonia Houdini, the Westcomb Crest Hoody, the Arcteryx Accelero and the Marmot DriClime.

The Patagonia Houdini might be a bit too much like your Sugoi for your preferences -- gossamer thin, siliconized nylon which breathes but functions better to block wind and rain. It's super packable and more weather resistant than the others which is why I prefer it for my uses but yours will probably prefer the more breathable ones below.

Both the Crest and Accelero are made of super thin stretch woven material so they move with your body while fitting trim and breathe well. They block the wind excellently, resist water and rain, and yet wick moisture out of the inside easily to keep you comfortable even when you are working hard. There is no membrane (as in some other wind-blocking jackets) to prevent moisture transfer to the outside. The Crest is a little bit thinner and has a hood whereas the Accelero is a little bit burlier and comes optionally without. Both are phenomenal but if you hate having cold wrists the Accelero's incredibly well-designed stretch wrist cuffs will keep that cold air off your wrists and out of your sleeves.

These first three jackets are simply super thin shells meant to keep the wind off you and your core warm by blocking the wind from taking away the layer of heat that builds up close to your skin.

When it's really cold out the Marmot DriClime Windshirt is where it's at. It's a light, wind-blocking nylon shell lined with a very lightweight wicking fleece. On the surface this seems like a pretty ordinary jacket of pretty ordinary fabrics but the magic is in the specific fabrics themselves and the execution of a brilliant idea. The light fleece is soft and cozy against your skin so never feels gross and clammy and lets perspiration pass straight through. When you sweat that moisture is passed and spread across the thin nylon shell which both serves to block the wind and spread out the moisture so that it can evaporate readily. This results in a garment that is light and thin, while still being plenty warm for high exertion activities and prevents you from getting chilled in cold winds. There's a great review of the DriClime over on OGL: http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Wind-Breaker-Jacket-Reviews/Marmot-DriClime-Windshirt