Fenix E25 Side Switch went poof

Blackbeard

Enlightened
Was using the light and it was laying on a desk, heard a poof and found side switch had popped out. Had duraloops in it, checked voltages and they were off by a bit so I'm assuming one battery vented/reversed.

So its impossible to get the switch boot back in so I tried to get pcb out, to put the switch cap from the inside, but wires tore off and now I have a pile of parts :(

So much for the warranty, If anyone wants the parts, PM me

Also had my olight M30 MCE die a few days ago, also still under warranty, not a good week for my collection

Don't think I'll be getting any more 2xAA lights, cause I have had puffy caps on a Quark X and an LD20 in the past. Can this be avoided with a better charger for the batteries? I've been using the standard Sanyo one for years.

Last edited:

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm... Well I'll say that I've never had any venting issues EVER with eneloops. I think maybe they could eventually if you literally use them all the time for years and years, but overall they seem to be the best out there in my opinion. I had a venting issue with crappy old energizer NiMh batteries once that caused the tail-cap to balloon.

I gifted my dad an E25 and it's the one "good" light he owns now. I think this x-mas I'll buy him a LaCross bc-700 charger and a set of eneloops.

I wouldn't just stay away from 2aa light just because of this. Overall with good batteries it's not that common in my opinion. The 2aa format is still so awesome. I really want to get an LD22 xp-g2. I'll probably wait again though until the inevitable upgrade of the LD22 line to the next led bin.

----------->>>

Side note. If Fenix puts an xp-e2 into the LD25 it might make it a better light than the current LD22 xp-g2 in my opinion, or at least on par. It already has crazy throw for such a small light, tailstands, and is VERY user friendly. The single electronic switch should last most people years and years if this issue that you experienced doesn't happen often.

Blackbeard

Enlightened
Has happened to me at least 4 times, all with eneloops or duraloops, fortunately this is the only ruined flashlight and it was also the cheapest.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow... Also never heard of an Eneloop venting before. I've had the dread battery fart/balloned tailcap vampire testing 2xAA Alks though.

Get a 1xAA tube for your Quark X and run 14500s (carry a spare for runtime, if necessary)

inspirit

Newly Enlightened
choose quality brand AA cells and you could contact Fenix for warranty service.

Blackbeard

Enlightened
Wow... Also never heard of an Eneloop venting before. I've had the dread battery fart/balloned tailcap vampire testing 2xAA Alks though.

Get a 1xAA tube for your Quark X and run 14500s (carry a spare for runtime, if necessary)

I sold the quark, was too floody for me, still have my trusty ld20 and a 47's mini are my only 2xAA lights, but I'm looking into a better charger.
Each time this has happened the neg side of the battery becomes slightly bowed and wobbles when stood up

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
On second thought perhaps perhaps you'd better stay away from Li-ions anyway- if you can repeatedly get Eneloops to vent, even a singe cell Li-ion might not be such a great idea. ;-)

Blackbeard

Enlightened
Never has a problem with a li-ion, I'm not a newbie. there are many threads talking about Nimh venting, just cause it never happened to you, you assume its my fault? good one

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
My apologies, just my sorry attempt at humor...I'd probably pop a few Eneloops myself, but I'm a small single-cell EDC user.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's happened to you on 4 separate occasions with different cells? Makes me wonder if it is your charger... Is it a cheap unregulated charger that doesn't actively give info on the batteries and prevent overcharging/etc. ?

I'd definitely get something like a LaCrosse BC-700. They are only 35 dollars or so now (down from 45-50 they used to be I think) on Amazon. I use two side by side.

Blackbeard

Enlightened
I just use the sanyo charger that requires 2 cells at a time, never really checked voltages hot off the charger, but with the loss of this light I'll be more careful, will probably scoop up the lacrosse soon, still it would be nice if manufacturers could add a check valve/vent that could still maintain water resistance and be able to exhaust the gas without damaging light.

larcal

Newly Enlightened
I had a pretty new eneloop vent on me wile back, charged on a maha 9000 and the tailcap ballooned but survived. Can't remember if was an ld20 or 22 but end switches, cap easy to replace, side switches not so much.