Is there a cure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wombat

Newly Enlightened
I think I may be going down with flashaholism. I needed a small torch and just about anything would have done. I then discovered the ARC LS, thought up lots of reasons why a cheap plastic torch would be the more sensible choice, then snapped and bought the LS anyway. I'm a real sucker for quality engineering and everything I've read about the Arc says that's what it is. I hope to have it this week and see for myself.

B@rt

Flashaholic
Hi wombat,
fc3d9dd8.gif

prepare to be sucked in flashaholism...
Enjoy the ride! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif You will learn about a lot more great lights ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Wombat, lucky for you I saw your post. Yea, your going down...but, if you follow my instructions quick, there is hope. When the light comes don`t open it, what ever you do. Just...mail it to my home and I will send you, for free, a sensible light. Yep, your lucky day...thats for sure!

Welcome!

Ken

Mattman

Enlightened
Yup, just send that LS to any of us. I've got a cheap little pen light that will cure that flashaholism in an instant. It may not turn on the first time, but keep trying! After enough frustration with trying to get it to light, the poor beam quality will make you swear off flashlights forever! As soon as I get your LS, I'll send that thing off to you and your flashaholism will be cured! No need to thank me, it's all in a day's work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
wombat,
Welcome to CPF!
You are going to love your ARC LS. I'm sure you'll see it was money well spent. Ya done good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

nexro

Enlightened
I wished I had a cure too!
Ever since I found out about CPF, I have been spending just too much money /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Now, I am almost broke... yet I still want the Arc LSL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

stockwiz

Enlightened
I've learned that the best thing to do when dealing with an addiction of this sort is go for the top quality right away, instead of trying to buy one cheaper light here, one cheaper light there, until you've ended up spending as much as one good light would have been. When you get that arc LSH in the mail, you'll thank yourself you went with it instead of going down the cheaper path.

Likebright

Enlightened
About four months ago I was in your shoes.
1 ARK light and I was hooked.
Now I am a drooling flashaholic hopelessly starring at my monitor for more lights to buy.
Enjoy the trip.
Mike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fortunately for you, I also have a cure. Send me the Arc LS, and I will, in turn, send you a broken, yet still usable, rubber flashlight, 2 AA batteries, PR base bulb, and a wonderfully horrid and sickly dim yellow beam. You may wonder where it is you're actually stepping, when you take it walking some night, but your long road of expense and upset significant other will be a mute point and my flashlight will well be worth it.

Listen to my story. I was once like you. Totally FINE with what the local Wal-Mart store had to offer. I had a nice Maglite 2D flashlight, a Dorcy lantern light, and a few others. I wanted a light to carry in my pocket, and one day I saw, while at Wal-Mart, some 2AAA UK pocket lights. It was a super little light. Then I ended up finding this place online. Now my 2AAA UK light has been replaced with an Arc AAA and an Arc LS. And my Maglight has been modified with an LED. It hasn't been cheap. Sure, it now puts out a white and much brighter beam, but at what cost? It Didn't stop there. A Blaster III here, a Madmax drop in there, countless number of Luxeon LEDs purchased, . . . . . . . . . . I can't go on. . . . .

Look, just send me your Arc LS, . . QUICKLY , . . while you still can! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

stockwiz

Enlightened
What you need is one of them Everready plastic flashlights that takes 2 D batteries that project a dim yet still very usable beam that will last you 20 very exciting minutes. If you drop the flashlight the head pops off and batteries go flying, and if you are really unlucky, the bulb breaks, but why would you drop a flashlight anyways? Send me that Arc, and I'll send you this plastic beauty.

wombat

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies. I'm especially touched by those of you that offered to help out by generously taking my Arc LS off my hands. It's rare to find such selflessness My faith in humanity is restored. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Later all

djpark

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
stockwiz said:
I've learned that the best thing to do when dealing with an addiction of this sort is go for the top quality right away, instead of trying to buy one cheaper light here, one cheaper light there, until you've ended up spending as much as one good light would have been. When you get that arc LSH in the mail, you'll thank yourself you went with it instead of going down the cheaper path.

[/ QUOTE ]

The truth is that it does not cure, my friend.

I took the approach hoping the LSH-P and all other goodies in the Taste of ARC Pack 1 would cure the desire, but it only added more intense desire to have better one.

I looked at the LSH-P, AA and AAA, I just wish to have one light of AAA size (or at least AA) with LSH beam (or at least half).

Perhaps, it is time to start thinking of some mods...

Then there is another problem. They are all so beatiful lights and I don't want to hurt them and change in any form. I thought of mod on the cheaper Infinity (yah, step son, sort of), but what if it turns out to be too beatiful beam, then how am I going to carry around the ugly tube with me?

Confusion, more confusion... Is there a cure for this kind, too?

stockwiz

Enlightened
Yeah, you gotta have one really bright, big one to impress the relatives with. I purchased a modified maglight on ebay that takes 6 "c" sized batteries and is extremely bright. The 5 watt luxeon in the thing is about the whitest light I've ever seen. The reflector used provides excellent throw, as well. It's more my "what was that noise" light that will light up the entire room and could also be used as a blunt object if necessary. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I doubt I'm done purchasing modified maglights, however. I've seen the mods that take 12 AA batteries... those look rather appealing. I'm a sucker for a bright, room filling light.

That's one reason I wish Arc would use luxeon 3's in future designs and aim for more brightness. I unsure whether I'll purchase the Arc L4 (or L5) unless it puts out at least 40, preferably closer to 50 or more lumens on the standard setting. It's a big investment to make in a flashlight for the price. It's like those who own both the Arc LSH and an LSH with the fraen optic... such a big price investment for such a small difference between the two lights. I guess that is true flashoholism, something I haven't achieved yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I understand what you are saying about the addiction, but I plan to avoid redundancy and only see myself buying a few... perhaps 3 or 4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif top quality flashlights ... the arc LS fills one of these lights... a moderately bright general use one watt luxeon light with good spill... my next one has to have a luxeon 3 or 5 in it and significantly more output in lumens then the Arc LS.. perhaps a surefire L4 would fill this void, or perhaps I'll wait and see how bright the Arc LS4 is. Down the road a year when they perfect the 5 watt luxeons and improve upon existing designs I hope to see newer, brighter models come down the pipeline.

I say this now, but I bet I start buying like nuts when I get more into this.

srue

Newly Enlightened
stockwiz,
You might want to wait for the LS5. It should be significantly brighter than the LS4 (and of course the LSH), and only a little bit bigger. It should use a 3 or 5 watt Luxeon Star and 2x123 power pack. There is a pittance of information about it in this thread.
Of course, it will be a while before it comes out: Fall 2004 by the most recent estimation.

Status
Not open for further replies.