McGizmo AquaRam XML2 - a mini-review - includes beam shots!

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps I've been bored…or maybe the evolution of flashaholism has left me with less energy and enthusiasm to review lights.

But then Don McLeish – "Mr. McGizmo" - comes out with a new light.

At first I wasn't really interested. I am so happy with my 2 High CRI Haikus and my High CRI mule that I didn't really want another light. PLUS, I prefer clicky switches to twisties.

But when so many highly respected members rave over something…when my friend Scout24 endorses something…maybe I'd better take a look.

So fresh from Hawaii arrived a beautiful half-pound chunk of titanium – known as the AquaRam.

Much has been said about this light already, and you can find plenty of details about the light and the driver HERE and HERE. In short, it is a titanium dive light with an XML2 emitter driven by a new, custom driver from one of our CPF members (in Germany), "rush." Twisty operation – comes with 4 levels, last mode memory, and activation and mode switching by way of a small twist (or series of twists) of the head.

So let's focus on what is so appealing to me about the light.

It's a McGizmo
It's titanium
It's the brightest light Don has ever made (I think?)
It's bombproof
It's waterproof (after all, it's a diving light!)
It feels great in the hand
It has a programmable driver
Oh, did I mention? It's a McGizmo.

Don posts his measurements for output with the stock settings – my home made integrating sphere concurs with all of Don's ratings – you can find them in the AquaRam thread.

What's amazing is the WAY the light throws the photons downrange. Don has shaped the beam so that it has a very nice spot with lots of spill – typically challenging for an XML emitter in a medium to small sized reflector. Even within just an inch from a white wall, there is never a 'hole' in the hot spot. For walking my pup I find that levels 2 and 3 are plenty – level 4 brings a smile and lights up stuff "far, far away." Level 4 is driven at 1400 mA, but the driver can be set all the way up to 2200mA. I have not reprogrammed my light, but if and when I do I will report back with the updated lumen readings.

Everyone loves beam shots, right?

The storage shed in my back yard is around 140 feet away in this photo. I am using a Canon wide-angle lens (10-22), set to the highest zoom level (22mm) of the lens. For a few tasty beam shots I am using a High CRI Haiku with 119V emitter, a Surefire E2DL Ultra, a Surefire C2 with an EDC+ triple 219, and of course the AquaRam – set on stock levels 1-4.

Daylight control - the 'blob' in the foreground is Heidi, my 10 year old Sheltie pup - the beneficiary of these cool 'walking lights.' And yes, that's 'new' sod - I had my yard landscaped (and a cool irrigation system installed) about a month ago...

Night time - a bit of light pollution

Here's my FAVORITE EDC, the Haiku high CRI with 119V (Don's nomenclature) on HIGH. The color rendition from this light is just extraordinary. That IS the color of my storage building's roof!

Here's another high CRI light - an Oveready/Surefire C2 with an Illumination Supply/EDC+ Triple 219

Here's my go to thrower - a Surefire E2DL Ultra. Pretty impressive, albeit a bit 'green'.

Now the subject of our mini-review - the AquaRam on low (sorry for the light pollution - my wife turned on the bedroom light!)

Level 2

Level 3

Level 4

Here's an animated GIF of the previous photos:
528b5ef59577e848475890.gif

A few photos - Don has many gorgeous photos posted on his thread, but I thought I'd share a few of my own

Beefy tail

Emitter on low...

Close up of the driver - just below center is the jumper that you fill with solder should you wish to activate custom programming

Thick titanium walls...

My McGizmo family Left to Right - high CRI Mule (119V emitter), AA High CRI Haiku (119V emitter), AquaRam, high CRI Haiku (119V emitter)

Side by side - Mule, Haiku, AA Haiku, AquaRam

The light is so comfortable – so bullet proof – such a chunk. Don has created another instant classic, and I feel privileged to own one!

So there you go - a mini-photo review. Do yourself a favor and click the link to visit the product thread over in the McGizmo sub forum! Thanks Don, for another instant classic!

Last edited:

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
great review. I am glad I had bought one on the others praises too.
Those beam shots show exactly what I see on my end of the light too. It is fun lighting up the soccer pitch while walking my dog.
Walking the dog is a good excuse to play with my lights at the same time.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Great write up Dan!! Trust me, you need an AquaMule, it is so beefy man. And the flood is ridiculous.

Is that a Cook lofted barn shed?

I got a 12'x20' lofted barn with garage door package a few months ago and LOVE it!! ;)

Sorry for the OT lol.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol. Graceland barn shed, 10x16. Has 2 lofts. Was delivered in one piece - built like a tank. One of my many home place improvements made when when we moved back home to Bama.

Yes, I'd love a mule but that's outta reach for now!!

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks almost as smooth as TCR10!

:thumbsup:

coloradogps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review, Dan.

The AquaRam is one of my favorite lights.

I'm glad to see this review. Don has another winner here.

scout24

Flashaholic
Hi Dan! :) Your uses are so similar to mine, and your recommendations have cost me a few dollars over time as well... I'm glad you post these reviews "over here" instead of Don's subforum. More folks need to take a look at them. Nicely done on the pics! As PSM said, it even rides relatively well in the pocket with one of the flats opposite from the clip. Never mind the substantial grooves on the body: should be perfect with gloves up here in the northeast when it gets cold soon. One of the times I prefer twisties... :thumbsup:

Last edited:

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the great mini review and, especially, the beam shots. I agree - a really great beam from a relatively small head. McMagic for sure. The AquaRam is my official winter light because it is easy to use with gloves and it feels great in my coat pocket. I'm sure I'll find a reason why the AquaRam should be my official spring and summer light. And it is only a matter of time until I fall for the AquaMule.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review, now get out and water that turf before its too late!! :)

No worries! Rained all weekend, PLUS I have an irrigation system, PLUS we've had multiple sub-freezing nights so the turf has gone dormant for the winter...

;)

Thanks, all, for the nice comments. I really would like to have a mule, but that won't happen until next year (if it happens at all.) :devil: :whistle:

Oh, I took this poor quality photo last night when out walking Heidi the wonder dog...light is on level 3 - looking out across the road and into the adjacent field
ta5yqa5e.jpg

Last edited: