Looks like Maglite is trying to catch up the game

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bet it will be $100.00

Considering that they already want $60-$70 for their CR123 powered Magtacs, I would say they probably want AT LEAST $100 for this light. On the other hand, their choice of a LiFePO4 battery is an interesting one.

davesc

Newly Enlightened
I think I would want a battery you can take out and recharge separately. What good is a light when the battery runs down and you have to take the whole light out of service until it gets recharged? With loose batteries...pop the dead batteries out...and pop in recharged ones, (or new ones)...and get on with life. I would want a light to work when and as long as I needed it...especially in a disaster or crisis. That's why I have rechargables, spares, and a charger.

Bad thinking on their part...unless I am wrong and the battery can be swapped out...

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
. On the other hand, their choice of a LiFePO4 battery is an interesting one.

imo, it is very logical. LiFePO4 tolarate abuse better than li ion, and do well in cold. kinda like modern nicd. could be us made as well.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
imo, it is very logical. LiFePO4 tolarate abuse better than li ion, and do well in cold. kinda like modern nicd. could be us made as well.

No doubt, the constant voltage characteristics and safety profile of LiFePO4 also mean that regulation is simplified (or not needed) and low/high voltage protection is not needed. And although LiFePO4 behaves more like Nicad/NiMH than LiCo/LiMn in many ways, it also uses the MUCH simpler charging algorithms characteristic of other li-ion batteries. All of these things would certainly help cut costs.

On the other hand, I agree that the battery should be replaceable. As stated above, a non replaceable battery would mean that the light would become a useless brick in the field when the battery is drained. And, although LiFePO4 is one of the longest lived batteries out there in terms of both calendar and cycle life, it will eventually go dead. Hopefully, Mag has chosen to go with a replaceable RCR123 or 18650.

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
seems to be a direct swap to where a Mag-charger is still in use?

No illuminated baton anymore, but all the other capabilities are covered

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not really a consumers light imo but ideal for a work environment where two three or more are at hand to who ever needs a light.probably ideal for factories,police,security etc but the lack of not being able to replace a battery makes it a dead duck for my use.

Maglite need to up there game to catch up as the Chinese lights are light years ahead and many Chinese lights that/have been discontinued are better than many Maglites.