need opinions about expectations from a dealer.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will be opening my store soon. tonight or Tuesday depending on how much I can get written on the webpage today. The order section is done but it looks really plain and I need to put up product description.

Here is my question. I suspect that I will run out of inventory fairly quickly. The site is set up so that it will refuse orders when inventory for a particular item drops to zero. I am going to place another order tonight for product and was told that the order could be here by the end of the week.

What is the expectation for ship times when ordering from a dealer???? Should I turn off the inventory counter and let this go into back order???????

As time passes, I will keep plenty of stock on hand to not go into backorder but right now I do not know how big sales will be so at first there is a risk. I can prevent going into backorder but I wonder if that is a needed step at this point.

Do I sell what I have and then update inventory when the next shippment arrives by friday? Or do I just sell what I have then ship them as they arrive until I get inventories built up.

I really do want your opinons please.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: need opinions about expectations from a dealer

Shipping times. More important to me than "how long," is whether I have a good estimate. I'd rather be accurately told it'll take a week than to be told it'll be a few days and then have to wait beyond that time. I think if you're open with your customers, they'll forgive a lot.

Regarding back orders. Sometimes I don't want that. Sometimes I do. It would be really great if the customer would have a choice as to what to do about such items.

Good luck, Jon.

Paul

Mark_Larson

Enlightened

Set up a www.resellerratings.com account and encourage people to write reviews about you.

Read Newegg's reviews and there you have it - what people like. Fast service, open and friendly customer support, and low prices.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast

IMHO,

When Internet shopping I try to use places that have good reputations first and foremost. I will continue using the same places even if they are a couple of dollars more expensive than everybody else. I will not back order, I will simply keep going back to "my" stores and order when the item becomes available. I might even call to confirm they are really out. Sometimes the webpage says they are out, but it's not. This just happened with my last order from Brightguy. The item was in stock so I ordered via phone. Many people will not do that, they will surf around because they become impatient.

I am with PaulW on shipping. Just be honest with me on when I can expect delivery and (if possible) give me a way to track it online and I'm a happy guy.

Mike

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree with Paul W. Make sure people are aware of the delay, and let them order knowing this.

Bill.H

Enlightened

Ayup. me too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

In stock items should ship within 8-10 business hours if possible.
Customers should be told in advance, when possible, how long it will take to get B/O items, and if something is in-stock or not.
A published returns policy is important.
Online order status is always nice.

Communication! "We rec'd your order and expect to ship it on ____". "Your order was shipped today via xxx service."
Include tracking #'s on expensive items.

I'll probably think of a bunch more after I post this.

richpalm

Banned

I for one quit as soon as I see 'backordered'. I will usually go to another source then or just wait. But I want the option to choose.

Also up to date stock status and email updates with tracking #'s. Online order status.

The most important for this no-patience flashaholic: fast shipping and a *choice* of shippers. (I do *not* use UPS under any circumstances whatsoever.)

The other is complete honesty. If I go on a wild goose chase to someone that says it is in stock and it's not, that's the end of me dealing with that outfit... forever! (just went thru that-went all the way to a store who outright lied to me)

Hope this helps-good luck! Pila makes a nice light.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

I plan on shipping 5 days a week. Thanks for all for your opinions. I will be totally honest with all out here. I am conserned about running out of stock fast at first but I know this will stabalize once I get inventory built up.

I know that CPF will at first be my customer base and I know a reputation can get damaged out here so I will do everything I can to protect it.

Thanks, and I can't wait to start selling.

Well I better get back to working on the webpage.

paulr

Flashaholic

Just say straightforwardly whether the item is in stock and let the buyer decide whether to backorder out-of-stock items.

It occurs to me re the Pila cells, once you get your volume up a little bit, maybe you can buy those cells in bulk from cell vendors. I don't know what you'd have to do to get the button tops put on.

If you want some graphics help, I know a very good designer/illustrator who can make your site look really top notch at lower rates than you might expect. PM me if you want her URL.

Best of luck with your venture.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am buying the cells in bulk...but it takes alot of money to get stocks up to where I think they are sufficient. I have no idea how well or poor these will sell but I think they will go fast at first then taper off. I want to eventually keep a months supply of these on hand at all times but I right now do not have a clue as to how many that is.