Shortest RCR123a?

roderic41

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody,

I have a three cell Elzetta body. It is a little short I think. I use 3 AW RCR123a's and they are too long. Even three Battery Station primaries are. I have the clicky tailcap and the rotary. This was mentioned in

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...lzetta-The-industry-s-best-kept-secret/page11 post number 310 and I have the same issue.

The batteries are longer than the tube. This does not occur in my Elzetta 2 cell body.

The rotary allows more room that the clicky but still too tight and will damage the tailcap spring in the long run I fear..

I want to purchase the new high output head and to get the most out of it I need to use 3 RCR123a's so no 17500's.

So, my question is what would be the shortest good quality rechargeable RCR123a?

Thanks, Rod.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will get full output out of the High Output head with 3xCR123a cells. Using 3xRCR123a stands a good chance of making it go :poof: or at least shortening its life span due to their higher voltage. Elzetta specifically recommends against using rechargeable batteries in their lights.

The batteries do protrude farther out of the Charlie body than they do on the Bravo but it still works fine with Battery Station, SureFire, Streamlight, or Pansonic CR123a cells (or any other quality cells you can think of). In my experience 2x17500 AW Li-Ion (which would provide close to the correct voltage) are too long. They can be made to work somewhat by loosening the head but there can be contact issues and I prefer not to deal with that.

If you're set on using rechargeable cells, you should take a look at the LFP123a cells such as those from K2 Energy or Tenergy. They have somewhat less capacity than the AW RCR123 Li-Ion cells but they operate at a slightly lower voltage that should be within the operating range of the High Output Head when using 3 cells.

Last edited: