Short review - Keeppower 3V RCR123A

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
These cells are pretty intriguing so I picked up a pair recently. They only fit a handful of my 123 lights. P60's work fine as do single cell e series with springs on both ends. Sadly they're too long to work in a two cell e series.

I was very pleased that they worked in a streamlight protac 1L-1AA. I just finished a rough runtime test with the streamlight and the results were great. Around 40 minutes of full output, then a slight step down and 12 more minutes of bright runtime before shut off. To me this is much better than the 1.5hr runtime on high that begins tapering down immediately with a cr123. These cells seem like a great option and I really like them. I only wish they didn't have a usb port so they could be shorter and have a wider range of compatibility.

Last edited:

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
I tried a p60 with these cells and got 40 minutes of regulated output, then it abruptly dropped to 10 lumens (give or take) and lasted 5 minutes. After it drops the brightness is still quite useful but you have absolutely no warning when it happens.

The C2 I was using got very warm bordering hot during the test and I blew on it to keep cool since I didn't have a fan readily available. I am really pleased with the performance of these rcr123's. They are a great option if you want to stick with original surefire lamps. More spring resistance is noticeable because of the extra length of the cells. There is less spring resistance in the c2 and 6p original than the laser products 6p classic which is a little shorter.

rrego

Enlightened
Picked up two sets of these, originally planning to run them with xenon lamps, but blew two back to back.

Turned out they only fit my P2X Fury Intellibeam (did not fit my other LED 2 x cr123 Surefires. These batteries gave me 52 minutes of runtime before protection circuit kicked in.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
'If they don't fit, you must not acquit.'

Fitment issues are a thing!

If they do fit, then they should be fine for lights that take two CR123As, otherwise, 16650s for the win!

Chris

rrego

Enlightened
'If they don't fit, you must not acquit.'

Fitment issues are a thing!

If they do fit, then they should be fine for lights that take two CR123As, otherwise, 16650s for the win!

Chris
I hear ya on the 16650s, however 16650s in the Surefire P2X Fury Intellibeam suck and give lower output and dwindles pretty quick. The KeepPower RCR 3 volt batteries in that same light worked much better than I expected and will use them there now.

texsian

Newly Enlightened
i own this batteries and so far the kp 3.0v works great, thanks for input owen. 🙂

texsian

Newly Enlightened
You will get 3.0 volts open circuit (no load)
Under load of 1.2A, voltage will drop to about 2.5 volt and not a good replacement for higher loads.
when i said 3.0v i meant P1634U1 3V, sorry about the confusion, and yes i only used this for small lower amp light's such as incans, as this are only rated to 1.5amps, as to what effects it will give the incans im not too sure since i haven't used them enough, been only using it for a minute or two here and there and so far they've been great to me.

fulee9999

Enlightened
this cell sounds amazing, I've ordered a set and a set of the AA sized ( P1450U1 ) one as well

ledbetter

Enlightened
I like the cells for obvious reasons but have a couple of issues. There seems to be some parasitic drain and there's no way to measure how much or the cell's current voltage level. Just use it til it shuts off or keep it fully charged all the time. I much prefer li-ion 3.7v where I know exactly what's going on.

texsian

Newly Enlightened
I like the cells for obvious reasons but have a couple of issues. There seems to be some parasitic drain and there's no way to measure how much or the cell's current voltage level. Just use it til it shuts off or keep it fully charged all the time. I much prefer li-ion 3.7v where I know exactly what's going on.
i have noticed this on a few kp, so me and my friend did a test to make sure, we charged couple of KP 16340 and 14500 and half would be left behind inside the light and the other set would be set aside on it's original container and we did few weeks of testing and we got great results, so i guess from time to time their might be glich or a defect unit?, but so far it's been a great.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
I've started using these rcr's in my edcl1-t and e1d that I like to carry as backup lights. Both run full blast for about 45 minutes before complete shut down. The abrupt shut off is not ideal, but I am starting to realize some benefits the rcr's have over a 123. I can use it for 5 minutes a day or however long and top off the rcr and always have a fresh battery in my backup light instead of a slowly dwindling 123. I'm still a firm believer in 123 cells but the 3v rcr is such a nice option to have.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
... I can use it for 5 minutes a day or however long and top off the rcr and always have a fresh battery in my backup light instead of a slowly dwindling 123...

In my case, this is perhaps the key advantage, operating cost aside, to using 123 secondary alternatives - such as my LFP123s, and these as well. Always know what run time you're walking out the door with, without the unknown of partially discharged 123(s), or 'wasting' some by premature disposal. I'll probably also check out the cells you're using just for the heck of it - in part because of your feedback, thank you. It's always good to have options, and these offer USB charging as well, which can be an asset when on the road sometimes.

Last edited:

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
In my case, this is perhaps the key advantage, operating cost aside, to using 123 secondary alternatives - such as my LFP123s, and these as well. Always know what run time you're walking out the door with, without the unknown of partially discharged 123(s), or 'wasting' some by premature disposal. I'll probably also check out the cells you're using just for the heck of it - in part because of your feedback, thank you. It's always good to have options, and these offer USB charging as well, which can be an asset when on the road sometimes.

Glad to be of help. Please keep in mind the 3v rcr's are very long and won't fit in many lights. It mostly seems to fit lights that have a spring on the head and tail ends and only take one battery.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not aware of Keepower having 3V-rated RCRs in its lineup. However, Keepower has a reputation of slightly elongated battery sizes due to its doubtful wrapping (esp. with the protected ones). Such small increase of overall length will pose big problems with certain flashlight models. And as such, the Keepower RCR is not recommended.