Why not go for the better?

Stridebeam

Newly Enlightened
So it must be, because Im new to collecting flashlights or something. But, I cannot think of one reason to ever buy a flashlight that is less powerful then the brightest flashlight I can get my hands on for a reasonable amount. My first Flashlight was a Nitecore P25, it was a birthday present from my gf, and from there I was hooked. But I don't see why I would ever collect a flashlight that was dimmer/less bright then that flashlight. Here is where I make my point, of... Why would anyone collect a flashlight that was less powerful then the one that they already have? If I had the money, I would buy a Nitecore TM26, and call it quits till I found something that would be more powerful. But yet I see others getting a 1000 lum flashlight one day. Then the next buying a 200 lum flashlight for just about the same size and not that better of a ratio for the price paid. So, in other words can someone tell me why you would every go back from better?

Skimo

Newly Enlightened
Because it's not all about power.

For many here, you are correct.

Thanks to you guys I'm now noticing tints and beam patterns etc. (grumpy face)

I still prefer brighter lights and I'm sure by the end of the year I'll be looking at an infinitely variable brightness flashlight with USB charging.

I will not become a tint snob, nor will I seek out a perfect beam.

I see power as a moving force for the industry, they see it too, lumens sell lights.

The reasons people buy lights all vary, the basic reason is to see, the snobs / aficionados / nuts look for tint / temp / beam etc because it interests them.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the flashlight world and CPF Stridebeam! :wave:

As long as you continue further with flashlight hobby you will propably realise the many different aspects of a flashlight. Hold comfort, tint, runtime, beam character, design, durability..., it's so much included here. And dependent of the personal priorities and liking, different users value different qualities more or less than others. So go on, but watch the wallet and finish eventual credit cards...

Last edited:

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because anything over 100 lumens is useless for most day to day tasks that require a flashlight. I use my flashlights all the time at home and at work, usually at 150 lumens or less, so I don't need a big flashlight for that.

For walking the dog, I take something bigger and much more powerful. My brightest led flashlight is 1,000 lumens, and I usually use that 1,000 lumens just to make myself giggle at the sheer output. It's still too bright for walking the dog as the glare it creates on the footpath is quite annoying.

Sure, I could sink several hundred bucks into a 3,000+ lumen flashlight, but I'd only end up using the 500ish lumen mode most of the time anyway, and I don't feel the need to impress myself anymore than 1,000 lumens does.

Too many reasonably sized lights with high max modes step down after a few minutes to protect them from cooking. Personally I'd prefer a lower maximum that could be sustained as long as the cell can provide power for.

scout24

Flashaholic
Welcome, Stridebeam! As has been mentioned, Better and Brighter don't always correlate... I would suggest reading a thread started by member Carrot entitled "Brightness isn't everything" for a bit of differing perspective. Google search it in the bar on the upper left of your screen. Different tools for different jobs, etc... :)

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Its a little like shopping for cars by only comparing horsepower, and just buying whatever has the most horsepower w/o worrying about reliability, number of seats or cargo capacity, mpg, off road ability, autocross ability, crash worthiness, etc.

Everyone's needs are different. I could not get through my average day w/o several thousand lumens at the high end. Others can't even IMAGINE needing more than 100 lumens.

I CAN imagine SOME PEOPLE getting through a day with no flashlight at all, or, needing only a fauxton, etc...as that type of use is very common. If you need to find a key in a purse/where you just dropped it, where the hole is, sure....no problemo.

If you go into burned out buildings and need to search warehouses or large areas, a fauxton can't cut it. A floody 100 lumen light can't cut it, nor can a 100 L tight beamed light. If your life involves larger spaces, and the need to see in the dark there, you need a larger light to handle it....or really good low light vision, etc.

It depends on your own life, and what that entails.

The other issue is that lumens are, as horsepower would be, something that can be distributed differently.

300 HP is a lot in a Fiat 500 sized car, and, a bit anemic in a full sized truck that has to pull a 10,000 lb load, etc. Torque might be more important for certain tasks, for example...and, what the tasks are, and the form factor of the vehicle can change what the HP needs to be.

If you had a race, would you want a 300 HP Fiat 500, or, a 300 HP Full Sized Pick up truck?

What if the race was across the Baja Desert? Through a tight autocross course?

Its the same for a light.

Some lights use a lower total output, but project the beam farther than lights with a higher total output.

Sometimes you WANT less throw to GET a flood of light, and, sometimes, you want the opposite. It depends on the task at hand.

If you don't have the light WITH YOU, you can't USE it.

After a certain size/form factor, and that is ALSO different for everyone....you can't practically carry it with you as EDC, its too inconvenient.

If you can carry a lot of/enough spare cells, run time is less of a concern, but, if you just carry the light, and, you might NEED a longer runtime, the runtime becomes VERY important.

If you have a 1,000 L light, and need to see for a long time, that 1,000 L is chewing through your MAH like a swarm of e-termites.

Having a sufficient LOW to allow sufficient lighting for the duration of whatever the disaster/emergency situation caused the issue in the first place, can be a lifesaver....literally.

So, just getting the latest high Lumen wonder light, just because it IS the latest high lumen wonder light, is chasing HP w/o considering anything else.

If you have the disposable income, so it just doesn't matter...you "collect the lights with the most lumens at that moment in time", and that's your hobby, sure.

If you buy tools to do a job, and, when you have a tool that does the job...you keep it, and if its not doing the job as well as you need it to, you replace it with something that does the job better, fine...that's OK too.

If you only have so much money to spend, and you start chasing lumens, you'll go broke. Remember, lumens go up all the time, and what's the highest today, may not be tomorrow.

If you shop by need instead, you can afford to upgrade when it makes sense.

:D

jimboutilier

Enlightened
Brighter isn't always better. As everyone knows, lumens sell and if there are two otherwise identical lights the brighter one would typically outsell the dimmer one. But brightness isn't the only feature people look for in a light.

Attributes like warranty, build quality, size, weight, materiel, battery type, efficiency, beam quality, tint, user interface, color, appearance etc can all matter. Features like pocket clips, lanyard rings, included accessories, controls, modes, brightness levels and spacing etc can all matter. It's neither right or wrong or bad or good that each of these may matter more or less to each individual and even for each purpose. Lets not dismiss the wants or needs of others just because we may not have or understand that same need or want.

I have a lot of "similar" EDC class lights for a lot of different reasons. They each have their pluses and minuses to me and I realize these same lights may have different pluses and minuses to others. Some lights I have primarily for output (big dark dangerous places), others for reliability (emergency kits), others for color accuracy (photography and examination/inspection). Some just as curiosities (some unique feature) or because they were cool (appearance or form factor). It's all good.

RemcoM

Enlightened
I only want flashlights, that have the same and more intensity, and throw, than todays halogen, and HID Xenon carHIGHbeams, because i simply not want lose against them. I want have a handheld lightsource, that does win from carhighbeams. Thats only my interest, and what i prefer.

And with a Fenix TK75, RC40, a Olight X6 Marauder, i yhink i do win it of Carhighbeams, and with a Fenix TK61 on the way, in a month, im a great winner of all carlightsources.

Forget all the crappy flashlights, of 1000 lumens and less, if you want win of carhighbeams, and not want lose it.

Go and buy real lightsabers/flooders/throwers!

And yes, years ago, when my flashlightinterest started, i also began with some 100 lumens crap, but then i was impressed with it, but now with my fenix/Olight monsters, my 100 lumens plus flashlights, looked like dim candles.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because anything over 100 lumens is useless for most day to day tasks that require a flashlight. I use my flashlights all the time at home and at work, usually at 150 lumens or less, so I don't need a big flashlight for that.

+1.

I actually find higher output lights to be detrimental for most of my pedestrian EDC and camping uses. They tend to sacrifice good low-end mode spacing where I spend the vast majority of my runtime.

Then there's that logarithmic light perception thing were it takes exponential increases in lumens for us to perceive linear increases in brightness. Unfortunately, power consumption is proportional to lumens and the battery industry just hasn't kept pace with the LED advances so you end up carrying more bulk and/or specialized batteries (and chargers), which is not a good thing for me when away from home.

All that said, I'm the low lumen junkie around here and guess I just have very good night vision and I'm not particularly fond of charging and changing batts, or lugging spare cells/chargers.

archimedes

Flashaholic
VAybawQ.jpg

:) Because too much light can be as bad (or worse) than too little light ... ?

:welcome:

EDIT - and my post would have been up quicker than yours reppans ... if only it hadn't taken so long to construct that super-detailed and accurate graph (above)

:lolsign:

Cheers buddy !

Last edited:

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
<snip>

Everyone's needs are different. I could not get through my average day w/o several thousand lumens at the high end. Others can't even IMAGINE needing more than 100 lumens.

I CAN imagine SOME PEOPLE getting through a day with no flashlight at all, or, needing only a fauxton, etc...as that type of use is very common. If you need to find a key in a purse/where you just dropped it, where the hole is, sure....no problemo.

If you go into burned out buildings and need to search warehouses or large areas, a fauxton can't cut it. A floody 100 lumen light can't cut it, nor can a 100 L tight beamed light. If your life involves larger spaces, and the need to see in the dark there, you need a larger light to handle it....or really good low light vision, etc.

<snip>

:D

I fully concur! I use the full output range of nearly all of my lights almost every day, be it inside a house or in a back yard or in the woods scanning for what made that screeching sound. About the only neglected lumen level is the 1 lumen level and lower - due to normal old age deterioration in eyesight -> happens to all of us! Yes, the bulk of my tasks tend to employ 100-500 lumens, but I appreciate the 2500+ lumens everytime I am in the woods scanning for something unknown.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
But yet I see others getting a 1000 lum flashlight one day. Then the next buying a 200 lum flashlight for just about the same size and not that better of a ratio for the price paid. So, in other words can someone tell me why you would every go back from better?

So I'm thinking this part is hyperbole, right? I don't think you've ever seen the exact example above, unless you're using the phrase "just about the same size" very loosely. But just speaking more broadly, besides the importance of beam pattern as discussed above, even more to me is the UI. I tend to not ever "get used to" clunky interfaces that don't match my type of flashlight usage, nor do I think I should have to get used to anything, and so even though I'm mostly happy with my current outside carry light TN12, I would happily go buy a light that's 10-20% dimmer and even deal with it being longer *if* it had a tighter beam and better UI. Tighter beam would mean that even though there's less light overall, there's more light in the small area where I want it; better UI means much smoother usage and happier owner.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Runtime has started to be more important to me than max brightness.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Archimedes- Priceless... :)

+1!

Archimedes: Great insight!

Thanks guys .... My graph is drawn from personal experience :devil:

Data points include,

* post count ~0 = ~100 lumen flashlight

* post count ~30 = ~1000 lumen flashlight

* post count ~100 = ~75 lumen flashlight

* post count ~2500 = ~40 lumen flashlight

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Archimedes, your graph is backwards - at least for me! :D

Sorry, the label should read "LED lumens" instead ;)

I did leave out a 4000(++) lumen HID - "data smoothing" I guess :shrug:

Besides, BVH, the output of your torches wouldn't fit on that graph anyway ... :eek:

Last edited:

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys .... My graph is drawn from personal experience :devil:

Data points include,

* post count ~0 = ~100 lumen flashlight

* post count ~30 = ~1000 lumen flashlight

* post count ~100 = ~75 lumen flashlight

* post count ~2500 = ~40 lumen flashlight

At this rate, you'll hit the sublumens in no time. The questions is will the graph ever hit 0 lumens!