Presenting the Georgerandir (WARNING: MANY PICS)

LukeK

Enlightened
Hello folks. Recently I've been working on a little project. I've always wanted a decent camping light, and since the advent of the uFlex by George, I've been collecting parts to build one. I had Rothrandir (Or Frothy as he is otherwise known) machine a flashlight head/heatsink for me and I think it turned out beautifully. The basic specs are as follows:

3W TWAK and LP Fraen From Elektrolumens
Head Machined by Frothy
5w uFlex from George
Loc-Line and McFlood from The Sandwich Shoppe
Loc-Line 1/4 NPT End Piece from Berkely Point
Power Adapter, Power Connectors, Project Box and Battery Holder from Radio Shack
Custom cut Double sided Polycarbonate lens from Flashlightlens.com

It has an easily swappable power source, as you can see from the pictures below. Thanks to George's circuit I can plug a Wall wort, a group of batteries or a car power adapter into the light and it will run perfectly off of each. The optics are also swappable, which is very handy.

The project turned out really well in my opinion. The following are a few pictures I took during the entire process.

Here, of course, is George's fabulous uFlex circuit:
fa528383.jpg

The Project Box with the power connector and the momentary switch:
fa528389.jpg

The following shows the box with the loc-line installed and wires soldered to the switch and the power connector:
fa528385.jpg

The following shows the head frothy machined and the LED all glued in. The red is, of course, nail polish.
fa52837c.jpg

As you can see the holes I drilled in the lens came out very well. No cracking and no extra mess. Very nice. I took this picture before I cut off the 4-40 bolts with the dremel.
fa528378.jpg

Here is the finished head with everything soldered up. In this picture I have the LP Fraen installed. The optics aren't as easily swapped as a regular flashlight but I rather like the open look it has.
fa528381.jpg

Here is the finished project, in all its glory:
fa52837e.jpg

Whaddya think?

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks really nice. I bet it's really functional too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

So is your switch a noisy one or a soft one? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif lol, I think I spend too much time at Radio Shack. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
wow, that turned out nice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

that is REALLLL NICE /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

good job son /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Presenting the Georgerandir (WARNING: MANY PIC

Cool Lukester /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif How deep is the actual heatsink?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

The open optic look reminds me of those high end decorator lights. Very different and nice.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

hotflash, if i recall correctly, it's somewhere along the lines of .6inches from where the back of the emitter goes to where the end of the locline hole is.

the whole head is a heatsink though, one giant heatsink /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

0.6in = 15.24mm thick. "That's plenty thick"!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Yeah, the whole head is just a big h'sinker!

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*

LukeK,
Very nice light! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I also like the open head look. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Just make sure that the optic doesn't bear down on the LS too much. The Fraen LP shouldn't be a problem, as it bears on the black plastic case, not the dome like the NX-05, but just a word of caution. Great use of the uFlex. That circuit quietly came to be, and I like to hear it is getting some use.

I have something in the early stages that is very similar in function, yet fundamentally quite different. I will be out of town for Christmas starting next week, so it won't be done till sometime mid-January best as I can figure. Stay tuned for that one, I promise it'll be cool!

Aaron,
That switch looks like one of the soft-touch ones like I used in my lantern mod awhile back.

jtice

Flashaholic

That really turned out nice!

I also like that open optic look.
This really looks usable and functional.
You did a great job.

Mutie

Enlightened

Very nice. That is exactly along the lines of what I've been wanting to do for LED antenna.

Looks pretty similar to the Stalklight too.

So what are the chances of getting a couple of these done with RB 5w's? Or should I wait on the stalklight?

Mutech

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Mutiny Sfears said:
Looks pretty similar to the Stalklight too.

So what are the chances of getting a couple of these done with RB 5w's? Or should I wait on the stalklight?

Mutech

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I just received 100 head/base units from the machine shop - FINALLY! I'm waiting on some o-rings that hopefully will turn up today. I have the locline already and of course uFlexes. So, by next week I should be selling Stalklights. I'll post a separate Stalklight thread over the w/end hopefully - rather than totally hijack this thread.

p.s. Nice light - how do you like the uFlex features. I still get a kick out of being able to change the brightness level of a Luxeon, turn it off, later turn it back on and have it remember the light level /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Darell

Flashaholic

Slick Luke!

As for your question George - I don't really like my....uh 25 uFlexes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LukeK

Enlightened

Thanks for the comments guys. Mutiny -- I'd be open to building you a couple if you want. I'm not sure how the price of mine would compare to the stalklight but they are of course different lights. The stalklight has a closed head and mine is open etc. I'll post more about this later but if I were to build you one it would easily total 100+ bucks...

LukeK

Enlightened

George: How do I like the uFlex? It's fabulous! EXCELLENT job on them.

Darrell: 25??? What the heck are you doing with 25 uFlex's? hehe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif