Cost to power ratio

ChrisEdu

Newly Enlightened
Is there a general rule of thumb relating cost to power in flashlights? Will more money generally equal more power and vice-versa? Are there any tables setting these things out?

I notice that many websites have a search by power or cost feature, and that it seems, more often than not, more power = more money, but I wondered if this was true and if there was a ratio that can generally be applied?

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
No.

usually, larger lights can handle more lumens because it can use a larger power supply, or energy source (battery). larger lights can also dissipate heat better because there is more mass. larger lights also require more raw materials to make, usually adding to the cost.

but we can thank LED manufacturers such as CREE, and Nichia for the high output lights of today. And those high output LEDs only cost a few dollars each at retail.
of course there are also builders that make more complicated lights using multiply LEDs and such, but ill keep it simple

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Generally not, there are plenty of really bright low cost lights out there. What you tend to pay for with extra cost is better thought out UI, better construction quality, fit, finish and reliability and higher circuit efficiency and/or better regulation, along with the premium for a name brand's reputation and warranty.

ChrisEdu

Newly Enlightened
So which companies tend to be the pay for the name group and who does the form and function without a premium?

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
So which companies tend to be the pay for the name group and who does the form and function without a premium?

It's not quite so simple, as companies tend to build the name based on merit, from their form and function.

Commonly seen mass production brands where you seem to pay more for the name are Surefire and foursevens, who both seem to put quite a bit of effort into marketing and building their reputation. Although they do also back their products up with respectively longer warranties, so for some the extra price is justified. Brands like Sunwayman and Zebralight also cost a premium, but SWM have really good fit and finish and Zebralight the best UI and efficiency, so again you get something for that extra money.

There are a number of good 'budget' brands, such as Convoy, which I think have about the best quality to price ratio out there. Mid-range brands also often do slightly cheaper models with good reliability, such as the Fenix E series.

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's usually a case of: "low cost, power, quality - pick 2". Like 'volume controls' of sorts where the grand total is limited. Move one slider up, some other slider(s) go down. :D

Not very useful in practice, flashlight models are not a continuous spectrum in terms of their specs & cost. And there's many lights with specific features that makes one prefer it over other options.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as output goes, XM-L2 emitter is the most output for the money.
The build quality and design varies greatly from the different flashlight builders.
The better built, and more rugged, and better finished lights, will cost you more money. A lot of people think that extra money is well spent.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere through the mid-priced range, I find increasing cost generally results in LESS power (for a given battery config). Seems the higher quality manufacturers prefer under driving their lights for durability and reliability, and I assume since they also stand behind their products with real warranties and CS, would rather not see a lot of product come back. Given the logarithmic we perceive increases in brightness - I'll happily take that trade-off when I can :).