If it existed, which would you choose: fully customizable UI or preset UI?

xellz

Newly Enlightened
After reading post about favorite ui i thought that this might be best solution, but is it for other people too? After reading many reviews and choosing my first decent multi-mode light i got this idea. Would be amazing, if you could connect light to pc or some controller to fully customize UI. I.e. could change how many modes, how strong and which order. Create and customize shortcuts, like double click, long click etc.

I don't need too many modes, just the ability to adjust brightness and how to access modes would be really good.

Well, seems can't create a poll, so here is question. Are you happy with current UI in flashlights, perhaps some small improvement or you also would love to see advanced customization option to change stock settings?

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy xellz, and welcome to CPF!
Yes, this is persistent question. Some folks don't want the hassle of a customizable UI, they want it simple. While others, like myself, want as much flexibility as possible, and don't mind a bit of complexity if it means we can setup our lights the way we want them.

There have been many iterations of the customizable UI, with HDS and NovaTac coming to mind as two companies who have come close to the perfect ideal of offering a UI that allows fixed settings with adjustable levels, along with other neat features as well, and I know of at least one company that has offered a computer interface for those types of adjustments.

Along the way, I discovered the Zebralight UI. While possibly not perfect, it's a thing of beauty and extremely well implemented.

In any case, good luck in your quest for the perfect UI. You are joining a fine group of other flashlight seekers on the same journey :D.

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fully customizable in that you can easily set it up how you want, and once its set you can leave it. Or change it if your requirements change. I have gone someway to fulfilling my goals by creating my own UI (fully customizable of course) for most of the lights I modify or make.

kj2

Flashaholic
Fully customizable is a very nice feature, but mostly you have to select your modes via a twisting-system on the light itself.
I would prefer you could hook it up on your pc, and then with a program or via the manufacturers website- you get access to the light. I know Nextorch has something like that.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
If a UI is inherently flexible, and well designed, I don't mind if it's fixed.

That said, I'm all for a fully programmable light - as has been said, you can set it up exactly how you need it.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
The idea of a fully configurable UI sounds appealing, if only because I'm a tinkerer. That said, if adding such a UI adds, say, an extra .5" in length to add room for a microUSB port, well ... I'd almost always rather they just use that room to add a side switch or an adjustable ring. And if it already has a ring, no need for a configurable UI. On the other hand, maybe a light that's already been extended because it has, say, both a tail switch and a side switch, could put the interface on the other side of the side switch -- that could be really interesting, since you get the interface real estate "for free". I can imagine hooking it up to my smartphone to quickly change it over to camping mode, then to EDC mode at the end of that trip, etc

The best configurable-UI light currently, the HDS, does have some nice things going for it, although on my Novatac there's a limitation that makes any number of fixed-UI lights work better for me at a far lower price.
I see the appeal of an adjustable-UI light using computer-based software, but maybe I just lack vision, I tend to think it would be a limited market, given that the adjustable UI could add length and/or cost, and meanwhile there's probably *some* fixed UI light out there that might be close-enough in a smaller better package.

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I choose both. The old Lf2xt got 2 ui`s. Program mode and usermode with ramping. I like both ui`s.

HaileStorm

Enlightened
I prefer a customisable ui. Mainly because I get to set it how I want it.

I still think that the predator still has the most customisable ui. It would be much better though if, like you said, there'd be a way to hook it up to a computer to set the desired parameters.

xellz

Newly Enlightened
Sure need to look around more :) Best what i saw until now was Zebralight UI and i'm planning on getting it once i can, both xm-l2 lights, sc600 mk ii and sc52. Not only performance and ui are good, but i also like their design a lot.

Should be possible to add this feature without change in size. Hide somewhere inside flashlight micro-usb or simply add wireless connection (some click sequence to engage in setup mode) Seems right question would be here, would you pay extra $ for this kind of feature or not.

Probably many here chose lights that might be not top performers in group, but had better ui or more fitting modes.

Well, at least i really would like to have easy direct access to low-med-high without the need to cycle through them, a bit more hidden such modes like turbo, moonlight, strobe etc.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be a happy with a few selectable pre-set UI configurations. I hope that's where some manufacturers will be going rather than just drive their lights even harder hoping to sell based on 3-minute lumen claims! I wouldn't mind fully customizable either but I think it might put off potential new customers so the idea though great might be ditched quickly!

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a simple kinda guy. I only need dim, average and really bright. I'm not fussed on complex UI's, as I've learned I don't need them.

What I'd really like is someone to develop a reflector that could change between orange peel and smooth by the press of a button. That would be very cool.

somnambulated

Newly Enlightened
I have to agree with Joe Talmadge, but I'll take it a step further: Control ring flashlights make programmable UIs superfluous.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had a variety of UI in various lights. Click type vario type, single mode, whatever.
In the end, I have found that I didn't need any more than a low mode, and max brightness. The less clicks or twists, the better.
No blinkies or any of that stuff, either.
Just a close range mode for like camping in a tent, or in a small room, with just a reasonable low level for close work. And then if I need more than that, just max it out.

What means a lot to me is the ability to select the brightness BEFORE the light turns on. This means BEFORE the light turns on. This does NOT mean "hold the button down until it gets to a brightness that I might want". It means the light turns on with the first click at the brightness that I want, without ANY pressing and holding or doing a Scottish jig.

I have no need for any whiz-bang techno multiple clicking user interfaces that are designed to make your technically challenged friends go Ohh and Ahh.

The best UI I have ever seen is the Malkoff Hi/Lo ring to pre-select brightness, with a reliable and positive McClicky tailswitch for On/Off/Momentary.
The Elzetta Hi/Lo is essentially the same thing, but it is all at the tail. That's also fine for one-handed control, and might be superior from some points of view.
And that's all. Nothing else.
In my opinion, this type of UI has never been exceeded by anything.

UnderPar

Enlightened
I would still prefer the fully customizable UI simply for the reason for it to fit my personal requirements. This is IMHO. Thanks

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer a three mode LL/L/H, which is quite rare, so I'd vote customizable/programmable. However, if that requires added the complexity/unreliability of electronic switches and/or magnetic control rings, I'll stick to presets and mechanical clickies.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
The amount of variation in preferences among the participants of this forum would seem to create a high value for the ability to accommodate multiple different preferences, regardless of whether this occurs when the light is ordered or by the end user.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Preset, unless it was able to somehow program both the output and number of modes desired, as well as deactivate any buttons/clickies that can turn it on. No usb ports. No free turning (without a fixed stop point off) control rings etc.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Preset, unless it was able to somehow program both the output and number of modes desired, as well as deactivate any buttons/clickies that can turn it on. No usb ports. No free turning (without a fixed stop point off) control rings etc.

mattaus' Hyperion does all that.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
HDS has it right - fully customisable if you want to, but with very sensible default settings so you can just buy it and use it as is.

Best of both worlds.