I need a good UV light.

jtice

Flashaholic
The only UV light I have is my trusty Arc AAA.
And while it does a pretty nice job for being just one 5mm.

But I want something ALOT brighter.

I would also consider making one myself. But I dont know a good place for UV leds. And they seem to rack the money up fast.

So, anyone have any info for places to get good UV leds?
And what are your recommendations for a good UV light?
I was looking at the UV X5T.
But dont know if it will be bright enough.

Thanks.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an Energize DB with the head converted to have something like 8 or 10 LEDs in it. The resistor could easily be changed to compensate for the voltage difference if there was any in a different mod. This would provide a flood of UV light, but it won't throw very far. Just a though.

-Mike

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an X5T UV and it's a great light that obviously blows the Arc AAA UV out of the water. Have you seen this light? It probably doesn't compete with the X5T, but the price is certainly reasonable. Does anyone have any comments on this light?

Peter

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Litefuse, nice link. When you say it doesn't compete with the X5T do you mean the X5T is better/brighter or something else?

Thanks.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
You could get the Vector 7 or the UView.
The Vector 7 has lensed LEDs so you get a tighter spot, and the UView has more UV LEDs (12, instead of 7) but no lenses in front of them. So you'll get a wider spot with the UView than you will with the Vector 7.

Both use a NiMH rechargeable battery pack.
The UView has no charge indicator, and you can wreck the battery if you leave it on the charger for more than 24 hours; while the Vector 7 has a "smart" charger that automatically turns off when the battery is full, and a charge/discharge indicator on the flashlight body.

I was going to suggest the InReTECH MC395 too, but I see Mike already beat me to it.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
cue003 said:
Litefuse, nice link. When you say it doesn't compete with the X5T do you mean the X5T is better/brighter or something else?

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

cue003,

I don't actually know that it doesn't compete with the X5T. I was assuming this because of the difference in the power source, (6V lithium for the X5T UV vs. 4.5V alkaline (or 3.6V NiMH) for the GG light). That and the fact that there is a substantial price difference, i.e.- you usually get what you pay for. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
INRETECH said:
Checkout the INRETECH, MC395

Review by Craig

http://www.ledmuseum.org/uv20.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

A snippet-

"This is another light you don't want to aim at your face and push the button, because you can hurt your eyes if you do that. You only get one set of eyeballs, and if you ruin them you can't just go to the 7-11 and get some Eyeballs-In-A-Can" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

Peter

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Checking ultraviolet inks in currency and ID's
Check credit cards- Discover Cards have "NOVUS", MasterCard have "M C", and Visa has an eagle in UV ink.
Activation of fluorescent inks/dyes used as anti-counterfeiting measures
Checking hand stamps at clubs
Examining artwork and glasswork for hidden repairs
Small UV source will fit inside and behind objects
Find urine stains (i.e. at the hotel before you hop in bed!)
Scan a crime scene for foreign materials
Locating damaged/cracked glassware
Fluorescing diamonds- some will glow in the dark.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
LitFuse said:
Checking ultraviolet inks in currency and ID's
Check credit cards- Discover Cards have "NOVUS", MasterCard have "M C", and Visa has an eagle in UV ink.
Activation of fluorescent inks/dyes used as anti-counterfeiting measures
Checking hand stamps at clubs
Examining artwork and glasswork for hidden repairs
Small UV source will fit inside and behind objects
Find urine stains (i.e. at the hotel before you hop in bed!)
Scan a crime scene for foreign materials
Locating damaged/cracked glassware
Fluorescing diamonds- some will glow in the dark.

[/ QUOTE ]
Also -
Locating/identifying fluorescent rocks & minerals -
(Scheelite - tungsten ore - glows brightly)
UV-curing epoxies
Theatrical special effects

stockwiz

Enlightened
I purchased this same model UV light on ebay and am pleased with the output, it's rather bright and almost painful to look at.. sometimes I wonder if I should be wearing UV protection when using it.

Don't forget to purchase some UV markers to write invisible messages to friends and significant others with, or just good old fashioned identification purposes on things around the house. (not my auction)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2971683163&category=3204

Some on ebay will mark their items with UV markers so that if a customer buys a working product and tries to return a faulty one, they'll know.

jtice

Flashaholic
Thanks for all the good input guys.

I was looking at the Inretech before.
It seems to be about the brightest one out there.
I am just trying to get a feel for how bright it is.

Does the Inova UV x5t overdrive the leds as much as the white x5t?

I imagine the Inretech would have to be about twice as bright as the x5t.

Anyone know any good places to get UV leds?
I am also keeping the option of making one open.

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember reading somewhere that you can see if a diamond is natural or synthetic by using a UV light, it was a special on National Geographic about diamonds

A natural diamond with glow under UV, but immed stop glowing as soon as the UV light is removed, but the synthetic diamond will continue to glow for a short time after the UV light has been removed

The InReTECH 20x LED product is currently the highest power UV adapter available, and we are in the works to upgrade it again to increase its output approx 60% more using high power UV LEDs

Again, this device should be used with proper caution since the light output is very powerfull and not totally visible

jtice

Flashaholic
Wow, 60% more ?!!?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Any idea when this is comming out?
Any idea on price?

What is the max voltage the current 20 led version can handle.
I dont want to use something as big as a 3D mag.
I was thinking 2x123 with a resistor.

B@rt

Flashaholic
Stockwiz, those lights are sold here (in high price country /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ) for 1 Euro... $6.99 sounds way over the top... They do work as promised tough /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Inretech, I'm curious about pricing too...

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have one of those eBay 6 LED UV lights. It is quite long since it uses 3AA's in a row. The body is solid but the head feels too light. It is quite a bit brighter than my Arc AAA UV but my Arc AAA UV doesn't produce as much "visible" light as my cheap eBay UV keychain light either. I remember a discussion on here about different versions of the Arc AAA and I must have one of the "lower" frequency LED's since not as much light is visible.

The 6 LED UV eBay light just comes in either black or silver/titanium color and the body does not have any knurling on mine. The tailcap has slight knurling and the head has a couple rings around it simply for looks.

I put 2 of the rubber sleeves that came off the Garrity/Ozark 2AA lights after I cannabalized the tailcap for my G2 clickie mods. The rubber sleeves give the eBay light a better look and feel. Then, I put some Glow Sheeting on my UV "reflector" so it's easy to find /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

All in all, a great light for the $10, shipped. Although, the guy I got mine from off eBay took F O R E V E R to get it to me. He was out of Hong Kong.

I might be able to get some picts if anyone is interested...

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
The newer High-Power UV adapter is available now from the website, MC395 $50 for the adapter

Unfort, for this high-power unit - you need to run it in a 3D case