Modding LED lantern to warm white

erict

Newly Enlightened
I'm modding one of these lanterns:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0078ZTWP4/?tag=cpf0b6-20

I'd like to upgrade to a warm white, and higher efficiency LED if possible. I've already disassembled and found it uses a 20mm star shaped LED board.

What's a good unit to replace it with, or where should I shop for one?
What's the correct term for the star shaped LED board?
Do I need more info like the voltage and amps it's being run at?

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the correct term for the star shaped LED board?

20mm star MCPCB is the usual term you'll find. Or just 20mm star PCB.

Do I need more info like the voltage and amps it's being run at?

That would be help and also a picture of the star if you can. From the picture already there, I've seen those sorts of LED modules before but you need 12V to drive them as they are usually 3 LED's clumped together. That one looks like all the legs are soldered in parallel.

erict

Newly Enlightened
Here's a shot I took:

DSC00919.jpg

I'll have to get the voltage and current later. All I know right now is it runs off three D size batteries.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can see 4 dies in the emitter but I notice that there is just 6 legs on the chip. I'm guessing that there isn't some sort of boost driver so it is going to be direct drive of some sort possibly with a resistor and it will have to be in a parallel configuration star.

So I think if you look for a CREE MC-E warm white on a 20mm star/round mount parallel configuration. It should just be a simple swap. The only thing you will need to make sure is that there isn't more than 0.7A going through each die, so in parallel that would be less than 2.8A to the star. Cutter should have some of these.

That said, you don't really need to go for a multi-die LED as a replacement. I think any 3W rated LED on a 20mm star will do the job.