So how many people carry extra batteries?

Gandalf

Enlightened
Last summer I was working very late, when the power went out. Not the worst disaster, but I was in the damn elevator! Nine O'clock at night, practically nobody in the building, and I'm stuck in the elevator. Not fun. to say the least.

Of course the first thing I did was turn on my Arc SLS and set it on the floor. I checked the emergency phone: nothing.

Then I took stock of my situation. I had my Arc SLS, with a battery that I had pretty much used up in a SureFire, so it was probably only good for 30 minutes or so. I had an extra 123 cell in the nylon case I carry my Arc SLS in on my belt, but I didn't know how good it was; I though it might be a new cell, but I wasn't sure. So if it was new, I had another 2.5 to 3 hours on that battery.

I also had my SureFire E2 with me. I didn't know how good the batteries were in it; probably about half discharged; another 2 to 3 hours, possibly a little more, from them, in the Arc-SLS.

But I also had my trusty Arc-LE with me. The battery in it was fairly fresh; probably only used it for half an hour or so. Also, my pager uses an AAA cell, although I had no idea how good the battery was. But I figured it would be good for 2 or 3 hours.

So I figured I had 12 to 14 hours of light. Far more than I would have thought, and far longer than I hoped I would be in the #$%&*&! elevator in the dark!

To make a long story short, after about an hour, the emergency phone rang, and I found out that power had been restored to the telephone system in all of the elevators (it was supposed to be on the building's emergency generator power, but for some reason, it wasn't.)

I was the only one lucky enough in the 19 story building to be in one of the 9 elevators when the power went out. They got an electrician to power my elevator from the emergency generator (they draw far too much power to be on the automatic emergency circuits, although there is supposed to be one light in each elevator that comes on during a power failure; of course it *didn't*)

So I spent about 2 ½ hours in the elevator, and I now carry 2 extra AAA batteries with me at all times. This practically guarantees I'll never need them, of course

Anybody else carry extra batteries, and if so, why?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
nice story!

i don't carry extra un used batteries, but i carry enough lights that i can last for at least a day or more.

FNG

Enlightened
I have 3 orange match boxes I got from ****'s Sporting Goods for $1 each. 1 stays with the UKE 2L (car), SL Scorpion (EDC), and X5-T (EDC2). I think im still on the second set of batteries for the 2L. Its been almost a year since ive had it.

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry backup lights on my person rather than extra batteries. At least one light is an LS and another is a 60 lumen incandescent. Arc AAA is of course with me at all times along with another keychain light.

I carry another light and extra batteries in my business case. A few more in my roadside kit and car cabin.

Total number of 123's on my person is three to five. Altogether I typically have 18 123's when I am driving.

Cheers.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I tend to consider a backup flashlight as an ideal spare battery holder. On my person, it is unusual for me to carry two SureFires unless I'm wearing a jacket or coat etc.
In my rucksack I carry to work I have an M6 and SC2, and an E2e-KL1, and a UKE-2L.
So I'm pretty well covered for SF123As.

The ArcAAA and Photons on my neck lanyard are backups now that I EDC the A2 or L1. Sometimes I don't bother with the neck lanyard though.

Al

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened
Gandalf,
I am glad that you posted your story and sorry that it happened to you in the first place. I have been involved with the administration of commercial properties including high rise office buildings for many years. Many people don't understand the short commings or natural hazards in buildings other than their own homes and are therefore very unprepared. An extra set of batteries or a few lights, a cell phone, using well light stairwells, knowing the nearest exits and such are all very important.

I have been stuck in elevators several times and that was really the pits. I was part of the building management so I could radio to my building staff and get the situation corrected. Yes there was light in the cab because we made sure that all emergency lights worked and all tired batteries were replaced.

I have since changed jobs and industries, but never stopped carrying a light or two, batteries as well.
smile.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Good story Gandalf, glad you made it through! I can't imagine whether I'd want to be stuck in an elevator with or without another person. Guess it depends on who it was! I would certainly hope it was another "Flashaholic"!
grin.gif

I'm a pretty big guy, I think I'd need snacks and what about the bathroom...hmmmm, ziploc bags...better get that "kit" together!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
A VERY thought provoking story!

I don't carry extra batteries as such, but I have several lights in my truck, and always when out of the house have my ARC-aaa or Infinity Ultra around my neck, and my Madmax MiniM*g on my belt.

I'm afraid I could never afford to carry a 3V Lith light around (He77, can't even afford an E2) as batteries would almost certainly kill me.

Just might throw a 4 pack of Lith AAs in the glovebox, along with a couple AAAs....

James Van Artsdalen

Enlightened
I always have an ARC LS. Lately I'd kept a Wolf-Eyes 6A in my pocket also.

Since the roads to my weekend cottage are remote it's quite possible that if the car breaks down I might have to wait until morning for someone to come by. Therefore I carry extra lights in the car, a SF Z3 w/KL3 and an M6 for signaling, looking in the woods, etc. I keep an SC2 with six fresh spare batteries and the M6 LOLA (the HOLA is in the M6).

If I was worried about being stuck away from the car I'd probably get an Inretech 2AA - the unregulated light would probably produce light at low levels for days.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Streamlight SL-20X with the SL-35X LA in my pick-up and I carry a second battery stick in there. In my wife's van I have a Streamlight Stinger that is awaiting its upgrade to the HP head and I have a second battery stick in there. In my work vehicle I carry both a TigerLight 8" FBOP version and a Streamlight UltraStinger. In the house I have a 3-D Mag-Lite and I am waiting for the 16-LED conversion kit to arrive next week.

Craig720

Enlightened
I don't carry extra batteries, but I do test my batteries every month. Anything that does not look bright gets swapped out into the "regular pile" for non-flashlight use.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, that's a scary story with a happy ending. For all sorts of reasons I've always dreaded getting stuck in an elevator.

I just bought an odd bunch of 123's from the nice folks at Texas Tactical Supply, who put the (2n+1)'th battery into a little ziploc baggy. I now carry that one in its baggy in my coat pocket at all times, ready to pop into my new, beloved LSH-P.

If I have my bookbag/backpack with me, then usually there's also a spare b90 for my 8nx which lives in a coat pocket during these short days of longer darkness.

Monsters_Inc

Banned
Hmmm, this story has certain made me aware of my need for a longer runtime (possibly LED) flashlight. I don't have a habit of carrying spare batts, due to the fact that I consider myself EDC'ing too much already - but this has certainly been and eye opener for me.... I'll take the stairs, I could do with the exercise.
wink.gif

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always carry spare batteries, a couple of DL123´s for my E2 and a AAA for my arc, along with the Scorpion that rides in my dayplanner and the two photons that are in my keys and belt sheath, so I could guess I am pretty much covered for 24 hours of power.

BTW I keep my spare DL 123´s in the sheath too since I drained a SF while trying to open my car one night, The spares are wrapped plastic tape, (the one used to close boxes)So I don`t know how they are, I guess since the tape is non conductive and is pretty much airtight the cells are being kept fresh. What do you guys think?

Alex

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Nice story, but sorry to hear you were stuck.

When they designed our building, they put the computer room on the emergency generator, but not the air conditioning unit for it. Somebody didn't take thermodynamics. We've got about 30 minutes of off grid uptime before things start to melt. It's been a year that way, and they're finally going to fix it this summer.

I carry two lights with me all the time, an ARC-AAA and a UK-2AAA, rather than extra batteries. I usually have from 12 to 24 AA's in the trunk of the car for the lights I carry in my coat and/or car.

Saaby

Flashaholic
I always have an Arc AAA and 95% of the time (That is always except when I forget it) I have 2 AAAs in a custom holder (Whose name will be withheld as they made me mine and said they never wanted to make one again!)

Between that and the battery IN my AAA I figure I have anywhere from 16-24 hours of light. Run the battery in the AAA until there is absolutely no light coming out (Think extreme emergency where the light is more there for comfort purposes then for actual use--people go insane in the dark) and I figure it's closer to 40-50 hours of light.

I usually carry an sLS with 2AA config. That's supposed to have a 2 hour runtime. I'm still on my original set of batteries for it (although they're getting tired). I am carrying a McLux now though, have no idea what it's runtime is like.

I like the AA config of the LS because it gives the best runtime and is extremely cheap to run.

Tomas

Banned
Thanks for the story and for making the rest of us take stock a bit.

For myself, I carry a Photon II, an Arc AAA, an Arc AAA UV, an Arc LS hybrid (I'm carrying it again), and a 2AA Opalec conversion. (I also usually have a 2AAA laser pointer.)

Aside from the batteries in the lights, I carry two spare AAAs, and a fresh CR123.

If nothing else my Arc AAA will outlast me ...
wink.gif

tomsig02.gif

_ ^..^ _

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Normally I don't carry extra batteries on me, as I am home most of the time. When I do carry extras, it would be a situational thing: going to Walmart would be 1 extra 123 for my SLS (3.5 hr runtime), while going to visit a friend, out of town, or shopping out of town, would be my SLS in 1AA config with 2 or 3 Lithium AAs (6.5-7 hrs each). I might carry my CMG Ultra as a backup light.

Here at home, I use my Solo with Matrix Module all the time, along with my SLS in 123 config. My mom has a 2AA flashlight that I put a Versalux PR-2 into, plus a 2C Mag in her room. I have a Rebel and a Lightwave Illuminater hanging from my headboard. Plus there are flashlights in the kitchen. Most of mine are in the basement Recroom along with my computer. I am never far from extra batteries here.

When I was in the hospital for my heart attack and sextuplet bypass surgery, I had my regular Infinity with me. LOL! It impressed some nurses, especially the runtime.