Is TK76 The Fenix Analogy of Windows 8?

Is TK76 The Fenix Analogy of Windows 8?

• Total voters

Polargirl

Newly Enlightened
I read the Fenix 75 Vs 76 thread as well as many other threads with posts about how much people love their TK75 and even their TK61 but I have not read anything about passion for the TK76 or even much ownership of it. The only thing difference between the TK76 and Windows 8 is that I don't hear people posting about how much they hate the TK76.

I am not trying to extend the analogy to TK75 being Windows 7 and TK61 being XP but feel free to do so if you like. The TK75 to me seems somewhat like Windows 7 in that it can do almost everything with little problems and the TK61 seems somewhat like Windows XP in that it is pure and simple for its tasks without much excess. Maybe a Vinh modified TK76 would be analogous to Windows 8.1 in that it corrects some of the problems but you can only go so far in turning trash into treasure.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Strange analogy :laughing: but windows 8 from what i hear is crap :laughing: the tk76 is not..........

I would say its quite an expensive light,quite a large light,some are not too struck on the marmite(love or hate) design.
I think its about that simple tbh..........

The tk75 offers a good package for less,is not as ...........well bold in design,i like the tk76,just with the size i dont think its a light you would often reach for.However i admit it offers more versatility to the tk75.

From the prices i have checked its over a $100 more.......so substantial but has some neat features too.........

Polargirl

Newly Enlightened
Strange analogy :laughing: but windows 8 from what i hear is crap :laughing: the tk76 is not..........

I would say its quite an expensive light,quite a large light,some are not too struck on the marmite(love or hate) design.
I think its about that simple tbh..........

The tk75 offers a good package for less,is not as ...........well bold in design,i like the tk76,just with the size i dont think its a light you would often reach for.However i admit it offers more versatility to the tk75.

From the prices i have checked its over a $100 more.......so substantial but has some neat features too.........

I added more to my original post since you last posted. Windows 8 is just as expensive as Windows 7. The one difference I noticed is that no one grumbles about the TK76 like they to Windows 8 but no one seems to post any love for it either so I am leaning towards kind of for now until I get more information.

kj2

Flashaholic
Kinda weird comparison :rolleyes:
but think you don't read much about the TK76, because it isn't a great selling light. A Fenix dealer in the US had a special sale on the TK76, not long ago, just to clear out the stock they had.

Polargirl

Newly Enlightened
Kinda weird comparison :rolleyes:
but think you don't read much about the TK76, because it isn't a great selling light. A Fenix dealer in the US had a special sale on the TK76, not long ago, just to clear out the stock they had.
My original post did actually state that I haven't seen many posts about people owning it so not being a well selling light is a logical conclusion. That would indicate at least a fair amount of research into the buying patterns of this flashlight?

kj2

Flashaholic
I think the price is the biggest reason, people aren't buying this light. And some advertising would help :)
Price difference between the 75 and 76 is to much.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Windows 8 is totally dogs dangles and you would be an absolute muppet to buy a machine with it on.It is the usual windows scenario the best operating system is always the one in the middle,either side are always poor and nothing has changed since W95 in reality.

I have never owned a 76 but the price puts me off,i would never pay that much for any light.

ven

Flashaholic
I think the price is the biggest reason, people aren't buying this light. And some advertising would help :)
Price difference between the 75 and 76 is to much.

+1
A lot of peeps go off the lumens too,and as its 2800lm compared to the cheaper tk75 2900lm i dont think that may help either to the general public who dont look further than the lm figures........imo thats all;) not saying it is that,just another factor maybe

I may think a certain mr vinh may put a little more interest out there :D

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this is a good analogy in some respects. Both are products of committee design. I can imagine a bunch of "yes men" sitting round a table all suggesting ideas which are great on their own but not so great when they try to combine all these ideas into a single product. This is where the analogy ends though. For the majority of people; if they want a computer, there simply is no other choice to a Windows PC due to low cost and ease of use. This is the exact opposite of the TK76. There are lots of better choices to the TK76 that are cheaper and easier to use.

If we lived in a world with only 3 types of flashlight, Windows would be a cheaply made TK76 knockoff, Mac OSX would be a Malkoff Hound Dog, and Linux would be a custom modded Maglite that you have to build yourself.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this is a good analogy in some respects. Both are products of committee design. I can imagine a bunch of "yes men" sitting round a table all suggesting ideas which are great on their own but not so great when they try to combine all these ideas into a single product. This is where the analogy ends though. For the majority of people; if they want a computer, there simply is no other choice to a Windows PC due to low cost and ease of use. This is the exact opposite of the TK76. There are lots of better choices to the TK76 that are cheaper and easier to use.

If we lived in a world with only 3 types of flashlight, Windows would be a cheaply made TK76 knockoff, Mac OSX would be a Malkoff Hound Dog, and Linux would be a custom modded Maglite that you have to build yourself.

I have to take issue with you here.I had to buy a new Laptop and hard as i tried i never got a trusted seller willing to give me confidence to build one with W7 like i was using. other than to buy W8.

I plainly was not going to be a muppet and bought a Chromebook working on Chrome OS,cheaper and faster and suits my needs so much i bought another and will add a third this year.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to take issue with you here.I had to buy a new Laptop and hard as i tried i never got a trusted seller willing to give me confidence to build one with W7 like i was using. other than to buy W8.

I plainly was not going to be a muppet and bought a Chromebook working on Chrome OS,cheaper and faster and suits my needs so much i bought another and will add a third this year.

I'm sure Chrome is a fine operating system, but it's not for everyone. It's just too limited in terms of compatibility with popular software and hardware, gaming etc. I maintain what I said about Windows computers being the most suitable for the majority of people. If I could add a fourth light into my analogy, Chrome would be a Fenix UC50 with its proprietary battery and charger.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't compare the TK76 with Windows 8. Windows 8 just blows. But I'm sure the TK76 is a perfectly good light. The problem with it is that it is too expensive and poorly packaged. If it was cheaper and if it was not such a big, heavy, awkward, and unwieldy light, it would actually be a good light.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone has just made me laugh on another forum not related to this hobby.The poster has just posted he has not found any forum including computer forums who has a good word to say about W8.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Someone has just made me laugh on another forum not related to this hobby.The poster has just posted he has not found any forum including computer forums who has a good word to say about W8.

Suggest they get a mac.

:D

drummer132132

Enlightened
As a TK76 owner I can say that I would not compare it to Windows 8...at all...but nor would I compare it to Windows 7 (Windows 7 kicks the snot out of Windows 8). It's a torch that fits multiple rolls but for some may leave you wanting more. For example, the spotlight. I find that it does throw quite well but for those who are used to something like a TK75 or equal you may not like the TK76's throw performance but to be honest I get the feeling it's not meant to compare to that kind of distance but more of a middle ground. It's there if you need it feel. The TK76 is flexible. Gives you flood/spot when you need it (without a blinding hotspot) and does it well. One of the main reasons I bought the TK76 was to find something that could illuminate my backyard without being too much of a disturbance to my neighbors (I also wanted to stick to the Fenix brand). The TK76 fits that role nicely and conveniently due to the ability of being attachable to a tripod. However, it doesn't come without a few cons. It is heavier/bulkier in comparison to other lights. For walking on a sidewalk in an urban setting the widest flood angle may not be ideal since you may "disturb" cars as they pass by but the second flood is perfect for it. Second is price (which many have voiced concerns about). Does the ability of the light warrant the price? Maybe is how I would answer that. Ideally we all want something cheaper in general but you do get a great light even though the price is higher.

Overall the stock TK76 is a great light and to show some love to the TK76 I would say like it a lot. Is there room for improvement? Sure. I would love to get a higher lumen output on all of the LED's as well as further throw distance from the spotlight. I know Vinh is going to be working his magic for the TK76 which might push me from saying "I like it a lot" to "I love this light."

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
LOL

Yeah, its like Vinh takes the Windows versions and makes MACs out of them...so they go from so so sellers to hot cakes.

:D