Looking for a keychain light with some real throw?

hgilsew23

Newly Enlightened
So I was delivering in a wooded area and three guys walked up on us with shotguns we didn't even see them till they were two feet away they (as I cleaned my shorts out) told us they where just hunting so now I'm looking for a keychain light with power I had a mag solitaire but it's just not strong enough I have been looking at a zebralight sc62d I was thinking of just making my own attachment for a key ring and bolting it on where the belt clip goes my only requirement is that it not be longer then 4 inch because that's how long my knife is I keep on the ring now so are there any better options anyone can think of?

Ps. I was also looking at eagletac D25c titanium but have seen some bad reviews on here

eaglemax

Newly Enlightened
I bought one from the D25 series because I read good reviews in the main plus a man on another forum said it was good. Can you point me to where you read the bad review on here because so far the reviews I read are good. Perhaps my poor English makes the torch look better.

hgilsew23

Newly Enlightened
It was on here that I read about some malfunctioning click switches and problems with the head having to be screwed on just so otherwise the light wouldn't work and issues with the light cutting in and out and for that amount of money that light should function flawlessly the zebralight on the other hand all I have seen is people raving about them and some are even hard to find they are so popular I'm really just looking for bad comments on the zebralight before I buy it

ven

Flashaholic
If you search enough you can find issues/faults with pretty much any light out there,surefire to fenix to whatever.

If you put d25a fault in google,chances are it will bring you to here on the 1st page of results,same with pretty much any make .

Not just lights but cars too,head gasket on XXXXXX car..........you would never buy a car :laughing:

So a little more serious,i can recommend the d25a ti,its a little beautifully made light for the money.The UI i find good(not amazing just good),head tight turbo and strobe by clicky select.Head loose and modes,go through modes twice fast and flashy disco time.However they have to be gone through quick twice,at any time one 1/2 press for longer than 0.5 seconds stops the next level and returns back. Not prefect,but does not take long to get used to,and works well.

Issues can be from threads not being clean for example too...........

Its a very popular light for a reason,great value,can run on AA or 14500 3.7v cells(obv not for prolonged periods due to heat) and it does increase all the modes ,low/med ETC brightness although it retains them.So low is now a brighter low,if a low low is used then an AA eneloop would be better in use for example........

As its popular you will always get an issue or 2 reported.........same with anything,sell a 1000 of something i am sure 1 will have issues,that 1 person posts "d25a wont turn on,wont this,wont that "all of sudden the d25a is a risky buy as now 10 people in 10,000 have issues............just examples ,no figures,no surveys done just a point;)

So if you like them,buy one like i did,i bought mine on the back of the d25cvn ti as i loved it that much i had to have the d25a ti,regrets YES!!! I should have got one sooner:D

As i like a pic,just for you dqg brass and spy with d25cvn and d25a ti

My d25a ti food

The holster is of good quality too

The d25c ti is another option too being that little bit smaller

Another option is the v11r with extension,this will run on AA/14500 with extension and 123/16340 cells

Next to the d25c

I would say its a little big for a key chain light imho so i have the dqg spy on mine but obviously not a thrower(little wall of light so flood)

cheers ven:D

Edit -presumed d25a,realised after d25c but have it covered,sorry about that ;-)

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
What i should add regarding the d25cvn is its modded by vinh,de-domed for throw so it is a pocket monster.Runs on an IMR16340 for best performance.
Close up beam shot of d25cvn..........can see the hot spot. Admitidly not the best pic but gives an idea

d25a on left dome on,d25cvn de-dome on right

Just a thought,vinh is the man if you want a pocket thrower

Just incase de-dome you double or more the throw,loose around 10% of lumens but not noticeable(little more to it than that but just a little insight if you dont know)

ragweed

Enlightened
My vote is for the Fenix LD01. I don't know what kind of woods you were in where 2 guys were able to sneak up on you at night but, I can hear Deer moving from 50 yards away easily!

hgilsew23

Newly Enlightened
Large diesel box truck running with lift gate going up and down right next to you and you can't here jack moving from 50 yards I could be doing jumping jacks 20 feet from you in the pitch black throw in some brush with that thing running and you would never know it I promise you now give you a little light that will throw out 500LM you can shine around the area and you might have a chance at seeing me IF the brush isn't to thick ever been to the Everglades here in FL

Thank you for the insight ven that's really given me something to think about I never even considered the sunwayman I need something that is pretty tough to I'm not easy on my equipment in fact that's why I liked the titanium thought it might be tougher but that sunwayman has very similar stats as the zebralight I like the 500 LM in that tiny little package that's a lot of light going down range what are the other two things in that first picture one of them looks like a light?

ven

Flashaholic
There is a 10180 cell,a case for the cell that can be used for a spacer for charging,a DQG fairy(brass) and DQG spy

Great key chain lights

Have trits in

As can see tiny

10180 /spy/16340/18650/26650

ven

Flashaholic
Few pics of the sunwayman as you like the idea

lowest setting on infinite control ring

ext for AA/14500 use

In the metal case with the mirage

cheers ven

braddy

Enlightened
I would have thought a AAA cell light such as you recommend as not much of a thrower, surely it is to small.

Here is an 2011 LD01 at 36 feet, for a AAA, the LD01 is a lot of flashlight, and on low goes for 27 hours, and is bullet proof.

DSC_0003.jpg

eaglemax

Newly Enlightened
Few pics of the sunwayman as you like the idea

lowest setting on infinite control ring

ext for AA/14500 use

In the metal case with the mirage

cheers ven

Hello man Mr Ven
I like that torch what is it please, I buy it, like the nice colours looks like a snake.

Here is an 2011 LD01 at 36 feet, for a AAA, the LD01 is a lot of flashlight, and on low goes for 27 hours, and is bullet proof.

DSC_0003.jpg

Hello man Braddy

12 metres is not a long way, many torch's in UK shops like my favourite Tesco has good as well.

Enlightened
I have the LD01 on my keys and I wouldn't call it a thrower. It's near useless beyond 20-30 feet and that's in the concrete jungle. In a real jungle I'd imagine you'd need something more substantive.

braddy

Enlightened
I have the LD01 on my keys and I wouldn't call it a thrower. It's near useless beyond 20-30 feet and that's in the concrete jungle. In a real jungle I'd imagine you'd need something more substantive.

I saw that he carried a Solitaire and I got off on the LD01 as a vast improvement, but I see that he may be looking for an actual thrower.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw that he carried a Solitaire and I got off on the LD01 as a vast improvement, but I see that he may be looking for an actual thrower.

Agreed. He wants to be able to see the shotgun toting strangers when they are at a distance. Sounds like he needs a real thrower.

D25cvn is probably the best you can without modding yourself.

If you want something cheaper that still has decent throw, you could try a budget Sipik 68. Just make sure to run it on 14500 instead of AA.

eaglemax

Newly Enlightened
Sounds to me he needs a proper man torch not a girly key chain light that we man all use to open our doors. My D25A would be smallest I buy as I have an Aldi key chain light and was only a couple of Euros in my home country.

hgilsew23

Newly Enlightened
I don't know if I would classify five hundred lumens as a girly keychain light and the reason is when I get out of the truck in the dark in the middle of nowhere and I already have my breakaway keys for the back of the truck in one hand and delivery paperwork in the other hand it REALY comes in handy but yes I'm now between the Sunwayman V11R and the Zebralight SC62D both seem to be very tough and both will throw a LOT of light down range

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have both D25Cvn and V11rvn.
My d25cvn is a much better thrower by far, but I use the V11rvn much more.