Good reasonable choice to use up expended Lithiums

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Folks - Looking to purchase a torch for the sole purpose of squeezing every bit of energy out of expended Lithiums. My collection of Lithiums is beginning to grow from the use of my Scorpion and TL-3 Xenon! My price range would extend out to say $50.

Thanks in advance...

Dave

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Inova X5T sucks them down to nothing. So far it's the best single torch I've found for doing this. You can definately find them for less than $50. I think I got mine for about $36.

If you've got a KL1, get a (3X123 or 2XAA) Vital Gear tube from Tadgear. This works really well also. I think they're about $20.

Skyline

Enlightened
Yup, a KL1 or Arc LS would be wonderful for using up those "expended" Lithiums. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Arc should have a limited number of Arc LSLs available on sale for $60 (which includes the 2AA power pack) on Dec 29th.

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
Why not strap a LED to them? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
suckitdown.jpg

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can get a hold of an Arc LS1, it's great for the task. It's voltage multiplier circuit will completely suck the 123's dry. My spent 123 pile is growing faster than the LS1 can suck them dry, despite the fact I mainly use Li-Ions in my lights. I thought briefly about selling my LS1 but considering its ability to get very useable light out of spent 123's and AA's, I have decided it's a keeper.

CM

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battery draining is the only thing I use my Arc LS for anymore. I use the light for navigating the house when everyone else is asleep and I don't change batteries until the light turns out. I have the hybrid model with twisty and am considering posting an ad to trade for an original LS1 for even better battery suckage...

Mark

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Good reasonable choice to use up expended Lith

How does the Madmax compare with the Arc LS in draining the battery? I have read that the Madmax has the same type of circuit as the Arc LS1. So I would guess it would be operable down to the same voltage, which I believe is about 0.8 volts?

Paul

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast

Isn't the Arc LS Series regulated? If so, how could I benefit from a regulated torch for my purpose of draining the life out of Lithiums. I would think that non-regulated would be the way to go?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Minjin said:
Battery draining is the only thing I use my Arc LS for anymore. I use the light for navigating the house when everyone else is asleep and I don't change batteries until the light turns out. I have the hybrid model with twisty and am considering posting an ad to trade for an original LS1 for even better battery suckage...

Mark

[/ QUOTE ]

Mark,

Guess you're not the only one who considered "downgrading" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The old LS1's are great for emergencies and situations where you don't need blinding bright light. I'd like to have a few of these old LS1's for when the power goes out. I have a ton of AA's and 123's and don't want to be runtime limited during emergencies. The LS1's get several hours of useable light on 1xAA's which is perfect.

CM

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
My LS1 is good for sucking both 1AA's, and 123's. Never get rid of your First Run LS's. The only thing I want to do to mine is install a high dome, low bin led, and LP Fraen.

Bill

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't the Arc LS Series regulated? If so, how could I benefit from a regulated torch for my purpose of draining the life out of Lithiums. I would think that non-regulated would be the way to go?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
My LSH-P will go into moon mode, fairly dim, in about 2 hrs, at which point I can put battery into my LS1, and get almost full light output, then over a period of time it will get dimmer, etc. If you ran an explended 123 direct drive it would barely turn a one watt led on, let alone expend the battery. Running an explended 123 in a 5mm led regulated light would make sense.

Bill

a

Erik Johnson

Newly Enlightened

Given the long runtime in the one cell 123 shootout, I was hoping that my TW4 would work. My L4 just went out of regulation (man was it ever obvious), so I placed one of the SureFire cells in my e1e body and placed the KL4 head on it (2.5 volts). Not so much as a single photon (yes, I count photons as a hobby:). I could probably use moon mode of L4 for a while.

I am waiting for the dimmable Arcs before I buy my first one.

Anyone have a TW4 that can use a 2.5 volt battery? (probably has something to do with the forward voltage rating for a 5 watt luxeon).

Erik.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you have a KL1, try it on your Ele body. It should produce photons for awhile.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Streamlight TL2-LED works very well for this too. I tried some near dead 123s that would not light my L1 or an Opalec modded E1, and a pair of them in the TL2-LED threw a nice distinct beam (looked very much like a Rebel or Impact beam) of light about 40 feet across the house. I was very impressed!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

When my 123's meassure 2.5 volts, they mostly will not turn anything on. For some reason a 123 reading 2.5 volts is different than two AA NiMH's reading 1.25 volts each, or ev en two alkaline AA's reading 1.25 volts each. The NIMH's, and alkalines will still fire up my Arc LSH-P to good light output. The 2.5 volt 123 will not turn it on.

Bill

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast

The 123's in my Inova X5 are measuring 2.43 volts. They are still providing minimal light. Probably not for long though. I'm guessing maybe 45 min. Anything after that will probably be to dim to be useful.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dukester, I made an electronic candle, the Milky Candle, for this purpose. I'm in the process of sending out units from a pilot build of them and unfortunately don't have any to spare, but you might be interested in one or even two units from the next run. The ones from the pilot build have been selling for about $26, and hopefully the next run will cost a similar amount, though I can't guarantee that. You can read about the Milky Candle over here.