*new* Fenix diving flashlight SD10

colight

Enlightened
Fenix has released a new motion control torch SD,100-meter submersible,motion control, max 930 lumen output

84201471654PM68600_zps3d9304ac.jpg

84201471650PM27374_zps434070bc.jpg

kj2

Flashaholic
Looking good. Wonder how thick that glass is, to handle water pressure around 100 meters depth.

aau007

Enlightened
I don't dive and don't have a diving light but want to know this. Fenix says beam distance of 300m max. Is that underwater beam distance? How does the water affect beam distance?

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
Yeah, I can guarantee that is on dry land. First off, when you're diving, you generally want a very tight beam. The flood beams reflect off the water and can make it harder to see. Now, there are times for flood beams for sure, but I always go towards spot like beams. This light is super bright and has what, around 20k candela. Way to floody for being a high output light like that.

Second, water just sucks up light and bounces it back at you. I always cut my beam beam distance in half for useful light on land. So, 150m on land. I would say anywhere from a 3rd of that if you're lucky, to less than a 5th of that in the water. That's if you're lucky.

If the water isn't so clear, you're going to blind yourself with something like that on high.

Custom aspherical lights are fairly common with the guys I know.

whtwalker

Newly Enlightened
please keep us updated! :)

I got the light and it is a nice compact dive light. The light has a nice heft and sturdiness to it. I like the size of the lanyard hole, perfect LED neutral color, and surprisingly nice flood/throw. I'm going to test it this weekend for some reef walking and some night time free diving. The orange band around the top is removable, but gives good grip turning the light with one hand. Also, the switching of modes is pretty cool. It will not automatically switch modes moving in it around, you need to give it a little jolt up/down or side/side. The light can also switch modes loosening and tightening the tailcap. I would not hesitate picking one up. I got mine for $54 + a coupon code and free shipping. Here are some pictures:
sd10%2B1.JPG

sd10%2B2.JPG

sd10%2B3.JPG

Pandorum

Newly Enlightened
I got the light and it is a nice compact dive light. The light has a nice heft and sturdiness to it. I like the size of the lanyard hole, perfect LED neutral color, and surprisingly nice flood/throw. I'm going to test it this weekend for some reef walking and some night time free diving. The orange band around the top is removable, but gives good grip turning the light with one hand. Also, the switching of modes is pretty cool. It will not automatically switch modes moving in it around, you need to give it a little jolt up/down or side/side. The light can also switch modes loosening and tightening the tailcap. I would not hesitate picking one up. I got mine for $54 + a coupon code and free shipping. Here are some pictures:
sd10%2B1.JPG

sd10%2B2.JPG

sd10%2B3.JPG

Nice, adding this to my buy list.
One question, does the motion switch rattle?

whtwalker

Newly Enlightened
It doesn't float. It has a large lanyard hole and it can still tailstand easily.
Does it float? :D

The construction is really solid. There is a spring on the head and down at the tail end. The battery is really secure and it really feels like a well made light. I wouldn't hesitate on picking one up. If you look around, you can find this for under $60.
Nice, adding this to my buy list.
One question, does the motion switch rattle?