Jetbeam RRT-01 ring issue

Przemo(c)

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,

Just bought an RRT-01 recently as one of my candidates of endless pursuit of a perfect EDC.
I must admit I'm very pleased with it, especially size, the output, OP reflector and especially that infinite output regulation. However, at the same time it is a pain in the bottom, because this bloody ring keeps switching the light on while I carry it in the holster! It takes quite a turn to engage this light, but it does it. No doubt about that. Few times I got my battery drained completely and few times I managed to spot it on time, however the light was already on for probably some time.
Im using old Fenix holster which is elastic extendable strap on the sides and nylon fabric on front and back. While I'm walking, sitting, etc the magnetic ring is engaged slowly somehow and eventually turns the light on.
I assume, that I'm using wrong holster or this whole ring idea without clicky switch is crap. I dunno :(
Could you please share with your thoughts...? I'd really love to keep this light as the EDC, but this accidental switching on is killing me :(((
Help ....

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like the way your holster moves, turns the ring. You could add a bit of rubber to where the light body sits (More grip to hold the light still in the holster), or use the clip on the holster while it's holstered, or find a holster that doesn't rotate it. I can't tell you what holster works well, though. I carry my RRT-01 at work on its belt clip. I do a partial-twist to lock it out - The threads are anodized, so when the contact ring in the head is even slightly unscrewed from the body, the light will not turn on. The O-ring has held securely for me, but it would not do so if it were in bad shape. The "screw back together" to unlock and "turn ring to turn on" are opposite directions. It takes me a moment longer to activate my RRT-01 when it's locked out, but it doesn't take any more hands than turning the ring.

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
Hi Guys,

Just bought an RRT-01 recently as one of my candidates of endless pursuit of a perfect EDC.
I must admit I'm very pleased with it, especially size, the output, OP reflector and especially that infinite output regulation. However, at the same time it is a pain in the bottom, because this bloody ring keeps switching the light on while I carry it in the holster! It takes quite a turn to engage this light, but it does it. No doubt about that. Few times I got my battery drained completely and few times I managed to spot it on time, however the light was already on for probably some time.
Im using old Fenix holster which is elastic extendable strap on the sides and nylon fabric on front and back. While I'm walking, sitting, etc the magnetic ring is engaged slowly somehow and eventually turns the light on.
I assume, that I'm using wrong holster or this whole ring idea without clicky switch is crap. I dunno :(
Could you please share with your thoughts...? I'd really love to keep this light as the EDC, but this accidental switching on is killing me :(((
Help ....

Had the same problem with pocket carry..if you're handy with tools and have a dremel or small router, you can open up the head to access the ball detent on the control ring. Look for the detent groove and dremel it out with a ball pointed router tool to give the ring a firmer and more secure click into the off position. Otherwise, do a hard lockout by loosening the head by a quarter turn.

Dubois

Enlightened
I've never had a problem with my RRT-01 coming on in it's holster - I use one that I got from Intl. Outdoor Stores a year or so ago - although the ring is pretty loose, and I keep thinking that I will have such a problem. I rarely carry it without a holster precisely because I'm confident it will come on if left loose in my pocket.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or you could just get a SWM V11R with momentary on/off clicky and not worry about it.

I mean, if I have to have a router and/or Dremel tool to fix a light so it doesn't come on in its holster, or in my pocket, it's time to get a new light, right?

Chris

Przemo(c)

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, that looks like a good bunch of solutions to this issue. I think I stick to the unscrewing the head 1/4 of a turn. That should do the job. Not perfect solution, but...
I would absolutely love to have a clicky on that light. Any ideas how could I get one? Maybe the one from RRT-0 would fit... Obviously that would mean the whole tube / battery compartment swap. Is the thread the same on these lights?
Thanks!