Went Retro Tonight in a Graveyard!

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Happy Halloween!

Every year I volunteer at the Sacramento Historic Cemetery for a fund raiser, the Lantern Tours. Local actors do skits about the colorful lives and deaths of those entombed there. I am an usher. It is corny and campy and always a good time.

This year I used a red SF L1 as my usher light, my pocket light was a SF Titan, and my shits and giggles light was a M6 w/MN15 LA (last year it was a M3 retrofitted with a KX9). The M6 still satisfies! A brilliant white beam that throws without the dust glare you get with a 500+ lumen LED thrower. I also brought spare cells for all the lights and a spare MN15 LA!

When my eyes got night adapted the red L1 was actually a really good spotting light within 15 meters.

Now the flashlight snob in me has to comment on the lights the masses brought. The only decent light someone had, a fellow usher BTW was a AA Mag LED. The rest was crap that I would not let my 6 and 7 year old daughters use. My Girls have their own Surefires!

I was thinking about taking my Malkoff Wildcat tonight but I am very happy that I took my trusty M6 instead.

Thanks for sharing.

kelmo

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me retro would be taking out my 2 vintage lights... you know, the ones with the yellow uneven spots that throw about 5 feet away and 1% spill? It just makes you get that feeling from that first flashlight all over again. Thanks to your post, I will be charging the batteries I put in there and play with those for the week :D

On second thought, why not go 100% retro with a fire-on-a-stick? :devil:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Retro on this would have been one of those whale oil hurricane lanterns! Of course, I wouldn't slay Moby **** for a historic tour. So, maybe a Coleman would have been a great accessory to the M6! I laughed about the girls and the Surefires. My 11 y/o daughter has a custom pink G2 Nitrolon with a pink paracord lanyard. She loves it!

watt4

Enlightened
. Hmmm, I do have a REI candlelier lantern...

I would had had that thing sitting or hanging around somewhere. even hidden behind a tombstone way over yonder, the glow around the stone would have gotten some attention. :)

I have one, too. I burned one of the candles to see if it would last the advertised time, and it did.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you said retro I thought you were going to say you brought a candlestick, lol.

My first thought was actually an original 1970s vintage Eveready Commander. You know, those smooth metal flashlights with the red plastic head that EVERYBODY had back in the 70s.

image_zps3b44535a.jpg